Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello...  & Feel of the S40 Ride (Read 146 times)
npcrs40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hello...  & Feel of the S40 Ride
05/29/10 at 17:34:42

Hello, I am new to suzukisavage.com.  I had a GZ250 (and loved it) but wanted a bit more power so I moved to a 2005 S40.  I have been riding the S40 for a couple of months now.

I have a question about the feel of the ride.  There are times when I feel that the bike has a push/pull feel to it.  It is usually when I am cruising along without a load on the engine.  So, is it just that I am at that point where I am in the middle of acel/decel?  Have others felt this?  I did not feel this with my GZ250 but now I have more power and belt drive.  I am just wondering if this is how the big single 650 behaves.  

I do a lot of back road riding.  I often go where ever the wind takes me.  I also use Google Maps, switching between the terrain & map view to find interesting roads to ride on.

In any case, I am having a lot of fun with my S40.  I mounted a Garmin Quest GPS in the center of the handlebars.  I used a RAM mount frankensteined to a Garmin Nuvi motorcycle mount and it is easier to see the speed on the GPS.  I also chose one of my display settings as the trip odometer so it always shows my trip mileage (handy).  I put a new battery in the Quest and It does run for a long time before it needs charging (I don't know that it lasts 20 hrs on the aftermarket battery but I can get 3 or 4  trips of 3-4 hrs before recharging).  So, I do not need to wire it for power.  My quest was about $65 on ebay and the new battery was $25.

I relocated the turn signals to the license plate mount and I use a set of small TourMaster saddlebags.  Those are my only changes.  I get about 55-60 mpg (not as much as the 68 mpg that the GZ250 got but very respectable with the greater amount of power).

I hope to get a wide angle lens adapter for my flash camcorder and mount that for a few of the rides I take.

I custom made my saddlebag mounting bars and I will have some pictures and text on that soon.

Well, that's all for now. Hello, again, hello.
Don

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Hello...  & Feel of the S40 Ride
Reply #1 - 05/29/10 at 17:47:47

I've been riding for 38 years and have had a lot of difference bikes,Its the least stable of all the bikes I've ridden,The front end is to light compared to the back is the trouble.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/29/10 at 17:54:41

I'd recommend a fork brace.  The forks are a bit whippy and the brace make them feel more solid.  Especially over uneven road surfaces.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/29/10 at 18:30:21

I've got a fork brace its still to light on the front end.My wifes 1980 GN 400 was far more stable.The back end is to short on the bike just look at a side view and you can see it.If it had a 2 inch longer swing arm on the back a think it would be ok.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 05/29/10 at 18:34:24

npcrs40 wrote on 05/29/10 at 17:34:42:
I have a question about the feel of the ride.  There are times when I feel that the bike has a push/pull feel to it.  It is usually when I am cruising along without a load on the engine.  So, is it just that I am at that point where I am in the middle of acel/decel?  Have others felt this?

That sounds very similar to my experience. If it is the same, it's called "lean hunting". Read up on the "white spacer mod".

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
npcrs40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/30/10 at 04:56:21

It feels [to me], based on experience with other vehicle types, to be engine related.  I have not done the white spacer mod yet but I am
planning to.  I had not considered that as the cause of what the ride sensation feels like but it sounds logical now as I hear it.  I do have the backfiring problem but it is not severe, so I was in no hurry to do the white spacer mod.  Now, though, I will do it to see if it takes care of both problems.

The S40 handles ok for me.   Maybe because I weigh a bit more than I should (working on that, not that I am way too heavy, just too heavy to be healthy at my age, 53). Maybe I just don't demand too much from the bike (though it pretty much does whatever I ask it to).
Don

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/30/10 at 05:34:13

Your problem is engine related (surging) caused buy a lean fuel condition, typical of these bikes. In my experience, the white spacer mod fixed it perfectly. But the white spacer mod will do nothing for the backfiring,......which is also typical of these bikes,....despite what some here will tell you. If the backfire is severe, it can be improved upon, but eliminating it completely, is near impossible.

If you do the spacer mod, be very careful that you don't ruin those 2 little philip head screws trying to get them out,....sometimes very tight. A small impact driver from HF is reported to work good on this. If not, use a good fitting driver, and lots of body weight.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/30/10 at 06:03:29

& pay attention to which side is up on the silver plate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 05/30/10 at 08:22:23

Yeah, the dimple goes DOWN.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com