Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical problem (Read 97 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Electrical problem
05/29/10 at 12:59:14

Okay - so the battery is good.  I checked with a voltometer and it was 13.5 with the bike and 13.5 with the bike running.  I've kind of figured out that it is the "stator" (sp) or related items.  I'm just not sure what to do with that information.  I'm not a mechanic kind of guy!

Thanks!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical problem
Reply #1 - 05/29/10 at 13:40:39

I think you've been here before, but I don't know for sure.

If you're expecting everyone to memorize your problem, you're expectin' way too much.

Tell us again what's goin' on and why you're lookin' at the battery and stator.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/29/10 at 13:43:18

Symptoms?...

When you turn the key to on,... is your headlight bright?,.. on at all?...
...when you hit the starter,... is does it crank?,... click?...
...are your fuses good?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #3 - 05/29/10 at 15:14:49

Sorry guys -

Originally I had to jump start it.  When it was ridden home, I noticed that the tail light, light, and blinkers kindof flickered.  Got it home, put it on the charger for about a week.  Tried the horn first this morning and it was weak but the bike started.  I put a voltometer on it and got the readings above.  Callled the shop and said that it could the stator or related smaller items.  I just don't know how to go about determining where the problem is.

Thanks!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/29/10 at 15:26:59

check the ground to the engine
rear of the engine next to the oil level window
make it tight and clean
also the same with the battery connections.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/29/10 at 21:55:40

Quote:
so the battery is good.  I checked with a voltometer and it was 13.5 with the bike and 13.5 with the bike running.
-------------------------------------------------------
13.5 with the bike ??? What is that supposed to be telling us ??
If that was supposed to say, "with the bike not running", that would be near impossible, because the standing voltage of even a brand new battery is never more than 12.8,.....possibly 13.0 if tested immedieatly after charging. Roll Eyes
Then again if that was supposed to say 12.5 w/ the bike not running, that would be normal.

13.5+ with the bike running, sounds perdy normal for a bike that has a good operating charging system.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #6 - 05/29/10 at 23:02:00

13.5 with the bike ??? What is that supposed to be telling us ??
If that was supposed to say, "with the bike not running", that would be near impossible, because the standing voltage of even a brand new battery is never more than 12.8,.....possibly 13.0 if tested immedieatly after charging. Roll Eyes
Then again if that was supposed to say 12.5 w/ the bike not running, that would be normal.

13.5+ with the bike running, sounds perdy normal for a bike that has a good operating charging system. [/quote]

All I can tell you is that when the bike was off AND when the bike was running the voltage was 13.5.  That's what the voltometer read and we did the test twice.  This was done right after being charged for one week.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/29/10 at 23:10:18

regardless of what the VOM says, same volts on or off aint to good.
start her up and hook up the vom, bring the rpms up to 4000 and check the volts then.  should be higher.  Idle it won't be above battery voltage.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 05/30/10 at 13:11:39

Let the battery set for a day or 3, then the surface charge will go away and you will get the true standing voltage (state of charge) If it falls to less than 12.4, the battery ain't what it should be.
If the battery won't hold 10.5 volts (measured on the battery terminals) while cranking, the battery is bad.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:25:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.