Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle technology for the physically handicapp (Read 137 times)
trev0006

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motorcycle technology for the physically handicapp
05/29/10 at 08:50:45

Motorcycle technology for the physically handicapped

Have no idea what it costs but looks like a solid product.

Motorcycle and cars video collection
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Motorcycle technology for the physically handi
Reply #1 - 05/29/10 at 09:17:45

For physically handicap of someone who has a problem putting feet down this would work.  I would expect that someone from SuzukiSavage could make it.

At the sidecar show in Griffith Park had one that had a ramp holding a sidecar for a wheel chair, and controls for the sidecar.  Others have cutch for bad hands, other things.  Riding a motorcycle is capable if you really need to ride.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/29/10 at 09:41:12

With the neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, I cannot drive a car or truck anymore and a decent conversion is expensive.
I have not driven my van for more than 3 years.  My motorcycles serve me very well as a disabled persons ride.
My dead feet can still kick the gear lever altho missed shifts are an occasional problem.  Most of the time the front brake is all I use.  If in an emergency, I need more, a deadfoot stomp on the rear break works.
The sidecar makes it so that my weak legs do not have to hold the bike up at stops.  For 2 wheel rides, a TW200 is light enough that I still do not have a problem, and the huge fat tires give enough stability in harsh braking situations.
All three of my bikes have disabled labels on them.
This occasionally caused ill feelings from other disabled folk in parking lots who think that I should not be riding with a disabled plate.
Mostly these are people who are disabled because they are morbidly obese.  Their attitude mirrors their eating habits.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/29/10 at 11:13:25

Phelonius wrote on 05/29/10 at 09:41:12:
With the neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, I cannot drive a car or truck anymore and a decent conversion is expensive.
I have not driven my van for more than 3 years.  My motorcycles serve me very well as a disabled persons ride.
My dead feet can still kick the gear lever altho missed shifts are an occasional problem.  Most of the time the front brake is all I use.  If in an emergency, I need more, a deadfoot stomp on the rear break works.
The sidecar makes it so that my weak legs do not have to hold the bike up at stops.  For 2 wheel rides, a TW200 is light enough that I still do not have a problem, and the huge fat tires give enough stability in harsh braking situations.
This occasionally caused ill feelings from other disabled folk in parking lots who think that I should not be riding with a disabled plate.
Mostly these are people who are disabled because they are morbidly obese.  Their attitude mirrors their eating habits.

Phelonius

good for you phelonius, A true 100 % motorcyclist 365 days a year,my Dad was the same way, not because because of any disability. to be honest in those days we just could't afford a car, he would put the old chair on every November,and take it off come April or May. Absolutly right on those fat people with handicapped stickers,it really pisses me off to see them pull in and then waddle into Wal-mart.
Depending on my mood I have been known to confront these fat people (mostly women for some reason) and say in a kind but a little
sarcasticly,"Madam,if you took the few minutes to park way over there and waddling in ,you might lose a pound a month".
they usually start back at me with the fowlest language you ever heard,
I just point to my ears and mouth the word deaf.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 05/29/10 at 16:01:33

Phelonius, congratulations on at least not letting your situtation keep you off the bikes. You show us where their is a will their is a way.

If someone questions your handicapp status, tell them you will trade them feet. To walk a mile in your shoes, as you would love to be able to walk a mile period... Wink

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 05/29/10 at 21:05:49

Phelonius wrote on 05/29/10 at 09:41:12:

Phelonius

I know the feeling. I have disabled plates on both my bikes and the looks I get. Especially when I pull my cane out from under the seat on the Burgman.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/29/10 at 21:40:14

I was hoping there might be something there to help me ,but no luck.
I'm doomed to my cage from now on Sad

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 05/29/10 at 22:06:27

Mick,

Where there is a will, there is a way. Don't give up!

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/30/10 at 05:14:29

For 2 wheel rides, a TW200 is light enough that I still do not have a problem, and the huge fat tires give enough stability in harsh braking situations.

I rode one a few days ago. Those knobby tires make turning an event. Id never felt the way they change things before.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 05/30/10 at 07:43:02

Yeah, but those fat wheels are different than normal dirt bike.  My uncle had a Suzuki RV-125.  My ran sand or mud by sliding the rear back and kicking spinning and with the right light -- the fat tire must still rolled seated normal.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/30/10 at 08:47:47

Yea, not even close to MX dirt knobbies, but with the fat tires & the aggressive tread, that Im sure would just be great in sand, sure had me struggling to feel like I was really the one in control in a turn on asphalt. Not sayin it wasnt FUN,, it was just an eye opener when I started down the road. I could feel the resistance just rolling down the road. It let me know exactly how much I wiggle the bars.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/30/10 at 09:20:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/30/10 at 05:14:29:
For 2 wheel rides, a TW200 is light enough that I still do not have a problem, and the huge fat tires give enough stability in harsh braking situations.

I rode one a few days ago. Those knobby tires make turning an event. Id never felt the way they change things before.

Mine does not wear the knobby tires. It wears a set of bridgestones that are the same fat as original but look like road race tires. Better cornering, smoother ride and they do not HOWL.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/10 at 09:27:19

I spent a fair amount of time trying to design a quad frame with a hinged roll cage that would open clam shell fashion. With an airbag suspension you could lower it to street level, wheel in, and pull the roll cage down over you locking the wheels in place.
With paddle shifters or an automatic gearbox and a suitable power supply (GSXR 1000?) it could be lots of fun. Instead of dial-a-ride or an expensive van conversion the wheelchair bound would gain personal freedom. Make it street legal and insure it like a motorcycle.  

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/30/10 at 10:08:53

When I get to Hawaii, if I equip another machine shop, one of those will be a possible project.
I might as well build while I am still able.  I probably would not be happy with what someone else builds.
As for Mick, do you mean to say you could not even adapt to a sidecar rig?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 05/31/10 at 22:08:36

JohnBoy wrote on 05/30/10 at 09:27:19:
I spent a fair amount of time trying to design a quad frame with a hinged roll cage that would open clam shell fashion. With an airbag suspension you could lower it to street level, wheel in, and pull the roll cage down over you locking the wheels in place.
With paddle shifters or an automatic gearbox and a suitable power supply (GSXR 1000?) it could be lots of fun. Instead of dial-a-ride or an expensive van conversion the wheelchair bound would gain personal freedom. Make it street legal and insure it like a motorcycle.  

Sounds like a really cool idea.

On that video, my first thought was "training wheels!" Cheesy  but it actually looks like a very good idea.  Mom could use that shifter on her 4-wheeler.  Her ankle bothers her when she up-shifts, so she's just got a piece of baling wire on it and tied to the handlebars; she can give it a pull to upshift.  Not so good when chasing cows though, and you need to shift fast! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:45:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle technology for the physically handicapp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.