Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing the Air Box (Read 256 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Removing the Air Box
05/25/10 at 21:32:39

I just got my cone air filter.  I was looking to install that so I was looking at removing the Air Box to make room for the cone filter, instead of putting it directly on the carb.

I was looking at the Clymer service manual and I had couple of question on removing the Air Box.

1.  Can the Air Box be removed without taking out the Battery Box?
2.  If so, where is the mounting screw for the Battery Box?  Inside the Box?
3.  Does the Carb have to be removed?
4.  Anything else need to come off before the Battery Box can be removed?

Thanks in advance.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing the Air Box
Reply #1 - 05/26/10 at 04:34:38

Battery box is a piece of cake. There are 4 bolts in the bottom of it (inside). Pull out the battery, remove the bolts and it slides right out.

Never removed the airbox but I imagine that it would be easier w/ the battery box out of the way.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/26/10 at 05:22:30

Its pretty near impossible without removing the battery box and even then it was always a PITA for me. Theres two bolts on either side of the airbox near the top and on tucked hidden by the bottom on the left of the airbox (left assuming you're sitting on the bike). Then wiggle, tug, and pull forward while grumbling.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 05/26/10 at 05:39:27

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/10 at 05:22:30:
Its pretty near impossible without removing the battery box and even then it was always a PITA for me. Theres two bolts on either side of the airbox near the top and on tucked hidden by the bottom on the left of the airbox (left assuming you're sitting on the bike). Then wiggle, tug, and pull forward while grumbling.

Second on the PITA. I removed my battery box, but not the carb when i removed my air box. would have been easier with out the carb in there. that air box is BIG. You'll most likely have to rejet anyways, so you might as well pull the carb.

Don't forgot about the CDi that mounts to the left side of the air box. you'll have to put that elsewhere. I lost my chrome tool cover a long time ago, so i zip tied/taped the CDi there, fits real nice.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 05/26/10 at 19:44:48

Thanks everyone.  I have really tried to avoid taking the carb off the bike because of all the hoses (what a mess) and direction on clymers not being so clear (well at least to me).

But it looks like I will be taking the carb and tank off.  I might as well clean it.   Smiley  I tried.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 05/26/10 at 23:37:09

it will be worth it  Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 06/05/10 at 22:38:07

One more thing... what do I do with the breather hose attached to the Airbox?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/05/10 at 22:51:15

put a little cone filter on the end of the hose and place it along the frame, preferably above the breather port. I got mine from Pepboys. I had to cut a section of a ball point pen tube to insert into the hose and the filter and put a clamp on both. If I had a camera and knew how to use it Id post a pic, but if you go into pepboys or advanced auto you ought to find a little cone filter and be able to figure it out. I paid $6.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #8 - 06/05/10 at 22:55:25

small (air) cone filter?

Like this one?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-5162

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/05/10 at 22:57:08

yup

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #10 - 06/05/10 at 22:59:49

Cool thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:57:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the Air Box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.