Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tail light only does brake light!! (Read 148 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
tail light only does brake light!!
05/24/10 at 20:15:31

we got rid of that huge and ugly license plate bracket and running light thing, made my own bracket and bought license plate bolts with lights in them, we spliced the old wires to the bolt lights no problem

did this about 4 days ago, not sure if my tail light has been out the whole time, probably. but it doesn't act as a "running" light, only a brake light.

is there something that makes it stay on constant, like a relay or did i do somethig wrong.

in theory we matched up the wires from the old running lights to the new, why would it mess with the tail light?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: tail light only does brake light!!
Reply #1 - 05/24/10 at 21:24:14

Armed w/ a 12v test lite, check if there is juice there, if not, it has to be a connection or the bulb.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On edit,
....if there is, it has to be a connection or the bulb

« Last Edit: 05/25/10 at 05:29:58 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 05/24/10 at 21:27:21

i don't have a 12v checker thing lol

and by connection u mean the things the wires connect into?

would it still be the bulb if it works when u press the brake?

so i'll get a new bulb first and see how that goes, if not it doesn't fix it i'll try reconnecting all of the connections..i guess lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/24/10 at 22:01:56

the bulb has 2 figments

a bright one for stoppin'
a dim one for go, go, go

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 05/25/10 at 05:30:59

Routy wrote on 05/24/10 at 21:24:14:
Armed w/ a 12v test lite, check if there is juice there, if not, it has to be a connection or the bulb.
On edit, correction made
....if there is, it has to be a connection or the bulb

And yes, if you don't have a $1.98 12v test light, I'd start w/ the bulb.

Note:
Everyone really should have a 12v test light, only because it will do so many things, like probe into a wire or cable to check for the presence of 12v electricity, and will also check light bulbs and fuses,.......if used in series w/ the battery. An inexpensive little multimeter will do it all too, but is more difficult to use.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #5 - 05/25/10 at 06:27:44

[quote author=7E716B706C6A797B737D6A180 link=1274757331/0#4 date=1274790659]Routy wrote on 05/24/10 at 21:24:14:
An inexpensive little multimeter will do it all too, but is more difficult to use.

But the multimeter will tell you exactly what you are looking for. a test light will illuminate. However testlights can be misleading... you will see the light illuminate with LOW or HI voltage, not just @ 12v. also, multimeters can tell you AMPS which in some cases is MUCH more important than the actual voltage, and Ohms which I use almost on a daily basis for broken wires and what not.

Multimeters take a little getting used to, but if you take the time to learn what ur doin.... you'll be FAR better off than using a test light.

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 05/25/10 at 07:26:09

i just realized i have a multimeter lol it's a cheap one, but i guess it doesn't matter lol

i'm gonna attempt to find it(just moved in with my woman & getting ready for school, hence not being on here as often)

so either way, new bulb 2day then i'll let u guys know, and i'm really glad it's a dual bulb, i was worried i'd have to cut out the connectors and just wrap and heat shrink...is that what u do when a connector is bad?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 05/25/10 at 10:32:57

it was the bulb, thank goodness! a trip to bennet and 3 bucks got me 2 long life bulbs, and this one seems to shine a little brighter then the old.....thanks guys, what would i do without you?  Grin

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/25/10 at 11:14:03

verslagen1 wrote on 05/24/10 at 22:01:56:
the bulb has 2 figments

a bright one for stoppin'
a dim one for go, go, go

Hahahahaha, Vers, I don't know why, but this made me laugh so hard.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 05/25/10 at 11:52:20

Glad you got her fixed Rocco.  And inexpensively!

Soooo.... you moved in with the woman, huh?  This must mean the engagement is still in tact?  Have ya'll set a wedding date?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 05/25/10 at 12:04:40

You never buy a cow if you can get the milk free. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 05/25/10 at 12:44:40

Pip,
Try probing into a wire w/  multimeter
Try grounding your multimeter w/o a ground clip, and w/o using 2 hands.
Try reading your multimeter under a dash or anywhere light is minimal.
My post was for those that don't know how to use a meter, much less  those that don't have anything at all. 12v test lights are,....and always will be a basic tool that is still used more for basic circuit testing,...connecting trailers, blown fuses, etc etc, than any other testing tool.

But then, if you are here just to be argumentive of other posts, then so be it !

[quote author=437A63597C7D7660130 link=1274757331/0#5 date=1274794064]Routy wrote on 05/25/10 at 05:30:59:
Routy wrote on 05/24/10 at 21:24:14:
An inexpensive little multimeter will do it all too, but is more difficult to use.

But the multimeter will tell you exactly what you are looking for. a test light will illuminate. However testlights can be misleading... you will see the light illuminate with LOW or HI voltage, not just @ 12v. also, multimeters can tell you AMPS which in some cases is MUCH more important than the actual voltage, and Ohms which I use almost on a daily basis for broken wires and what not.

Multimeters take a little getting used to, but if you take the time to learn what ur doin.... you'll be FAR better off than using a test light.

Rich
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 05/25/10 at 20:43:37

glad it's fixed too! i didn't want a ticket!

and we're doing great! goin to orlando for the weekend to celebrate our bdays, and i love waking up to her every morning!

no official date, dependin on school and a few other things will decide when for us, u know how that is!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 09:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tail light only does brake light!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.