Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Question (Read 163 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Carb Question
05/17/10 at 22:36:03

I am about to rejet.  Which I think means, removing gas from tank, removing tank, removing carb and replacing stuff with Lancers Kit.

So, before I start... couple of total noob question.

1.  Do I need to remove the Gas?  Can I just plug the hole (say with a Golf Tee) on the fuel line if tank is near empty?
2.  Should I expect a big mess?  Get tarp on my garage or something?

Thanks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carb Question
Reply #1 - 05/17/10 at 23:03:37

If you can remove the tank with the petcock on, yes. I never could. I always had to drain the tank, remove the petcock THEN remove the tank.

-Set your petcock to run.
-Remove gas line from the carb. You'll spill some gas but not much. You shouldnt have to plug it. If it keeps flowing fuel you have  an issue with the diaphram in your petcock and you'll drain the tank whether you want to or not, so have a gas can nearby just in case. Have the garage door up.
-Remove the vac line from the petcock. Plug the vac line tightly.
-Remove the throttle cable
-Remove the tank if you can. It requires a fair deal of wiggling from those that can do it.
-Start the bike and let it run a few minutes until it dies.
-Loosen the hose clamps on either end of the carb.
-Remove the top of the carb (Probabaly gunna need vice grips on those screws. I recommend an impact driver)
-Turn the carb counterclockwise(as viewed standing behind the bike) You might have to push down on the carb to clear the frame as you turn it. It may scrape the frame but it will squeeze by.
- Remove the bottom of the carb.
- You now have access to the slide/needle on the top and the main/pilot jets on the bottom.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/18/10 at 05:27:21

I only know that I was unable to remove my tank w/o first removing the petcock.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 05/18/10 at 05:41:49

I once removed my tank with the stock petcock on.  I guess I didn't know how hard it was supposed to be.  But I wiggled and twisted it until it came off.

I then replaced the stock with a raptor petcock and have no more probelms with getting the tank off.  Granted, I do not take it off much, but I just turn the gas off and take the tank off.

Burn Pugh gave the most complete answer.  But sometimes I guess it just depends.   Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/18/10 at 06:05:06

You push it to the left just a bit, lift an inch, return to center and lift the whole way. It's not hard, after some practice.

BS - it's a major PITA.

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/18/10 at 08:34:45

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/17/10 at 22:36:03:
I am about to rejet.  Which I think means, removing gas from tank, removing tank, removing carb and replacing stuff with Lancers Kit.

1.  Do I need to remove the Gas?  Can I just plug the hole (say with a Golf Tee) on the fuel line if tank is near empty?

Thanks.  

If you're careful you can do the whole job w/o spilling a drop. There is a drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl. Loosen it and drain the gas out into a container (a paint can lid will work just fine). The fuel will come out of the bottom of the carb, not at the screw (it's a needle, not a plug) so be sure to put the container under the carb. You can also pull off the fuel line and run her till she dies but there will probably still be a little gas in the bottom of the bowl.

Personally, I would remove the whole carb and give it a cleaning while you're at it. If you remove the battery box it's a piece of cake to get it off.

Also, be VERY careful when you remove the bowl. The gasket will most likely stick to one side or the other or a little of both. You don't want to tear it as it seems to take at least a week to get parts for bike carbs. My GSXR has been down for 3 weeks now from waiting on parts for the carb rebuild I'm doing  Shocked Angry

IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #6 - 05/18/10 at 09:08:32

If you do mess up the bowl gasket, most auto part stores carry small rolls of gaket material you can cut to fit. Takes a little time but it's worth it to get back on the road. There's no pressure so you have a little fudge factor if you are not artistically inclined. Make sure to ask for the type you can use with fuel. I've had mine running for 1 1/2 years with that material, used on all my mowers and anything I've had to clean carbs on.
Don't forget to change out all those PITA phillips head screws. Nothing sends a screwdriver flying further than stripping out one of those  Grin

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/18/10 at 09:18:04

To rejet, you only really have to drop the bowl.
Of course it sounds like you've never have done any of this.
so this is a good oportunity to learn.
take the tank off can be fun, I've taken to glueing the rubbers on the tank and the frame posts.  lube the frame rubbers too.  it'll make it easy to get back on.  if you can get the tank off w/o removing the petcock, great, then whatever gas is in it can stay, just be carefull about tipping it.  hint less gas is lighter.
carb pulling is fun too.  remove the top of the battery box for a little more room.  remove the battery box if you need more.  lube the rubber before you put it back in.
And the dam screws are locktited, try with a screwdriver once, then go to the big gun (vice grips) and getRdone.  I've replaced mine with allen socket head screws.

WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 05/18/10 at 13:22:47

I just pulled my gas tank on and off like 6 times to paint and put in an LED kit(which one of the LED strips got smashed up by the petcock so I have to redo it.).  But I learned that if you pull it back slightly then yank on the oposite side of the petcock which will bend the mount rubber alittle and then pull out at the angle up from the mount bolt area then once the petcock is clared from the frame bars pull down to clear the mount rubbers and then pull up and around.. if ya get what I mean..
here's what my LEds look like on one side..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/18/10 at 14:03:10

I can remove my tank with the stock petcock on. Takes a little wiggling but not bad. Sounds like you're in the same boat I was when I rejetted (i.e. never done it B4!).
Go ahead and tear it down. You'll be happy that you can see what's going on and if the screws start to strip you'll be glad you can get to stuff...then buy or borrow an impact wrench (Harbor Freight 6 bucks). Definately worth it even if you only do this once!

The carb seems like it's gonna be hard to twist out of there but it DOES come out. Replace one jet at a time to see what happens...you can always go back and change it.

Once you've replaced the crappy screws with allen heads (get some for the diaphram screws on top of the carb too for spacer modding) you can swap out jets while the carb is on the bike (need a mirror!)

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 05/18/10 at 14:24:28

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/17/10 at 22:36:03:

Thanks.  

Just drop the fuel bowl to replace the jets,Its a lot quicker than taking everything apart,Look up in there with a flashlight you will see the jets.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #11 - 05/18/10 at 18:22:02

Thanks!  I am glad I asked.  I just want the easiest way to rejet so I can ride.

So when I drop the bowl, will I make a mess?  Any precaution I need to take?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 05/18/10 at 21:38:41 by Tiefighterpilot »  

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #12 - 05/18/10 at 18:32:51

Just make sure the petcock is not on prime and unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the carb and drain into anything that is slightly larger than the bowl, put a small rag down for any small drips. If the fuel doesn't stop flowing after about 5-10 seconds put the plug back in... it means your petcock is free flowing, which means you have to drain the tank. Or just use your golf tee!! Just try not to ruin the end of the fuel line.

Good luck brother, it's really not that big of a mess, just take your time and enjoy the fact that you are doing it yourself. Everyone on here started out that way at some point. X-cept OLDFELLER, he was born on a lathe in a machine shop!!! Wink

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.