Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torque wrench question (Read 87 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Torque wrench question
05/15/10 at 19:58:15

I just got my torque wrench from HF.  I set my wrench to 20lbs and try to tighten the header pipe screw (it was removed).  First I finger tighten and try the wrench.  

I tighten and tighten but wrench does not engage (reach 20lbs).  I stop fearing that the wrench is busted.

How many turns can I expect to (full) turn before the 20lbs is reached?
or how tight should it be... it feels pretty tight.  I can hear the gasket (new) creak.

Thanks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Torque wrench question
Reply #1 - 05/15/10 at 20:06:30

A header pipe crush gasket will compress -- a lot.

That gasket will work OK if pulled up with moderate wrist torque using a standard rachet (no torque wrench, just feel).

Each time you  tighten it up it reseats slightly differently, collapsing a little bit each time.  Try to keep the flange going down straight and don't always start out tightening the same side of the pair of bolts.  

Think of it like a kid's see-saw with what you are doing with the bolts and the flange

Every time you check the bolts they will seem "loose", just snug them down again just a little bit each time.  (expansion contraction going on here every time the engine gets hot and cools down - this is normal)

All you are doing right now is using up all the "redos" all at once with the torque wrench set at maximum torque setting.

« Last Edit: 05/16/10 at 09:35:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 05/15/10 at 20:52:44

Thanks.  It is currently tighten with wrench.  About 1/4 turn more after being tight.  So should I loosen the bolt? Or will that hurt it if it is already tight since the gasket is crushed.  I have the old gasket I can prob use.

As to tightening it... you said use hand?  So like use a wrench adapter to get a grip on the bolt and screw using just hand (no wrench itself)?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/16/10 at 05:38:13

as to the torque wrench, it may not be broken - there's two types.

a. when in reaches set torque, it loudly clicks and "jumps" about 15degrees, letting you know you've reached it.
b. the very top of the wrench (where the socket goes) gives in and "swivels" few degrees. No click, nothing.

I got the second one, which seems to be the trend with chinese torques. The point is - it takes some focus to actually SEE, let alone FEEL the point of set torque.

Find a well rusted, tight nut somewhere, set the wrench to low torque and slowly try to tighten. Practice on it, you will catch the drift...

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 05/16/10 at 15:04:18

Thanks.  I will try that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:30:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque wrench question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.