Chain Drive (Read 108 times)
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Chain Drive
05/12/10 at 14:56:04

Just before I accidentally sold my Savage I was comtemplating converting to chain drive as the only answer to terminal belt chirp.  To that end I entered the Savage/S40 data on the very useful site gearingcommander.com.  It is under Suzuki/LS/650P 99-03.  For anyone with chain drive, or thinking about it, there is a host of useful data.  Actually there is a ton of good stuff there on the standard belt drive for the technically minded.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Chain Drive
Reply #1 - 05/12/10 at 15:06:30

You could gear that kawa 250 just one tooth higher and it would make it nicer for cruising.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Reply #2 - 05/12/10 at 18:51:12

Bill

Serowbot and I just swapped out both sprockets on the Ninja; added one to the front and took 4 off the back.  Way nicer, I'm less than 120# so it works for me, it wouldn't work for a big guy.  Got 68mpg on the first tank before the swap, goodness knows what I'll get now, but, as it seems to go for ever on its 4.8 gal tank, I proably won't know for a week or so.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/12/10 at 19:09:41

How many less rpm do you turn at 60mph,I know it sure makes it nice when you aren't turning so many rpms

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Reply #4 - 05/12/10 at 19:31:03

Bill

1,106 rpm less than stock in top gear (6th) at 60mph per gearingcommander.com

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/12/10 at 19:32:55

I had my Suzuki GR650 turning 1000 less than stock put 24000 that way and really liked it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 05/12/10 at 22:04:37

Thought I would jump in with my own set of queries. Here's how it is for me. I'm thinking of changing over to a chain for to get better gas mileage. From reading here I know there's other Suzi bike stuff that will swap in. I'm running a dark side tire on the back so it's wider than stock. Question is, what gears/parts do I need to look at to (I hope) just do a bolt in swap? I assume I'll have to change the back wheel as well. Just want to get over 60 mpg and still be able to climb hills with my slightly-less-than-svelt me on there. We all know that $3.00 a gallon is the new $.24.9 we used to pay in the mid 60's, but I still want a way to afford the L-O-N-G cross country trips I used to make in my 396 '65 Impala SS.

An extra thought. What happens with the cooling of the engine when it's doing the work at lower RPMs? Could that be a problem on the long trips I do with 300+ pounds of me and my gear on the two seats?

I know several of you have made the jump. I just want my cake and eat it too. With Ben & Jerry's on the side.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 15:25:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain Drive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.