Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #90 - 05/17/10 at 13:27:09

You just need some cool lookin mirrors, that don't stick up quite so far.  Could you trim and re-thread the support?  Or make new rods?  I don't know.  I think the shape of the mirror needs to be more "rockin'" too.... to match that rockin bike!  Aren't you glad you asked for opinions?  LOL  

These are expensive, but this is something like what's in my mind on that bike:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/760-873?N=0&Ntt=mirror&Ntk=All&Nao=200&result...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #91 - 05/17/10 at 14:03:33

Check two for "NAY"

Now that's what I'm talking about! Sometimes you gotta trust the ladies when it comes to the fine details! Thank you, I'm gonna look around and see what I can find on the cheap. You're right, those things better be made of solid gold for that price!! LoL

IP Logged
voodoo

Hang on to the
Vintage!

Austin, Texas
Reply #92 - 05/17/10 at 16:30:00

For only $10, clamp these babies on the turn-down of those sky-high ape hangers!!!!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/138/21639/DPITEM/Cruiser-Motorcycle...

Now Offering Custom CNC Plasma Service!
http://www.voodoovintage.com
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #93 - 05/17/10 at 16:42:25

babyhog wrote on 05/17/10 at 13:27:09:
You just need some cool lookin mirrors, that don't stick up quite so far.  Could you trim and re-thread the support?  Or make new rods?  I don't know.  I think the shape of the mirror needs to be more "rockin'" too.... to match that rockin bike!  Aren't you glad you asked for opinions?  LOL  

http://img0.jpcycles.com/product/760-873_A.jpg
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/760-873?N=0&Ntt=mirror&Ntk=All&Nao=200&result...

The price is just for one mirror to get 2 is close to $300

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #94 - 05/17/10 at 18:59:57

Those clamp-ons might do the trick. Only 1 review on 'em though and it was bad. I'm sure there are others...
There are flame mirrors all over ebay pretty cheap. I haven't fallen in love with any of them though.

I Got another "NAY" from a friend, but got a "YAY" from my brother. It's starting to grow on me some, so I dunno. I kinda go against the grain sometimes anyway...

I don't know about you, Bill, but it'll have to be a COOOOLD friggin day for me to put $300 mirrors on this bike!!! LoL

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #95 - 05/18/10 at 06:26:55

These are a little cheaper, but still $30 each.  
I don't like the round cheapo's...  
My point was more about the low-swept mount for your apes, I guess.  That bike deserves something "different"!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #96 - 05/18/10 at 07:23:29

Thank ya, baby... Those are a little more in my price range for sure! No matter what I decide on, I definitely want something different.

I kinda like the flame stems on the first set you posted. I'm keeping my mind & eyes open, one day I'll find "the ones".

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #97 - 05/19/10 at 14:50:58

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Cruiser-Chopper-Motorcycle-Chrome-Flame...

flame stems and only 26$ shipped.. from china though..(means you won't have them for 10-20 days after you order them.)

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #98 - 05/24/10 at 17:22:15

This is truly beautiful.  I was wondering... how long is your rear fender.  I want that look!

Thanks in advance

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #99 - 05/24/10 at 19:06:41

Lot's of fun rolling through your pics and prose Wink

Thanks for sharing this project.

Bob or not, got to respect the skill and talent it takes to get her done.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #100 - 05/24/10 at 21:45:18

Starlifter wrote on 05/11/10 at 19:22:14:
Not sure why people like to tear up their beautiful bikes. Rip off seats & fenders, make them look like junkers...no offence ment, but could someone shed some light on this practice???

I cant shed any light ,to me he went from the sublime to the rediculaus
those monky bars cannot be comfortable,must be for short rides.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #101 - 05/24/10 at 21:50:42

For me, its about personal preference and feeling of accomplishment.  I am very mechanically challenge but always wanted to work on cars or bikes.  Now I have a bike to play with... so I tear off the stuff I don't need or like and put stuff that is more to my taste.  For example:

1.  Stock muffler (not loud enough)
2.  Seat (I will never carry passenger so pillion is not needed.  Stock is uncomfortable for me)
3.  Re-locate rear lights (I needed to install big saddlebag, and I also broke one)
4.  Belt cover (why cover the beautiful belt)
5.  New light bulb (stock is too dim)
etc.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #102 - 05/24/10 at 22:48:52

mick wrote on 05/24/10 at 21:45:18:
Starlifter wrote on 05/11/10 at 19:22:14:
Not sure why people like to tear up their beautiful bikes. Rip off seats & fenders, make them look like junkers...no offence ment, but could someone shed some light on this practice???

I cant shed any light ,to me he went from the sublime to the rediculaus
those monky bars cannot be comfortable,must be for short rides.

Roll Eyes

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #103 - 05/24/10 at 22:54:40

Hey thanks y'all!!!

It's been real & it's been fun... But it didn't get real fun til I got 'er done!!
LoL, sorry... Feeling poetic tonight

The rear fender is 19.25" long. I didn't plan it that way, just went by looks til I thought it was right. The back edge of the fender is directly above the center of the axle. If I was gonna do it again (and I might) I'd probably add a couple inches to it. Maybe go like 21 or 21.5" total. I'm a fair weather rider, but I've noticed that I get a nice little spray on the small of my back if I hit a wet spot in the road. I expected it since it's so short, and it's not that bad, I just think a couple inches would make a noticeable difference. (story of my life!!) It also occasionally throws up sand and road debris which I sometimes feel hitting my back since the wind pulls my shirt up a little. It doesn't hurt at all, just kinda made me go WTF??? the first time it happened.

Sorry Tfp, you asked a simple question but got a friggin storybook answer!!

I guess now is a good time for a little update...

I've been riding the piss outta this thing the last couple weeks. Been trying to tune out a gear-shift backfire and occasional erratic idle. Seems to idle down once it gets good and hot like after a hard 10- 15 mile run, then sitting at a light. It's been 85*- 90* and sticky- icky focking humid so maybe that factors in. I'm gonna look at the plug, change the oil and check the valve adjustment one night this week. It's just hard to let it sit long enough since you gotta check the valves with a stone cold engine.

It really shines when you crank it back and let it sing! I can roll out of a 25mph curve in high gear without a downshift. At partial throttle pull, it wants to jump a little but is easily fixed by opening it up. I'm very impressed with the bottom end lugging, even though I went with a huge rear tire. I opened up the head pretty good mainly on the exhaust side so I think that's what makes her really come alive. Not sorry about that! Now I wonder what one of Lancer's super carbs would feel like... (Dear Santa..)

This is really a fun little bike & surprisingly comfortable too. It's super nimble and with my center mass a little lower it takes curves like it's on rails... I'm talking almost sportbike like handling. The solo seat is one of the best feeling seats my a$$ has had the pleasure of meeting. I'm tickled with the way it rides. The bars are shoulder height and really comfortable. Any higher would be too much for the longer rides. The low seat, high bars & forward controls really let you stretch out and feels like a larger bike. The balance is right on.

I added a throttle rocker since the last pics. Not sure if I'll keep it or not... I've used them before, but the savage seems to have such a long throttle twist. I dunno, time will tell... Might pitch it in the ditch tomorrow, who knows?

Speedo seems to be about ~3 mph slow at 55, ~5 mph slow at 70. This isn't verified yet, just judging by flow of traffic. I'll put my gps in my pocket one day and check it... Maybe...

I guess all in all my few complaints are not that big a deal. I'm happy with it and look forward to punishing it daily.

Oh, and don't worry about Mick... He's a grumpy 'ol bloke stuck in his ways. I have become a magnet for criticism around here but I'm cool with it.
Not everyone can understand what it's all about, but WE do. It's not like cutting up an antique, collectible, high dollar bike... It's a bottom end, overlooked, cheap bike. It's a good bike, but not one that hurts my feelings to be hacked. I bought the savage to chop up. I actively looked for one for 2 years off and on. I knew this was the perfect bike to "fix". It's my bike, it's my money, it's my a$$ rocking out on a lowball custom... Just the way I pictured it. (subject to change on a whim!!)

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #104 - 09/21/10 at 19:41:26

This is an awesome build... Just found the thread. Thanks for the pictures on your rear fender build. I've got my trailer fender cut, but want to mount it on the swingarm like you did.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:30:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.