Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #75 - 05/13/10 at 16:38:08

Great work, I really enjoyed following this thread!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #76 - 05/13/10 at 20:59:56

Really nice. Thanks for posting your pictorial. It sure seems like easy work when someone else is doing it. Cool

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 05/13/10 at 21:33:12

awesome job and great post!!!!!  one of these days I'll get me a garage  .  . .

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #78 - 05/13/10 at 22:53:04

Hey thanks yall!

LoL... savagedml, you ain't joking brother!! Sure looks a lot easier when you're reading it! There's no way to include everything that's gotta be done... Like hitting every single bolt head with the wire wheel to clean them up before you put them back in, or the hours of staring at something trying to figure out a good way to do it... Like those dang front signals! I don't know how much time I spent off and on trying to figure out something to do with them. Still not completely happy w/ them but I can sure live w/ it. Then there's all the measuring, & test fitting, & more measuring, & figuring, etc, etc, etc... Takes a while to do even the simplest things.

BurnPgh, I hear you man! I thought about the bar end signals. Even watched a few on ebay. They also make some integrated into the mirrors. I happened to stop at a truckstop one day while I was out working & found my minis. You'd be surprised how bright they are. I don't think the rears are gonna be any problem. You can see them for sure. The fronts now, well... I hate to beat a dead horse, although I don't think they're as bad as you imagine. I'd like to get some video of it. I have the ability to do so, just gotta get everything together & do it sometime. I try to ride like my life depends on it, mainly because it does! With or without signals, the cell phone yappin soccer mom still ain't gonna see you. Just gotta be defensive & stay alert.

LostArtist...
My garage... The shop (that's what we call it)... My man-cave... My oasis!!! I built that thing 4 years ago & tried to make it just like I wanted. I wish I had insulated it, you can feel the heat coming off the roof like a radiant heater sometimes when it's hot outside & the sun is beating down. Also can get cold out there in the winter but I can knock the worst of the chill off if I crank up the wood stove & keep it roaring. I love my shop man, you can have the house, just let me in to take a shower once a week and I'd be happy!! LoL

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #79 - 05/14/10 at 08:58:45

Another slow day at work so here's some pics from last night. I think I finally got everything finished. I REALLY wanted to ride to work today, but we're supposed to have severe storms. Just my luck!

Still not sure about those mirrors. They are smaller than stock, but still look pretty big perched up there like that. I guess the up side is being able to see everything!!

Ed L. forward controls...

Kickstand moved back to factory location. I like! I was able to use the side stand indicator light too...

Side covers cleaned up well...

Yeah, they're little... That was kinda the idea...

Showing some reflection on the paint...

She's got the gangsta lean...

Now it's time to get that shop cleaned up!!!

IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #80 - 05/14/10 at 10:07:41

makes me want to put a rear fender on mine.  The one I got at tractor supply, the only one for a reasonable price, has one round side, and one flat side.  Givin my metal working skills"none" and my equipment "limited" I decided to leave it off.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #81 - 05/14/10 at 10:57:46

Hey man, you might try something like this. To the door for $16!
Maybe not this one exactly since I'd wanna check the length on it to be sure, but it's 7" wide (perfect) and has a nice profile to it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shipshape-Steel-Trailer-Fender-16-1-4in-Long-N...

IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #82 - 05/14/10 at 13:12:53

I checked it out.  But its the same one I have at a 3rd of the cost.  I'm thinking about handing it to the welding class to put some craftsmanship on it.  Maybe a little pounding and an English wheel could do some good.  lol

mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #83 - 05/14/10 at 13:28:51

I figured I would post  a pre production pic on here.  The frame and engine will star the same color, but the tins are different.  Here we go

earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #84 - 05/16/10 at 10:44:12

Another crappy, rainy day here in the mid-south so no riding today. I did make it down to get my black leather battery strap made yesterday. It matches the seat nicely and cinches down good and tight. The leather lady made it from scrap & only charged me $10!  

View from the front...

My next project is to find something to use as a single swingarm bag. My last scoot got a cool black canvas military type bag I picked up at a surplus store. It was durable, weatherproof & would hold a lot. It worked great and I may go that route again although this time I'm thinking more black leather...

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #85 - 05/16/10 at 12:57:26

thelower seat does look better  Wink

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #86 - 05/17/10 at 12:40:37

Well it rained all friggin day yesterday so I got the oil changed in my truck then started playing around with the savage a little.
I had some leftover roll bar tubing (1" x .083 wall) so I bent up some drag bars just to see what it would look like. I didn't look at any bars to get a feel for what looks good, just started measuring and bending. This is what I came up with, they are 33" wide. I think the controls would clear if I used them, but not sure. Just playing around anyway...

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #87 - 05/17/10 at 12:53:35

I also did some playing around with the mirrors. I always thought my mirrors looked big perched up on those apes, so this was the obvious next step. I think I might rock it like this for a few days and see how I like it, but I do wish it was on the other side. It stopped raining for a little while, long enough to roll out & take a few pics...

I'd like some honest opinions on it. I already know it's not as safe & I'll only see half the fun... (may have to name this bike "barely legal")
Just opinions on how it looks... Thanks!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 05/17/10 at 13:05:24

eh...not great. doesnt looks too bad, doesnt look too good, but it does allow less visibility of what's behind you and I add that as a con. No obvious pros I can see. I didnt think it looked bad with the mirrors upright.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #89 - 05/17/10 at 13:12:37

Thanks... One check for "NAY"

I'm kinda torn on it. I actually have good visibility with it, but then again, it's still only half the visibility...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 13:05:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.