Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #60 - 05/13/10 at 08:15:41

OK... Another slow day at the office so I'll post a few pics of the work in progress. I apologize for the quality. I use my phone, which is a Motorola Hint QA30. Pretty good phone & decent camera. My ex wife took our good camera. Small price to pay to get rid of her!! LoL

Started with a lovely "celery green metallic", vintage 1986 Suzuki Savage. She had 17,400 miles on the clicker. I started looking for a good deal on a savage about 2 years ago. I've wanted to build a bobber (or pseudo-bobber) for the last few years and after some research I knew the savage was a perfect candidate.

I must admit, I'm not particularly a Suzuki fan. Several years ago I owned an 82 GS650e that would do 125mph. Good bike, but yeah, not smart!! In my defense, I was in my early 20's & invincible!! I also had a gsx550es for a period as well. For metrics, I lean more toward Yamaha. Been riding Yamaha quads for years. Don't hate me, I'm basically an fan of air cooled bikes (& cars) and besides HD, Yamaha has some nice air cooled bikes. That's one thing I love about the savage... Air Kooled & Old Skooled!!

I guess that brings me to my love for the old VW's. You might notice hiding in the shop is my old woods buggy. I've got more money & time tied up in that thing than I care to mention. 2054cc w/ 110 cam & 1.25 rockers, dual weber idf 40s w/ big vents, Big valve heads w/ p&p, 5 rib trans w/ superdiff, 2x3 arms, chevy disk brakes, cutter brakes... Blah, blah, blah... I know, get back to bike talking already!!! Ok, Ok.. Pretty mean machine though and climbs hills like a goat.

So here we go...

I had to beat that old muffler off with a BFH!!! (get yo mind outta the gutter!)

I have no idea what Mason was doing in the floor... Working I guess

Look how nasty that frame is. 24 years worth of crud

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #61 - 05/13/10 at 08:36:34

Alright... Got the frame de-greased and cleaned up. I picked up my fender at Tractor Supply. I like the fact that it has a somewhat rounded profile & deeper sides than the standard flat fender. After some measuring, I think I cut 3" off the bottom end & 4" off the top end.

Here it is doing a test fit and some 'cipherin...

Rounded off the back corners and cut a relief for the belt to pass

Here it is after I cleaned up the cuts, sanded the crap out of it, gave it an acid wash (it's galvanized, so u better acid wash it if you ever want paint to stick to it!!) and then got it in primer...

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #62 - 05/13/10 at 09:10:23

Now it's time to get that nasty azz frame looking all purdy like...
I've got this old swing set A-frame that comes in really handy for hanging stuff on. Kinda reminds me of hanging up a deer to bleed out and butcher. Looks like I've been Savage hunting!!! LoL

Here she is all painted up...

Front end cleaned up a little, bearings checked & greased... Going back together...

Yeah, the front wheel is spinning...

Built the fender strut & test fitting it...

New muffler arrived, checkin it out. Also stuck a pipe into the risers to see what it would look like. Makes it easier to move around too...

Uh oh... The apes finally got here... They look odd without the tank on to fill out the bike...

Got the header wrapped... Dag-gone that seat is ugly. Gotta do something about that too...

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #63 - 05/13/10 at 09:33:54

The switches got disassembled, cleaned up, painted, cleaned all the contacts & a dose of di-electric grease... This kinda shows a before and after...

Here they are on the bars...

Next I finally tore into the engine. Yep, the cam chain was stretched pretty good. Time to order more parts...

Adjuster was 22mm out...

OK, cam chain and guides ordered. Now lets build a side mount tag & tail light holder. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the process. It's 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. I laid it out, cut it, bent it, drilled it & slicked it up. That alone was about a 4 hour job but much more satisfying when you build it on your own instead of clicking "but it now" on ebay for $30!!! I had already ordered the model 'A' tail light, so it was waiting for a home...

Hey the tail light works!!!

So does the Brake light... SWEET!!!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #64 - 05/13/10 at 09:42:09

Keep 'em comin' EarlyTimz, these are quite enjoyable.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #65 - 05/13/10 at 09:45:38

Thanks Bro! I gotta go get a bite for lunch, they're killin me at work today!! LoL... Be back in a bit...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #66 - 05/13/10 at 10:06:06

I must say this thread has been very enjoyable to read/see.  I'm not much into bobbers, but it amazes me that you guys can tear something apart so completely, and put it all back together.  I would never trust anything I took apart to that extent!  But I guess that's one of the simple beauties of this bike.

And your wit is enjoyable too, I dig the Model-A light, and Mason is adorable!!    Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #67 - 05/13/10 at 10:31:21

Loving the progress pics!  

Now I can't decide if I should take mine all the way down to the frame or just get it running.

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #68 - 05/13/10 at 11:15:30

sure wish i had all the know how to this! Great job in this project man, keep em coming!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #69 - 05/13/10 at 11:19:11

OK... Cajun chicken salad day down at Toot's. That's my usual thursday lunch spot. Belly full, now let's get back to business!!!

Thank ya, baby!!
Mason is my pride and joy! I can't wait til he's old enough for us to be building him a junked-up, no resale value, POS deathtrap!! LoL, sorry, couldn't resist...

Scott, I'd say get it running first. One less thing to worry about that way. I knew mine was running good and thanks to this forum, I knew it was probably due for a cam chain. Easy enough to do and I don't even own a Clymer's manual! All the info you need is readily available right here on Suzukisavage.com!!! (nice plug, huh?) An occasional glance at ronayers.com micro fiche pics doesn't hurt either. Lots of kewl folks on here too to help you out if/ when you need it.

I gotta say, I really appreciate the positive responses from yall. I started posting this build on another forum as well, but I didn't get the love like I got here. That means a lot to me & I really do appreciate it. I have since abandoned that "other" forum... I'm gonna concentrate my efforts here where the folks (well, most of 'em) appreciate it. So thanks!!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #70 - 05/13/10 at 12:07:44

Still waiting on the cam chain to get here so now it's time to get rid of that eyesore fugly green paint the PO was so proud of. He didn't tell me he had fixed a couple dents on the top of the tank... Well, he didn't have to tell me, I could see 'em plain as day! No worries though... It's nothing a lot of sanding, paint stripper, wire wheels & a little bondo won't cure. I had an "oh shyt" moment while working on the tank. Went to hang it on my A frame and the other end of the wire wasn't hooked very well...  Dropped the dag-gone thing on it's end right into the gravel... CRAP!!! Oh well, one more dent to fix... LoL

Here's a shot of "MY" dent...

She shines up nicely...

Here's my makeshift paint booth. A roll of 4mil plastic, some duct tape, my old swing set (did I mention how handy that thing is to have around??) and some good 'ol KY ingenuity is all it takes.

Getting everything primered up after the dent repairs.
I took some scrap wood and made a tank & fender stand...

Now those apes are starting to tie in a little better... I'm diggin how this thing is turning out...

Threw the pipe back in the pic to see what it looked like...

I originally planned for it to be flat blue. Kinda like the Harley flat denim color. So I shot it with some Hot Rod Flatz "midnight blue" paint. After staring at it for a few days, I just wasn't feeling the love for it. You might say it was giving me the "blues"... LoL. The pics of it in gray primer inspired me to go with a lighter color. Then after a lot of thought and a few sleepless nights, I decided on the white.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #71 - 05/13/10 at 12:56:14

Cam chain was waiting on me when I got home this day. Time for some engine work! I wasn't aiming to take the head off, but that's what happens when one of the bolts breaks off in it... DANGIT!!! Oh well, let's dig out the drill bits and easy outs... Broke one of them off too!! CRAP!!! I gotta say, I had a heck of a time getting that thing out!! Didn't get any pics of it, I wasn't in a very good mood and honestly didn't think about it. Plus it's not very handy to dig your phone outta your pocket when working on your engine. I had oil & grease up to my elbows like I had just got done eating a bucket of KFC!! LoL

Having the head off gave me a good reason to "massage" the intake & exhaust ports... Especially that exhaust port. I took off the oh so restrictive "ledge" and opened it up to match the diameter of the pipe. Nothing real aggressive, but she should breath a lot better now! The intake side basically just got the stud removed and a little cleaning at the seams. Again, no pics but there are some good ones in the forums if anyone is interested in doing this. A good bur bit on your favorite cordless drill and a lot of patience is all it takes. Be careful, precise, and take your time!!!

Here's a few random shots of the engine with the head off... Look how nasty those case covers are!! I started to polish them out, but dang that's a lot of work!!! I ended up painting them with high temp paint and just polished out the oil filter cover & pulley cover. Turned out pretty decent in the end, I think...

Everything looked good. The piston was a little dirty from running a little rich, but the cylinder walls looked good and there was a minimal ring ridge. That's a good sign that it was getting properly lubed, especially with 17k+ miles... I was happy about this!

Pretty clean inside...

Got the new cam chain in & head bolt replaced. My local dealer actually had a new head gasket & exhaust gasket in stock... Sweet! Time to button this jewel back up! I put a slight bend on the tension guide (as suggested in another post... Thanks!) but didn't do the adjuster mod. Believe me, I wanted to. The thing is, at this point I'm running low on fundage and knowing me I'll be wanting one of those stage 1 or maybe stage 2 cams in the next year or so anyway. (You know, maybe a winter project/ X-mas present!!) I'll do it then... Until that time, I know I've got a good 15-20k miles before I need to worry about the cam chain adjuster again.

7.5mm of adjuster showing... I think I'm in good shape for a while...

Uh oh... You know what time it is now!!!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #72 - 05/13/10 at 13:55:47

Hey, just to let you know... I have been working a little today. It's not all fun and games! Just tested a couple circuits, but it really is pretty slow around here today...

Here's a couple shots I thought I'd share. You might have heard about all the flooding we got a couple weeks ago. This is what it kinda looked like one day when I had to run downtown to the courthouse on my lunch break...

My seat showed up!! Had it shipped to the office...

Fast forward a little bit... I didn't get a lot of pics of the reassembly. Sorry 'bout that, I guess I was so excited to get this thing together that I just didn't stop to take pics. You can see here that I built a battery tray out of the old battery box cover. I had to cut it down, then added an aluminum strap on the other side to box it in. I plan to get a short black leather belt made up down at the flea-market to go over & secure the battery. (yeah, I like the flea-market!! Might get me a funnel cake & a sack of boiled peanuts too!!) Haven't got it yet so it's being held in with a velcro strap right now. It ain't going anywhere, but I think the leather belt with a cool buckle will look pretty sick.

You can also kinda see how I boxed in the rear of the frame to hide all the electronical goodies. That's changed a little since I hacked off the rear of the frame some but it's still kinda there... Mostly.

Got the cables & wiring harness all ran and secured. Ended up moving the throttle cable later on... Was not cool when you turn the bars and it revs like you're sitting at a stoplight fixin to smoke a sportster!!! LoL
Luckily the wiring harness was in good shape and un-molested. I'm using everything but the horn so that worked out good!

A peek at one of my mini signals mounted in the old seat mount. How sick is that?? Perfect fit!

Fast forward again. Sorry the pics are getting scarce at this point... Time to mount those new tires! I was gonna take them into town & get it done, but hell, we used to change 'em on dirtbikes when I was a kid. Can't be too hard! Don't pinch the tube & do a lot of reading on how to balance them out... No Problems!! It actually went really smooth. Line up the paint dot on the tire (lightest spot) with the heaviest spot on your wheel. (you read up on balancing... right??) Balance again and use one of the spoke weights you took off, if you need to. I needed one on the front, none on the rear. Awesome! Another project I did myself and saved some green!! Couldn't be happier!!

I guess you'll notice it's painted too. Trust me when I say painting is NOT MY THING!!! I can weld, wrench, swing a hammer, cut, drill, poke, punch and bend, but the mysteries of the perfect paint job is beyond me. I understand what it takes, it's just... I dunno... I guess me and the paint gun don't get along very well. I decided to take a chance and picked up some "industrial" Rust-oleum from Lowes. I knew that if it didn't work out, I would have to take it to be professionally sprayed. The secret is in the preparation and the finishing... OK, got it... I cleaned & sanded, shot the primer, wet sanded & got it looking pretty good. Primer is easy. After a couple days I set everything up in my paint booth again and started shooting the white. 2 thin coats and 2 good wet coats. It set up for a couple more days and was wet sanded with 1000, then 1500, then I rubbed it out by hand with 3M rubbing compound. I gotta say I was really surprised how good it turned out! Now I know it may never hold up, but I'm cool with that. Once again saved me a bunch of cash and it's good enough that it doesn't embarrass me... Whew!!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #73 - 05/13/10 at 14:22:13

So that pretty much gets us up to date...

I'll be finishing up the forward controls tonight... I hope.

I also need to pull the front brake caliper and figure out why it's dragging. Not sticking, but seems to drag more than I like. I flushed the old fluid out of the system & bled it, so my next step is to clean up the caliper & see what happens. Shouldn't be too bad of a chore.

Still gotta replace that broken turn signal & do a really good check to make sure all the bolts & everything are tight. I noticed my oil drain plug is leaking too, so probably needs a new washer.

It's been a fun journey so far and I'm really proud of how it's turned out. I guess that's why it's kinda hard to take the negative comments. That's cool though, put as much work into your bike as I have mine and we'll see who's laughing in the end!!! You can never understand how much goes into something like this until you actually do it yourself. I've enjoyed it thoroughly!!

Here you can see my front signals. Yes they are small and too close together but I really didn't have a lot of options without making some kinda big gawdy bracket. I was gonna just run without them & use hand signals but after a while that seemed less and less like a good idea. I made a little bracket that mounts under the headlight housing. The signals point out at an angle to kinda match the way the rears are. Is it perfect? Nope! Does it work? Hells yeah! I can live with it...

You can see the rear signals here...

Thanks! I'll post some more pics in the next few days after it's completely done...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 05/13/10 at 15:39:17

I think bar end or bar mount signals would look good and be a lot more visible. I cant imagine Id notice those little signal lights up under the seat or right under the headlight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.