Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #30 - 05/12/10 at 03:18:58

That is a FINE lookin' Bobber dude! Well done!

As far as the re-sale comment from a previous post ... well, it's not like a used LS650 has much re-sale value anyway ... if a Bob-job is your fancy, then have at 'er!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #31 - 05/12/10 at 05:49:29

Im also curious about fitting the 150-90 tire on there.  I just ordered one and it got here and it doesnt look like it will clear the front support on the swingarm where the fender ends on the underside of the bike.  Did you have any issues with this?

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #32 - 05/12/10 at 05:59:15

Hey Nerf,
The 150-90 will fit, but yes it's pretty tight on the right side. I've got maybe 3/8" clearance between the tire and the swingarm where you're talking about. I still need to tighten my belt just a tad, so that'll give a little more room. Keep in mind that not all tires will measure the same though. I just put on a set of Kenda Kruz, so yours may be different. I kinda thought mine were big for their stated size. I did the calculations before I ordered and wasn't expecting it to be so tight... But it works!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #33 - 05/12/10 at 06:04:50

Had some people ask about the rear fender & seat mounts. Here's a couple quick pics. You can also kinda see how tight the tire tucks in there.

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #34 - 05/12/10 at 06:10:25

Cool! I ordered a Dunlop Rear D404 150/90H-15 white wall tire so I am hoping it will fit.  It didnt look like it would by eyeballing it but I will have to mount it to be sure.  3/8 of an inch clearance is all you need.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #35 - 05/12/10 at 06:21:16

Seems like when you post pics of a build on here you're asking for comments and you oughta be a little less touchy about folks who don't share your vision.  Nice job on the build.  I like the fender a lot.  I'm taking some time getting used to the white but it's growing on me.  I think some graphics of some kind would add a lot.  I don't like the ape hangers but that's just a personal preference, maybe I would come around if they're as comfortable as you say.  But all in all I would say very cool bike and you have reason to be proud of it.

Good advice on having a vision.  I chopped my fender in Photoshop a few times before actually getting after it with a cutting wheel.  When I was researching bags I pasted the catalog photos onto my pics and that really helped me decide.  It's also really useful for helping to imagine a color change or graphics.

And lastly, since we're dealing with individuality and artistic choice I will admit that I kinda liked that green.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #36 - 05/12/10 at 06:47:21

Thanks again everyone, for the kind words!

Well, I mentioned last night I was cutting the rear frame horns off a bit so the seat would sit down on the frame a little better. I'm using the factory seat mounts to hold my turn signals, so I was able to keep them intact which I'm happy about. Those little signals are pretty friggin cool, by the way. I need to get some good pics of them. I picked them up at a truck stop, they're actually lighted license plate fasteners. Truck stops have all kinds of little chrome and stainless do-dads... This isn't them EXACTLY, but really close:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Amber-Illuminated-Bullet-shaped-License-Plate-...

Hackin away...

No, that's not my fender. It's a plate I made to keep everything tucked up under the seat and all pretty like. Had to modify it too...

I measured but didn't take a pic of the before... Keep in mind the bike is up on blocks, so it'll drop down some more. It dropped the rear of the seat down about an inch which made a big improvement to the gap under it that kinda bothered me. Sits nice too...

Also worked on my forward controls. Can't really comment on them yet until I speak to Mr. Ed L. His craftsmanship is outstanding but I had some fitment issues. This is an 86 and they must be A LOT different than the newer models as far as the left peg & kickstand go... I dunno, took some figuring and enlarging the big hole for the peg/ shift rod to go thru & the kickstand spring hook didn't line up w/ the notch. (aluminum, although a soft metal, is a biotch to drill big holes in!) I got them straightened out & even re-relocated the kick stand to the factory position... Something I wanted to do anyways. So they are done and primed/ painted a satin black to match the frame. I'll get them on again for good tonight...

Trimmed 'em up a bit too...

« Last Edit: 05/12/10 at 08:59:30 by earlytimz »  
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #37 - 05/12/10 at 07:05:14

Jef.,
Hey Bro, I can take the heat man.. I promise. I welcome constructive criticism, but borderline insults are not my idea of constructive. No worries though, I ain't sweatin 'em. Some people got nothing better to do... It's part of life and especially easy for some to grow a huge set of inter-nuts and hide behind the computer. Not my thing, but I guess "to each his own" Ha Ha, seems to be a popular statement around here!!

Anyways... Thanks for the kind words. You should try a ride with a set of apes/ minis sometime. As long as they aren't higher than your shoulder, they are great! (otherwise your hands go to sleep)
I realize some of you look at that big white tank and see a blank canvas. I appreciate that but personally I like the simple, clean look of it. Plus it'll friggin blind your azz if you look at it in the sun!! LoL
You know, I was thinking... This Jef guy sounds like a pretty cool, level headed dude... Then you said you kinda liked that green...

LoL... Thanks !

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #38 - 05/12/10 at 08:00:50

earlytimz wrote on 05/12/10 at 07:05:14:
I realize some of you look at that big white tank and see a blank canvas. I appreciate that but personally I like the simple, clean look of it. Plus it'll friggin blind your azz if you look at it in the sun!! LoL

I hadn't ever really thought about that before, but about 2 weeks ago on a group ride one of the other riders came over and talked to me about my paint on my tank. I have gloss blue on the sides and flat black across the middle and he said that's really cool and it doesn't reflect the sun like a glossy paint job does. Apparently when he has his w/s and tank real clean he ends up getting blinded by the sun  Shocked
It was just one of those added benefits I guess  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #39 - 05/12/10 at 08:51:22

EJID,
Yeah, the white is especially bad about blinding you in direct sunlight. I don't think it's a problem when I'm riding, but standing around looking at it sure is hard on the pupils... LoL

I've seen your bike and I really dig the paint scheme you went with. I was originally gonna go with Hot Rod Flatz midnight blue, which I actually ordered a kit of. It turned out to be a lot darker than I envisioned... I was hoping for a more faded-denim look (blue-grayish) Spent several nights milling over this in my head... Couldn't decide on a color. I eventually got the tins sprayed in light gray primer and mocked them up on the bike. Wow, I really liked that light color & then it hit me... Almost went with flat white, which I may still do later on for the heck of it.

It's a good thing I'm not busy at work today. Plenty of time to mess around on the ol' interweb. Actually fixin to make a 50 mile run up to a couple cell sites to test some fibers. Easy day, just like I like 'em!! LoL.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 05/12/10 at 09:00:07

I was born in Bowling Green Ky. Many years ago.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #41 - 05/12/10 at 09:02:27

Beautiful bike. Congrats on a job well done!

FSO
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #42 - 05/12/10 at 09:07:24

Hey Bill, my brother... I knew you were gonna be alright after all!! Do you ever get back here to visit family or anything?? It's grown A LOT in the last 10 or so years.
I'm from a small town a couple hours east of BG, but been here for 10-11 years now. Not a bad place to be at all.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #43 - 05/12/10 at 09:08:48

Hey Joe,
Thanks!!
Not done yet... but getting closer by the day!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 05/12/10 at 09:16:54

earlytimz wrote on 05/12/10 at 09:07:24:
Hey Bill, my brother... I knew you were gonna be alright after all!! Do you ever get back here to visit family or anything?? It's grown A LOT in the last 10 or so years.
I'm from a small town a couple hours east of BG, but been here for 10-11 years now. Not a bad place to be at all.

No I never get back there anymore is Beech Bend still there.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 15:53:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.