Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #15 - 05/11/10 at 19:37:42

Earlytimz, nice looking bobber.

The idea behind a bobber is to take as much weight off the bike and it still be functional (someone correct me if I am wrong). I bobbed mine to make it lighter and also to make it look unique to other bikes around me. It's all in what a person likes in a bike. Some like to rake the front (chopper), others 'bob', while some like to add luggage for trips. To each his/her own. I have a Suzuki Burgman that I use for long rides/taking trips on so bobbing the S40 made sense to me.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #16 - 05/11/10 at 19:38:35

What did you do with your old handlebars? I need a set of stock ones...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 05/11/10 at 19:40:04

I never knew people did that to bikes,Around here they don't.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voodoo

Hang on to the
Vintage!

Austin, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/11/10 at 19:41:30

Starlifter wrote on 05/11/10 at 19:22:14:
Not sure why people like to tear up their beautiful bikes. Rip off seats & fenders, make them look like junkers...no offence ment, but could someone shed some light on this practice???

We're bored!  Wink

Now Offering Custom CNC Plasma Service!
http://www.voodoovintage.com
WWW   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #19 - 05/11/10 at 19:42:06

Wow... I'm sure feeling the love... Well, mostly (but that's cool too)... Thanks!

I went with the solid white paint because I like to be different and too many folks paint their bobbers flat black. Gloss white is the exact opposite, plus I've yet to see another one like it. I have always liked white or silver bikes... Light colors in general I guess. I think it's a real clean look. My advice to anyone doing a build is to get a picture in your mind of what your bike will look like when it's done. Work towards that image until you're happy. Sure, things will change. Sometimes you won't have any control over that but stay focused and don't go into it blindly.

I'll start from the top...

Scott,
I'll try to get some more pics posted up soon but I can promise it won't be tonight. My forward controls arrived today, so I'm working on them now. Plus I did the dirty and cut about 2.5 inches off the rear frame horns. Yeah boy, that's what I'm talking about! Now the seat is sitting down into the frame a little better, dropped it over an inch. You know what they say... Once you go HACK, you NEVER go back!! LoL
My fine looking young helper is Mason. He just turned 4 in March, and I know all about the attention loss thing. Well, also tool and parts loss as well. I gotta keep an eye on him or he'll rearrange my whole shop! Good thing I ain't paying him very much!!

thumperclone,
I got that muffler on ebay. It was supposed to be a Larosa but I think it says MAC on it. I dunno, I was looking for a turn-down muffler and found this one super cheap. It's an aftermarket for HD and YES, it is loud and actually sounds really good! I worried over that for weeks, not knowing what it would sound like. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then huh??

Edgar,
I'll post some more pics soon, I promise. The fender is mounted to a bracket I welded to the swingarm. I also added a single strut on the right side for a little added stability. The mounting bracket is just a piece of 1/8" flat stock about 4 inches long X 1.5" wide w/ 2 holes in it. Very simple really. The seat uses the usual bobber style hinge. I cut 2 pieces of aluminum angle   _l   l_   w/ holes at the bottom to mount to the rear tank mounts and holes at top for the seat hinge.

LostArtist,
Thanks! Not familiar with speed racer, but my son would like the "M" on there fo sho! (Mason)
Oh, and until you rock the apes, you don't know what comfort is!! I dunno if it's the bars making it look small, the lack of extra fender hanging off the rear, or a combination of both. Oh well, I don't mind it...

crash_tx,
Man I hope that's just a name and not a habit!
I absolutely have considered a chain conversion. In fact, I have read up on it quite a bit. If my pockets were deeper, I'd already be there bro. I love the thought of higher gearing for the freeway. Thump Thump Thump... That's gonna have to wait for now. As a compromise, I put a bigger tire out back 150-90 to get a little taller gearing & wanted to fill the width of the fender better. I've heard some folks talk about losing bottom end this way, but come on, really?? This thing is loaded with bottom end to spare. I can't see a problem here.

Charon,
Come on bro, a bad day at the office or what?? To each his own.. I'm glad we agree on that. Kinda works for opinions too huh? I've had several bikes over the years & I've been wanting to build a bobber for the last few. I finally get my chance to do what I've been dreaming about and you gotta hit me with that?
Honestly BUD, an 86 savage w/ fugly azz green paint, bad cam chain, dirty as hell, front tire dry rotted, mirrors so cloudy you can't even see out of 'em, rear signals missing, etc, etc, etc... And you wanna rag me about resale value??? I would give TWICE the money for it now!!!
Thanks for the... whatever, I dunno...Just go away... Thanks

mike...82,
Thanks man! I hope we get pics of your ride too!

EJID,
DITTO BRO!!! Enough said

Starlifter,
What is it tonight?? Ain't yall got a wife or a dog to beat on or something??? I'm all for helping a brother vent or get something off their chest but dag-gone! It must be jealousy

12Bravo,
Infantry Man!! Thank you Brother, for your service (I assume) and for the kinds words! Like you, I don't want my bike to look like everyone else's bike. Get over it folks

So anyways, here's a quick list of what was done:

New cam chain and guides
Ported the intake & exhaust ports
10" apes
Hand made rear fender
Hand made tag bracket
Model 'A' tail light
New tires f & r
Solo seat
Mirrors
Grips
Pegs
Muffler
Carb jets
Cone filter
Header wrap
Mini turn signals
Longer front spring spacer tubes
Complete tear down
Paint frame
Paint tins
Cleaned, Cleaned & Cleaned some more!!!

Gotta be missing stuff but oh well. I gotta get back out to the shop, them forward controls ain't putting themselves on!!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #20 - 05/11/10 at 19:50:52

Nerfherder,
Make me an offer bro and they will be yours! I'm less then 1.5 hrs from Ft. Campbell.
Special discount for soldiers too... Thanks

Bill,
You've never seen a custom bike??? In Wisconsin? Home of HD?? WOW, interesting...

OK, gotta get back to work

IP Logged
Nerfherder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Campbell, KY
Reply #21 - 05/11/10 at 19:52:58

Eh I dont know a fair price as I've never priced them out yet.  Nice to see another Savage rider within a couple hours drive.  I am working on bobbing out my savage as well, just need the stock bars to put a little bit larger tank on there.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #22 - 05/11/10 at 20:05:12

Yup I was a glorified grunt with a shovel (combat engineer). I went the el cheapo route when I bobbed mine. I found a front Savage seat and a real cheap Savage fender on Ebay. I went to chopping off the fender then repainted it with automotive undercoating. I bought some after-market DOT turn signals from Dennis Kirk (man are they bright).I decided to just chop a Savage fender since most people go with a trailer fender (I have to be different) Total cost is about $150 for everything.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1273503240

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #23 - 05/11/10 at 20:15:25

Thanks man, looking forward to the pics. I can't wrap my head around how someone can be sitting at home looking at the pics of your bobber, decide they don't like it, and MUST let everyone know they don't dig it. Every man has a vision of what they want their bike or car or even home to look like when they buy it. Be it a bobber, long traveling bike, a complete shiny stock bike, an off road truck lifted or a lime green house! Can't you just shrug your shoulders and say "to each his own"???? Jeez! your bike is awesome man!!!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/11/10 at 20:27:53

Edgar wrote on 05/11/10 at 20:15:25:
Thanks man, looking forward to the pics. I can't wrap my head around how someone can be sitting at home looking at the pics of your bobber, decide they don't like it, and MUST let everyone know they don't dig it. Every man has a vision of what they want their bike or car or even home to look like when they buy it. Be it a bobber, long traveling bike, a complete shiny stock bike, an off road truck lifted or a lime green house! Can't you just shrug your shoulders and say "to each his own"???? Jeez! your bike is awesome man!!!

Charon did just that..."I don't particularly like the green you started with, but quite frankly I think the bobber idea is a bad one. Essentially, you have made a "fashion stetement" and at the same time decreased the resale value of your motorcycle.  To each his own. "
I wouldnt get too upset about it.
I think it looks pretty BA myself. I eventually plan on bobbing mine but Ive spent way way too much time and money lately on other mods. I'll get to cosmetics later. New valves, Rebore, High Comp piston, cam, carb, and a new header (that Im just going to sit on for a while before I can get it modded to fit) have set me back as far as I care to be set back. Looks good.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/11/10 at 20:39:07

Hey good work scraping that puke green offa that bike.
so sorry the po was so upset with it he had to sell it.
wonder how many of his buddies draped over their bikes pukin' their guts out to convince him to get rid of it.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #26 - 05/11/10 at 23:26:18

so a 150 tire fits on these no problem??? Obviously not with a stock rear fender, but the width of the 150 is no problem?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/12/10 at 00:25:35

I bobbed mine for no practical reason. I bought it to chop stuff off. A hobby, if you will, keeps you busy, focused, presents a challenge that's not so easy to meet. Depending on the vision.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #28 - 05/12/10 at 00:34:18

"make it your own"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
macman3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central NC
Reply #29 - 05/12/10 at 02:02:09

Nice job ET.  Looking forward to some more pics.  Since I've seen so many of these projects I guess it might be time to suggest a new general category like "Bobbers Corner" or something.  A place where bobbing ideas can be talked about and seen.  Anyway just a thought.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 11:59:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.