Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Ahhh, now that's better! (Read 2594 times)
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Ahhh, now that's better!
05/11/10 at 12:00:23

4 Weeks ago:

Yesterday:

IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Re: Ahhh, now that's better!
Reply #1 - 05/11/10 at 13:08:57

VERY nice!  you are so much faster than me.  Mine is still in lots of pieces after a month.  The white paint makes it look soooo short.  funny.  great job man!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 05/11/10 at 13:13:50

Wow, that's alot of work for 4 weeks.  At the risk of offending someone else who might like the color, that green was awful!!  Blah!  I like the white much better.   Looks great, you should be proud.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #3 - 05/11/10 at 13:35:21

It's beautiful!!!! How'd you do the fender and seat???

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #4 - 05/11/10 at 13:51:48

Thanks yall

Yeah, it was really hard for me to look past that fugly-azz green color when I first went to look at the bike. I had a vision and I knew all along that the color didn't matter because I was gonna bob it out anyway. The PO had just painted the bike and he was so proud of it! LoL. I think he said it was "celery green metallic". Whatever dude... I had to choke down the little bit of puke in the back of my throat when I first saw it.

I cut the fender from a blank trailer fender from Tractor Supply. I welded a mount to the swingarm and you might see I opted to only use one strut (on the right side). Maybe I didn't even need the one, but it was easy to do and makes me feel a little better about the fender not getting down into the tire if it ever gets sat on or whatever. I went with a 150-90 tire and the clearance is pretty tight anyway.

The seat is an ultima 13" leather, hinged in the front and just sitting on the frame horns in the rear.

I've still got a few odds and ends to button up before I can give an honest ride report. I worked through a clutch fiasco last night (my bad) and had to re-route my throttle cable as well. I put less than 2 miles on it before I completely torn it down to the frame & began the transformation. It went pretty quickly, but I had some awesome help...

I've got a bunch of progress pics I may or may not post up later on. A few of the custom parts I built and just general pics of a messy shop with a pile of parts (somewhat resembling a bike) in the middle.

Still debating on cutting off the back few inches of the frame tonight so the seat will sit down low and dirty... Hmmm...

Stay tuned

« Last Edit: 05/14/10 at 13:39:29 by earlytimz »  
  IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #5 - 05/11/10 at 14:31:21

Progress pics would be great!  Especially the custom pieces.

I love having my little gut help me out in the garage.  He looses interest pretty quick though.  Is your's about 5?  Looks about the same size as mine.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/11/10 at 14:42:20

ditto on that puke green... ugg!!
nice bob job !!
what pipe is that turn out? loud?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #7 - 05/11/10 at 15:27:42

Yea you've gotta get some pics of how the seat and fender are mounted!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/11/10 at 15:42:07

nice Smiley  need to put a speed racer M on that front fender Smiley  not a fan of apes but I know some people need them to feel comfortable, make the bike look real small though

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 05/11/10 at 15:43:50

Very nice job, and I agree, that puke green was nauseating.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
voodoo

Hang on to the
Vintage!

Austin, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/11/10 at 18:03:11

Have you considered a chain conversion?

Now Offering Custom CNC Plasma Service!
http://www.voodoovintage.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 05/11/10 at 18:10:18

I don't particularly like the green you started with, but quite frankly I think the bobber idea is a bad one. Essentially, you have made a "fashion stetement" and at the same time decreased the resale value of your motorcycle.  To each his own.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #12 - 05/11/10 at 18:33:41

That is sweet, mine is closer to completion.  Im bobbing mine as well.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 05/11/10 at 18:40:32

Charon wrote on 05/11/10 at 18:10:18:
...Essentially, you have made a "fashion stetement" and at the same time decreased the resale value of your motorcycle...

And if you buy an HD, you make a different fashion statement by spending a fortune up front, then instead of taking off non-essential items you start adding $5k in bolt on accessories to make that statement, but do you really change the resale value? Maybe that's why 95% of all used HDs list in GREAT detail every $20 do-hickey that they had the dealership bolt on just trying to justify the +$20k they have into a bike.

A bike that you can ride is not an investment, enjoy it while you can, but don't expect to make money on it!  Cheesy

Personally, I bought my S40 from someone who bobbed it out and after spending about $500 (including a new pair of tires) I now have a bike that is fully equipped again and has more that it did when it was stock. Plus by putting the bike back the way I wanted it I know it much more thoroughly than I would have if I bought it new and only washed it before riding it. Congrats on all the work you did, and I agree that FUGLY green had to go and I like the white  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 05/11/10 at 19:22:14

Not sure why people like to tear up their beautiful bikes. Rip off seats & fenders, make them look like junkers...no offence ment, but could someone shed some light on this practice???

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:30:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ahhh, now that's better!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.