Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Terrible ride yesterday (Read 765 times)
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Re: Terrible ride yesterday
Reply #30 - 05/07/10 at 04:53:24

Baby Hog, since I'm a new rider, here's what I do: I let hubby get about 15-20 feet ahead of me (he knows when I'm uncomfortable) and I try to concentrate on him, you still "see" the road in front of you, but aren't fixiated on it. The cars behind you will "get over it"!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #31 - 05/07/10 at 05:31:18

Wow, I didn't really expect to get so many comments, but I'm really glad! We talk about bike issues, etc, but don't often mention actual riding difficulties, so this is good!  Everyone is different and rides a little differently.  But there have been some great comments, so I will keep everything in mind.  

I've been riding for a little over a year, well except for the 4 winter months of no riding!  haha  Put about 2000 miles on my bike is all.  I think I just had a bad day.  But I made it home safely, and that's the important part.  And I had a beer when I got home!  (Charon, don't worry, I'm not a drinker and driver.  Would not have more than one beer, and only with dinner, if I were riding!)

Suzi - I have always been more comfortable riding in front of hubby instead of behind, because I think he can adjust to what I do better than I can adjust to what he does.  If I slow down, he adjusts easily.  And I may not be able to go as fast as he can go, so it has seemed better for me to set the pace.  He can also watch me better from behind, and make suggestions.  In the Safety course, they also mentioned that new riders should ride near the front, when riding with a group. But now that I have more time under my belt, it might be a good time to try a different position.  I can always yell at him through the headset.    

Thanks everyone for your concern, comments, and suggestions!   Kiss

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 05/07/10 at 12:36:36

When I used to ride w/ my girl I put her in front

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 05/07/10 at 13:17:13

Try re-riding the same road in the daytime a couple of times, see that it isn't really all that scary and try to get some of your confidence back.

=================

Fear is fear -- I always get real tentative & gitchy after a near wreck episode and it takes some intentional effort on my part to get over it.    Weeks, sometimes.

After my bike got smacked in the butt and damaged I lost confidence in it for a while until I got it fixed up again and finally got over my collywobbles.

Fear is fear, don't expect it to be rational or to go away instantly because it won't.   Fear is a response that is designed to keep you alive -- it just is what it is.

Name it, acknowledge it, understand it and work through it.

yep, I get skeered too -- be foolish not to.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 05/07/10 at 13:42:56

My wife rode 45,000 miles with me, always behind me.That way it was up to me to determent the curves,She could always slow down if is wanted and didn't have to worry about me running in to her. That way I was closer to the on coming traffic.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #35 - 05/07/10 at 14:01:45

I have to agree.  I ride everyday to work (and even after work for fun).  It is somewhat strange that on some days I get on the road, and I feel great.  Relaxed, comfortable, focused, and being a bike feels very natural.  Other days, I feel very uneasy, and unfocused.  Not really sure why that is, cause I don't see any clear variable in what make these two types of days different.

Also, was your husband riding in front?  Was he pushing you beyond your comfort zone?  Sometimes riding with others can get me uneasy... trying hard to stay in group and at the same time not go outside my comfort zone.

I just learned to not ride as much on days where I feel "off" and take it easy.

Hope you have a better ride this weekend.

Starlifter wrote on 05/06/10 at 08:33:06:
I don't know when you got a bad feeling about the ride, but there are some days when some inner thing just says don't ride today...I usually listen to that self-advice.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #36 - 05/07/10 at 14:17:13

Cool if you rode more than a mile... i consider that a good ride if you made it home safely.. keep your chin up it will be well with you... and check into some riding glasses that can help and check out this awesome  helmet.. .drop down sun visor and bluetooth ready...
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/HJC10-ISMAX-BT-S...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #37 - 05/08/10 at 23:00:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/07/10 at 12:36:36:
When I used to ride w/ my girl I put her in front

I also always heard that you put the inexperienced riders in front.  That way they're not trying to keep up with more experienced riders who may not realize just how fast they're going.

I always take it easy on unfamiliar roads, and even familiar ones if you have blind corners, or haven't been over the road in a while.  Conditions can change.  Case in point, one of my favorite back roads with some nice little twisties.  Last summer they decided to do some quick and cheap patch jobs on the road, as in: throw down some tar, throw some loose rock on top, let gravity finish the job. Tongue  Take those corners fast, you'll be kissin' a tree!

And ditto on the not drinking.  Alcohol affect balance, and you need all of that you can get on a bike! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #38 - 05/09/10 at 05:58:17

Piglet, nice to hear  you made it home safe. Remember that just because the sign says the speed limit is 55, does not mean you have to go that fast. Especially on unfamilar roads.

Your going to be just fine. You received some great advice here. I would suggest riding the road over and over again so your familar with it,  Another suggestion is never ride a road you aren't familiar with the way you do a road  you know very well...

IP Logged
M38A1
YaBB Newbies

Where to next?

Central Tejas
Reply #39 - 05/09/10 at 07:23:32

Transitional pavement is un-nerving for most folks, me included if it's one after the other that just seems to go on.  The unknown traction differences really toys with your ability to just ride since you have to evaluate each area differently.  The slower speeds are appropriate.

And glasses are the way to go.  Way too much dust, grit, grass etc. floating around that gets sucked into the helmet and somehow always finds it's way to your eyes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 05/09/10 at 08:11:05

M38A1 said

Transitional pavement is un-nerving for most folks,

Ive seen the transitional pavement that was "transitioning" to the shoulder as I went in a ditch.. That was unnerving..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/09/10 at 09:45:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/09/10 at 08:11:05:
M38A1 said

Ive seen the transitional pavement that was "transitioning" to the shoulder as I went in a ditch.. That was unnerving..

So how do think the ditch felt about it?  And all the little animals there in?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #42 - 05/09/10 at 21:09:30

Ive been riding for a while now, and still have my "off" days.  I tried the sport bike deal a while back and that toyed with my nerves every time I rode it.  I didn't really feel any control over it.  Keep you head up and keep on cruise'n.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 05/10/10 at 05:01:09

Phelonius wrote on 05/09/10 at 09:45:02:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/09/10 at 08:11:05:
M38A1 said

So how do think the ditch felt about it?  And all the little animals there in?

Phelonius

I appologized to all involved & promised to never so rudely invade their space again.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #44 - 05/10/10 at 07:44:44

Fear ? Its strange, but its ok.
When I was 21, I nailed a Cadillac in the RF wheel/fender that made a sudden left turn in front of me w/o any signal.
Ever since, and even today yet, 40+ yrs later, I don't really ride in fear, but every time I meet a car thats going slowly,  standing still, or w/ a left signal on, I find myself off the throttle, and never being more ready on both brakes ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:48:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Terrible ride yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.