Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Terrible ride yesterday (Read 765 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Terrible ride yesterday
Reply #15 - 05/06/10 at 08:53:46

Babyhog,

you did the right thing, it woulda been nice to pull over earlier but you couldn't, sometimes it's hard to deal with discomfort when you ride. and it will throw you off your normal game. no worries, you made it back without wrecking so just keep riding!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/06/10 at 08:59:19

babyhog wrote on 05/06/10 at 07:31:56:
But I'm still looking for the secret to entering curves on unfamiliar roads..........  

You won't feel comfortable on unfamiliar roads if you can't see them.
And you know better than I about contacts (glasses... forever) but I've always heard they move around and can impare your vision when they do.  However, as you noted, better perifial vision.
Your choice, but you do have do the maitenance when needed.  Have the "I gotta pull over" signal agreed upon ahead of time.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/06/10 at 09:21:44

So, is that what they call a bad eye day?

Phelonius Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 05/06/10 at 09:44:02

The good thing was that hubby was riding behind me, and we have the Scala Rider communications, so he knew all the way that I was having trouble.  He's good at trying to calm me down... until I yell at myself and it comes off as yelling at him.  lol

I think I'll take a little ride this evening with my glasses on, and see how that goes.

But I appreciate all the comments.  I feel better now.    Smiley  Cool 

Oh, one other thing reared its ugly head a little while ago that may be the root of my un-steadiness...  let's just say you "men" don't have to deal with it... except indirectly...  Might have gotten me off kilter a bit.  I'll have to mark this on the calendar and see if it affects me in future months...  (I apologize if this is TMI, but maybe some women have some input on that part...)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #19 - 05/06/10 at 09:47:55

I always ride in glasses.  If I'm not wearing a helmet with a face mask I have some large wrap around sunglasses that go right over my glasses.  They're very dark so if it's not bright enough for those then I wear these.  
https://www.gethdwraparounds.com/
I bought these mostly to get the bonus night vision glasses which are great after dark.  Plus I just wanted to buy something "as seen on TV"!!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 05/06/10 at 10:00:13

I didn't even think of the periodic difficulties women have, since the difficulty quit afflicting my wife some years ago. And, as you say, we men do not directly experience them. I wonder whether the hormonal changes could actually affect your eyes, perhaps making your contact lenses fit less well (fluid retention happens all over the body). Might be worth thinking about (I heroically refrained from saying "watching for"). If your lenses fit less well your vision could change.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Kenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/06/10 at 11:00:36

Have a few beers before the ride. It helps.

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/06/10 at 11:39:25

Kenny wrote on 05/06/10 at 11:00:36:
Have a few beers before the ride. It helps.

Great tip Huh

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/06/10 at 15:13:18

Reelthing wrote on 05/06/10 at 06:40:20:
Ditch the contacts - they really have no place in a harsh environment - op for 2 pair clear and dark bi-focals - no matter what helmet your wearing or not dirt, grit, wind, and such is blowing every which way or goggles but even then eyes dryout around the contacts.

More time on bike and never let anyone push you faster than you feel comfie going  

Good advice here!
You wouldn't ride with your eyes closed would you?

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #24 - 05/06/10 at 15:16:41

Sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable with that strange road. You done right to respect the curves that you were not familiar with. Seasoned truck drivers know that you can come down a mountain 100 times to slow, but you can only come down 1 time to fast!

Ride Safe
                                                                         Marine5317

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #25 - 05/06/10 at 15:20:39

Since no one else seems willing to say it - I sure hope the people recommending a drink, or a few beers before the ride, are joking. Because if they aren't, they are giving you some REALLY BAD ADVICE. If you are foolish enough to drink and drive, at least do it with a vehicle that doesn't fall down as the result of a mistake.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #26 - 05/06/10 at 15:53:53

Drop down one or two gears so you get the engine in the power range. If you riding slow into a turn in a high gear you don't have any engine braking and the bike handling can feel wierd. Don't focus on the turn, focus on the exit of the turn. And the best advice is that if you don't feel right on the bike pull over and take a break. Turn around and go home if you must, it just isn''t worth getting in to deep. Glad you are OK, keep your chin up kiddo Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Reply #27 - 05/06/10 at 17:08:35

Hi Babyhog. Don't know how long you have been riding but curves/leaning were definitely a hang-up for me. It was only after lots of riding and experience, that I got comfortable. Just take your time and don't worry about going fast. You'll get comfortable little by little as your body and brain create good muscle memory through repeated proprioceptive input.

Stick with it and one day you'll forget to even worry about it. Kim

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #28 - 05/06/10 at 19:02:28

Not going into the eye or other issues, what you experienced is not all that unusual. Even pro athletes have off days or days they perform well beyond their "normal" abilities.

When I have times like this, stopping for 10-15 minutes, get adjusted, have some water and start over. If it is still not working go home. Studies of plane crashes show that it is rarely one issue that causes the crash but a series of small "inconveniences" that lead to a catastrophe. Stop, get the issue(s) and your mind back on track then enjoy the ride.

If it doesn't work, go home have a beer and be able to enjoy the next opportunity.

Beer before the ride doesn't make issues go away, it just makes your perception of the issues go away Grin

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #29 - 05/07/10 at 03:55:20

I occasionally get the same feeling. It's as if I don't know or don't trust the bikes capabilities any more, thinking it'll slide if I lean over further, when I know deep down that I can lean her right over until the pegs scrape.

Try and relax and "feel" the bike more is what I do, so on the next straight I'll just weave a little, until I feel reconnected  Smiley

I don't ride much and I think that's partly what causes it to happen to me. Also happens when I'm thinking about other things rather than concentrating properly, and feeling and enjoying the bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:30:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Terrible ride yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.