Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Terrible ride yesterday (Read 765 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Terrible ride yesterday
05/06/10 at 06:06:12

I had an awful ride yesterday and need some words of wisdom/encouragement.  I figure you never know when someone will say just the right thing, so here's the deal.  

My hubby came to ride with me after work.  We went a different route that I think I've only ridden once.  Curvy road, 55mph speed limit.  Not sure I could drive that road at 55 in my car!  But the pavement was messing with my eyes.  I was having contact lens trouble and couldn't get it to clear, and couldn't find a spot to pull over to put in some drops.  Rode about 20 miles before finding a good road to turn off to stop.  I was also having trouble with patches in the pavement and dips and places where the road had previously sunken, and had been repatched several times.  Hard to explain, I hope you know what I mean.  There weren't many potholes, luckily.  He said I was slowing too much for the curves, and wasn't even leaning into them very much.  I was scared.  I don't know if it was just the unfamiliar road, my contacts bothering me, cars piling up behind us, or what.  I tell you, it was just miserable.  We finally got around to familiar territory, and the last road was good, and I settled down.  But it wasn't a very fun ride.

Several weeks ago, we took a ride on a curvy road that I had never ridden before, and I did great.  I don't know why yesterday was so bad.  
Any thoughts or comments are welcome....    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Terrible ride yesterday
Reply #1 - 05/06/10 at 06:17:54

I have had days where I just wasn't into riding,....so cut the ride short, and had a much better day the next day.

But I think I'm lucky, I seldom have anyone behind me on these lonely mountain roads in these back hills. Except for the Deer, (sometimes standing in the middle of the road when I round a curve) I seldom see a living creature when I ride Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 05/06/10 at 06:22:03

I think you just were nervous,And things just keep getting worst as you think,I have that happen to me at times since I've got older.A drink would straighten that right up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/06/10 at 06:40:20

Ditch the contacts - they really have no place in a harsh environment - op for 2 pair clear and dark bi-focals - no matter what helmet your wearing or not dirt, grit, wind, and such is blowing every which way or goggles but even then eyes dryout around the contacts.

More time on bike and never let anyone push you faster than you feel comfie going

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/06/10 at 06:47:20

Contacts? I don't wear them but I've worn glasses 45 years now. I've been offered the choice of contacts but prefer glasses for the eye protection. If something is off affecting your vision it effects your depth perception. Just try closing one eye & riding & you'll see what I mean. Try it again when your vision is clear & you'll be fine. Smiley

I would get a close fitting pair of glasses & try them for riding.

On another note, I just got a Scorpion EXO 100 half helmet yesterday & have to say it has the best design features of any helmet I've ever seen.
The coolest part is a visor that is recessed into the helmet & drops down wheen you release it. The liner is removable & made of "quick-wick" material. Got to make an 80 mile run this am so I'll have a chance to see how it is 'in the wind'. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 05/06/10 at 07:12:23

Babyhog, I have had some weird rides like that as well.  I seemed really tense or scared or something at every little twist and turn.  It was not much fun.

Sometimes today just ain't your day.  When that happens, just go to plan b.  Go home, get the car, do something different, whatever.  I would not let it worry me too much.  Just look forward to the next time.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 05/06/10 at 07:31:56

Thanks for the comments so far.  I will consider a new pair of glasses.  Have been comfortable with contacts for over 25 years.  Only had maybe 3 pairs of glasses in that time.  Just don't keep them up to date.  Current pair is a bit of an old prescription.  Last time I went to the eye doc, just a couple months ago, he told me that my next prescription will be bi-focals, so I might as well get used to the idea.  I always heard that getting old was he11, I guess I'm getting to know it personally.  haha   I think peripheral vision for riding is better with contacts, but there are good and bad both ways, I guess.

On a side note, my mother fell one winter, slipped on a piece of ice in her yard, fell into a bush that had been cut down for the winter.  She was wearing her glasses instead of her contacts.  The glasses broke and went into her eye, caused all kinds of damage.  Several surgeries later, she is fine, but if she had been wearing her contacts, she would have just had a bump on her forehead, most likely.    

Otherwise, I'm not ready to give up riding.  I guess I just wanted some stroking that everyone has those kinds of days/rides.  

But I'm still looking for the secret to entering curves on unfamiliar roads..........  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/06/10 at 07:56:11

on the glasses business - go for shatter proof wrap around - we're looking for protection in a harsh environment - very different application than the for looks designer stuff - not saying you don't need those just not on a bike,running an off shore boat, walking around with a weedeater and such

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/06/10 at 08:01:57

I have been wearing prescription sunglass for about 15 years,The only thing I don't like about them,It looks like your sitting about 2 inches higher than you really are,I've had 4 different glasses and they all did the same thing ,When I'm on my bicycle its the same thing like 2-3 inches higher than if I take them off. If you like contacts I wouldn't change.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/06/10 at 08:22:51

bill67 wrote on 05/06/10 at 08:01:57:
 I have been wearing prescription sunglass for about 15 years,The only thing I don't like about them,It looks like your sitting about 2 inches higher than you really are,I've had 4 different glasses and they all did the same thing ,When I'm on my bicycle its the same thing like 2-3 inches higher than if I take them off. If you like contacts I wouldn't change.

Unless youd rather not have a weak spot built into your life. Seeing is too important to not go about it in the way that is most likely to succeed. Contacts aint the solution.

People like shorts, tee shirts & flip flops, but they arent the smart way to ride. Contacts arent the smart answer either.

& If the foam inside the helmet touches the temple pieces, it will induce "World Shake". I had to mod my helmet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 05/06/10 at 08:25:29

bill67 wrote on 05/06/10 at 08:01:57:

Is that before or after the drink ? Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 05/06/10 at 08:27:30

Either way,I corner much better if I don't have the glasses on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 05/06/10 at 08:29:59

Babyhog Quote:
But I'm still looking for the secret to entering curves on unfamiliar roads..........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very simple,....
"SLOWLY"

Rich
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #13 - 05/06/10 at 08:33:06

I don't know when you got a bad feeling about the ride, but there are some days when some inner thing just says don't ride today...I usually listen to that self-advice.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 05/06/10 at 08:36:04

There is no "secret" to entering curves, on either familiar or unfamiliar roads. It is easy. All you do is go slow enough so you can stop within the distance you can see. If you run faster than your sight distance, you are at the mercy of potholes, oil spills (some people deliberately oil the road for the benefit of motorcyclists), wet leaves, gravel, large vehicles, wildlife, and the list goes on. True, the "go slow" technique isn't very exciting. But you neither need nor want the excitement of a spill or a collision.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:40:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Terrible ride yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.