Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How fast can stock savage go? (Read 1075 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: How fast can stock savage go?
Reply #30 - 04/19/10 at 22:32:16

I had mine around 90 mph indicated, with a little throttle left.  Dunno if the extra throttle would've got me more speed, since I ran out of nerve. Grin  That was with a Dyna muffler, and around 1/2 a white spacer's worth of washers, and my chin on the bars. Cheesy

Oh, and 200+ lbs of me... Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
crabpainter

Look Twice Save A
Life    

Kentucky
Reply #31 - 04/20/10 at 01:32:39

I've had mine up to around 70+ with every indication there was more to be had. All I could hear was wheezing through the air box. No mods on this bike.

Interested in pre 70's British bikes or Hodaka's.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 04/20/10 at 02:12:09

Routy wrote on 04/18/10 at 21:08:08:
Speaking of wanting a higher final gear,......
If we're fresh outta horsepower at 85, I'm sure we don't have a lot of reserve power at 60, especially at only 4,000 R's.
Now if we raise the gearing,..... drop those R's to 3500 or less, we won't have any reserve power, and we will be taxing the engine, and wondering why the pipes are turning blue w/ just a little headwind,....ya think?

Why anyone would think 4,000 R's at 60 mph, is reving too high, I don't understand. I remember the days ridin those hi revin short stroke twins that you had to rev to 10,000 to get anything out of them. At 60 mph I think the gearing is perfect for crusin. The factory engineers didn't gear it that way because they are stupid.

But now if we bump the HP up to 50-60, yeah, we mite used a little taller gear. 

apples and oranges man; a high reving short stroke multi-cyl 2 stroke is totally different than a long stroke big single.

There is just no comparison to the torque made by a long stroke big single...I love it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 04/20/10 at 02:14:03

Routy wrote on 04/19/10 at 04:39:24:
Darn, now you makin me go look up a Black Shadow,....cuz I been outta bikin ever since my new CB 450 and new 750 Atlas.  Embarrassed

The Black Shadow
is the name I gave the bike that my son bought from Diamond Jim a few months back.

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 04/20/10 at 07:05:41

95.9 mph on GPS, speedo was pretty accurate with my worn out stock tire.  I believe I can break 100 mph as I've had the speedo showing 103 on a day with good air.  Taller tire will go on to help with the mission.

A.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #35 - 04/20/10 at 11:59:53

Stock Bike (see sig)

After riding the back roads far from home I took the I-5 back home. I don't normally go over 70mph when cruising, but the weather was nice and I was pumped from the backroads, before I knew it I was around 83mph and passing everything. Cheesy  RPMs were around 5000-5250 and she still had more to give as I passed big rigs and small eco-cars.

I "cruised" home averaging about 80mph. I though she would drink more fuel at that speed for almost an hour, but nope same as normal.

Oh, my new tires (thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267116732/25#25) have been absolutely fantastic. Don't skimp on the rubber, get great tires and you will enjoy your ride more.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 04/20/10 at 12:29:57

LANCER wrote on 04/20/10 at 02:12:09:
Routy wrote on 04/18/10 at 21:08:08:
Speaking of wanting a higher final gear,......
If we're fresh outta horsepower at 85, I'm sure we don't have a lot of reserve power at 60, especially at only 4,000 R's.
Now if we raise the gearing,..... drop those R's to 3500 or less, we won't have any reserve power, and we will be taxing the engine, and wondering why the pipes are turning blue w/ just a little headwind,....ya think?

Why anyone would think 4,000 R's at 60 mph, is reving too high, I don't understand. I remember the days ridin those hi revin short stroke twins that you had to rev to 10,000 to get anything out of them. At 60 mph I think the gearing is perfect for crusin. The factory engineers didn't gear it that way because they are stupid.

But now if we bump the HP up to 50-60, yeah, we mite used a little taller gear. 

apples and oranges man; a high reving short stroke multi-cyl 2 stroke is totally different than a long stroke big single.

There is just no comparison to the torque made by a long stroke big single...I love it.

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, I love the slow turnin stroker too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #37 - 06/14/10 at 02:23:21

mine tops out about 83mph, with or without a passenger.  Shocked

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
fascar228
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Islamabad
Reply #38 - 06/14/10 at 02:44:57

To whom it may concern

2010 S40.....stock except muffler mod....93mph flat...sitting straight....front end light....vibration..... Huh
won't do that again.....
65-75mph is manageable on this bike.....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 06/14/10 at 03:35:18

Fascar are using stock jets?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #40 - 06/14/10 at 12:52:52

Motorcycle speedos are often and notoriously optimistic. I've had them read 10% higher than actual (against a GPS). I've taken my daughter's stock Savage to 85 indicated. It was stable, but I was probably doing 77.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #41 - 06/14/10 at 15:50:57

I have checked my stock '07 against both mileposts and a GPS, and it is within a mile or so of correct at speeds up to 65 mph. I have not checked it at higher speeds. By the way, that is with the OEM IRC tire, much maligned by some. I replaced the original IRC with another, simply because the speedometer (and odometer) both are accurate using that tire.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #42 - 06/15/10 at 01:09:06

I got my stock '08 up to 87 indicated before my PPF kicked in. (Personal Pucker Factor) As others have already mentioned, it starts to feel a little light in the front end at those speeds. Still had throttle left though.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
newcruiserRIDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 06/16/10 at 17:05:24

I take mine on the highway all the time, get to 125km/hr no problem (sorry I am canadian, I guess that is about 100mph).....just don't be so quick to get it into 5th and it still has a bit of acceleration when you kick it into 5th....nothing you can do about the vibrations, but hold on tightSmiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 06/16/10 at 18:25:58

Duane wrote on 06/14/10 at 02:23:21:
mine tops out about 83mph, with or without a passenger.  Shocked

Thats because its geared to low,If they were gear 10% higher a lot of them would hit 100 mph.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:17:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast can stock savage go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.