REFRIED BEANS (Read 195 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
REFRIED BEANS
04/12/10 at 02:56:31

No, this has nothing to do with Mexican cooking, but...

I had started by a wanton desire to change the spark plug to my Savage...
...which requires disassembling the tank...
...which requires disconecting the speedo cable and wiring...
...which both require to disassemble the front seat...
...so I might as well check the battery and recharge it because it's kinda flat and the bike won't start...
...so I have to remove the toolbox and the two side panels...

OK, so, by the tmie I had the bike's innards sprawled on the floor... by the roadside I remembered Diger's extra jumper cable setup, and wondered "why not ?"

So, I snipped some a 2-foot length of 6 sq.mm. cable from a roll I salvaged (it's about 1/4" across) and connected one end to the positive terminal...
Undecided
...then trailed the cable along the battery box to the other side...
Undecided
...then snipped a little (1/2") of the sheath and plugged it into a rubber plug-like thingy...
Undecided
...then was lost for a place to store it in...
Undecided
...so I rolled it into a nice tight little roll, into a thick old PVC tool roll and into the tool kit recess !
Cool

BUT, that's not all...

I may have found the ideal spark plug...

I pulled out the old NGK, which was black with soot.

OK, so the mixture is waaay too rich (I had had the carb jetted for a big K&N air filter, but they never fitted it, so I was stuck with an OEM air filter, air snorkel etc., plus an over-jetted carb...)
but the plug electrodes were also waaay too close !
Shocked
Nowonder the bike would cough and sputter and die at traffic lights !
Shocked
So I replaced the plug with a new BOSCH X5DTC...  Cheesy

What's so special about this plug ?

It has three electrodes, so even if one is fouled (the carb was still over-rich) the others should still be able to deliver a good spark...

I then went to the (unplugged) air mixture screw to the right side of the carb, and tightened (clockwise) half a turn (180șclockwise)

Let's see how this works.

Wink

PS Why the thread title "Refried Beans ?"
Remember my coiled up jumper lead ? I'll have to re-route it, else...
...that's how my "beans&bacon" will look like if I don't fix it !!!  Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: REFRIED BEANS
Reply #1 - 04/12/10 at 03:13:57

BOSCH X5DTC

Notice the three electrodes  Cool

Exact fit to the Savage, purrs like a baby...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 04/12/10 at 07:14:34

sweeeeet!! sounds like u had fun! i've had my tank, seat, and battery box of way more then i should have for only havin the beast for a year lol

dyin @ traffic lights, are u sure that's not the petcock? don't be in denial like i was lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/12/10 at 07:22:42

I'm just curious,...why would the petcock cause dying at traffic lites ...when vacuum is at its highest, and fuel consumption is at its lowest ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 04/12/10 at 07:29:46

apparently the diaphram inside cracks and stalls u out @ idle(sittin @ lights) and goes away while riding(when vacuum is @ it's lowest)

i just replaced my diaphram and it runs great in "on" and not "prime" which isn't vacuum controlled

pretty sure i got that right! amazing how taking it apart makes u seem smarter lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/12/10 at 08:05:56

Rich?
Take out the snorkle.
Still rich?
Open the door.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 04/12/10 at 10:12:42

just to throw it out there, those were the same symptoms my bike had before i changed the petcock.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/13/10 at 05:25:55

rigidchop wrote on 04/12/10 at 10:12:42:
just to throw it out there, those were the same symptoms my bike had before i changed the petcock.

I did change the petcock to a "whatever-banzai-raptor-quad-compatible"... Roll Eyes

Yamaha Raptor, that's it !

But she still stalled  when slownig down or when idling... Tongue

As I said, the old plug had the electrodes waaay too close for cmofort (and would foul waaay too easily on starting)
so I changed the plug (or, I could have cleaned the plug and opened up the gap,
but WhaThaHey, I had spent the money on a new plug, USE IT !

Also, the old plug was black and sooty => over rich carburation.

I tightened the mixture screw by half a turn, if that won't work, as Verslagen said, drill small holes (3mm = 1/8th inch) all over the side panel next to the tool box (it's plastic anyway)

The important jobbie is to fix that jumper cable lead... if the vibrations wear the sleeve away...  Shocked Shocked Shocked some short !!!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #8 - 04/14/10 at 16:17:32

So what do you think the the spark plug? I don't know, I tend to stick to OEM as much as possible on stuff like that.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 04/15/10 at 02:12:21

I think it's just GREAT !  Cool

I will check the plug this coming weekend, because I'm sure that the fuel/air mix is still too rich
(and I really don't nkow how to change needles... have a box full of needles but refuse to remove the carb etc. ...)
so I guess I'll drill a nice number of holes in the right side air cover (the inner plastic one, the metal outer one needs new fixing holes in the frame anyway  Tongue)
Say, a seto of 1/8th inch holes spaced every 3/8th inch, staggered, throughout the air cover.

Maybe one day I will eventually get to fitting a "proper" foam air filter, I have two to choose from sitting on a shelf, just can't find the proper rubber hose to go from the carb intake to the location I want the air filter to be.

I'll have to check radiator hoses,for the right diameter and bend...

Anyway, back to the 3-pronged plug: the nice thing is the bike won't stall anymore... Smiley
..which is GREAT at junctions  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:32:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › REFRIED BEANS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.