Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle grinder? (Read 150 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle grinder?
04/11/10 at 03:26:48

Would you pay $9.99 for a 4.3 amp, 11,000 rpm 4 1/2" angle grinder?

.... or $1.99 for a decent digital volt/ohm multimeter?

If so, check your Sunday paper for the Harbor Freight ad ....

(free flashlight too)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle grinder
Reply #1 - 04/11/10 at 06:04:14

I have 2 angle grinders, one with a slide switch, one with a paddle switch. After about 2 years, the one w/ the paddle started getting hard to get it to go. I discovered the paddle had bent so that when I squeezed it, it wasnt getting enough pressure on the switch to make it go. I used some wire & epoxy & reinforced the paddle& it has worked perfectly since. I like the paddle switch grinders a lot. I have one grinder setup w/ a metal cutoff blade, the other has a grinder on it. The "El Cheapo" grinder disks at Harbor Freight arent very good, wear oput fast & sling all kinds of junk as they disintegrate. I use Norton or some other name brand for the cut off disks & grinders.

The el cheapo DVM for $1.99, I have one, along with one Ive had for almost 20 years I got @ Radio Shack. Its good to have one you can toss around.

The flashlight is a good light, & its really free.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle gr
Reply #2 - 04/11/10 at 06:11:49

Believe it or not, I bought 2 grinders for $7 each (they had a pallet full) at Quartzsite. Quality? HF tools mite be better. I have seen cheap, and then I've seen really cheep ! Like the 4 new 3 ton bottle jacks for $2 each, but 2 of them woudn't work. When I tried to take them apart, I couldn't. They were a welded unit Grin

But good prices for here, and one thing about HF, you can take anything back.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle gr
Reply #3 - 04/11/10 at 06:18:38

Quote:
The "El Cheapo" grinder disks at Harbor Freight arent very good, wear oput fast & sling all kinds of junk as they disintegrate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
This is very true, and I believe this is one place where the law should set standards. Those wheels can hurt you !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/10 at 07:07:57

not if I wanted to use it twice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/11/10 at 07:17:22

Ive never had one break, they just wear so fast they are a steady stream of tiny bits. They are `rated to a certain RPM. Yea, they can break. People shouldnt use one if its chipped or if its been dropped hard.
The cheap grinders are pretty dependable. Maybe not Makita dependable, but, they cheap enough & dependable enough for the hobbyist. If I was a welder, making a living welding, I wouldnt have the HF grinder. For my needs & my pocketbook, I call HF a good place to shop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/11/10 at 08:59:40

Odd that somebody said a Makita is a good grinder because that is what this one is a carbon copy of.

Get real boys & girls -- real Japanese or American would cost you $9.99 jest for a two pack of grinding wheels.

We are talking cheep stuff here -- usable, but not fancy.  You will get your investment back out of it several times before it breaks on you.

Toss rocks at it all you want -- you can have one to use or you can wish you had a real Japanese or real American grinder.

(BTW, real Japanese and real American doesn't really exist any more -- you may pay extra for the old reliable brand name but guess where it is all really made these days ....)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/11/10 at 10:58:20

I've been using HF grinders and air tools for years. Think of it like this,
Tht is about the same price you would pay to rent one for a day and it is brand new.  I ave also noticed that if I loan one out it always comes back where'as my makita never was returned and a month later the guy moved away.
I once paid 80 bucks for an Ingersol Rand 90 degree air grinder. It crapped the bed on the second use.  Chicago Pneumatics ( the brand HF) sells will last for years if you lube them properly.
another affordable brand is Grizzley or Enco. I have purchased lathes and milling machines from them. No complaints.

Phelonius

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #8 - 04/11/10 at 11:37:46

The

Bitterness

Of  poor quality

remains   long  after the  

Sweetness

the  low price is forgotten!  

Ride Safe
                                                                                Marine5317

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 04/11/10 at 13:58:20

hmmmmm ....  

slogans vs the words of those who have used the stuff  ....

$99.99 Makita vs $9.99 Makita rip off

oh, what to do?  what to do?

oh, what to do with the other $90

that I didn't have to spend

to get the same look-pretty-much-alike

(but maybe not perform exactly alike)

4 1/2" grinder

for what I saved I can buy a $79.99 compound miter saw

(I always wanted me one of those)

oh, what to do, what to do?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 04/11/10 at 15:37:35

I almost always get a set of motor brushes w/ any of the little cheap grinders, and always wonder why. They know darn well that cheap grinder is never going to wear out a set of motor brushes. Now if they would have extra switches in w/ them, maybe, just maybe I mite need the motor brushes, ya think ?

Rich
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/11/10 at 15:44:02

Ive got a 200$ bosch hammer drill that burned up after 1 USE.  They would not refund it or fix it or anything. I tried a HF hammerdrill and have had no problem with it after 2 years of hard abuse.

I Buy their cut off wheels cause I cant see spending 5 bucks on one thats gonna last a few minutes anyway.

Ive used the angle grinders but never owned one. Ive got a Hilti, 2 Bosch's, and 2 Makita's  and the only trouble I have had out of them is the cords wearing out.

Most of the HF stuff is crap, but some stuff works well.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 04/12/10 at 07:43:25

I've had several that as the edge gets thinner, larger pcs break out of the edge and have even drawed blood  Angry But these are probably not HFs wheels. At the tool places in Quartzsite, the 4.5 hardwheels are 4/ $100, and they should never let these wheels over the border !

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/11/10 at 07:17:22:
Ive never had one break, they just wear so fast they are a steady stream of tiny bits. They are `rated to a certain RPM. Yea, they can break. People shouldnt use one if its chipped or if its been dropped hard.
The cheap grinders are pretty dependable. Maybe not Makita dependable, but, they cheap enough & dependable enough for the hobbyist. If I was a welder, making a living welding, I wouldnt have the HF grinder. For my needs & my pocketbook, I call HF a good place to shop.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:33:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would you pay $9.99 for a 4 1/2" angle grinder?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.