Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carburetor HELP! (I think) (Read 135 times)
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Carburetor HELP! (I think)
04/10/10 at 08:00:23

At about 3200 miles my 2008 S40 started intermittently not accelerating past what felt like 1/2 throttle. I would twist the throttle to about the 1/2 way point with normal acceleration, but "flat" after that. Took it to the dealer when it was acting up who had no idea, they cleaned the carb and contacted Suzuki. Suzuki told them it was probably the petcock which was changed out under warranty. It was better, not gone but better acting up much less often. At about 11k miles it acted up for about a day and a half on a road trip. Then went away again.

Now, just shy of 14k miles it is back again. When it acts up I have tried the petcock in every position with no change, checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks and kinks. I run premium (helps minimize the back fire issue) from a national chain when ever possible usually from the same station near my home.

It feels to me like an air valve is sticking, any ideas are appreciated. 2008 Suzuki S40, no mods except for K&N air filter.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carburetor HELP! (I think)
Reply #1 - 04/10/10 at 10:05:24

No need for premium,... but whatever...

If no change at any petcock position, and vacuum line in not leaking air... that rules out the petcock...

I'd rule out most electrical problems,... because, although they can be intermittent, they are usually either working or not... running or dead, rather than reduced power...

I'd be looking into the carb,... possibly a sticky slide,..
can't be a plugged jet or passage with an intermittent symptom...
So, I'd bet it's the slide...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/10/10 at 10:29:18

So, I'd bet it's the slide...

At'd be my first guess

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/10/10 at 17:02:33

im goina come way out of left field here..
IF you still have the stock battery id check it..
the ls at higher rpms draws from the battery..(have a volt meter mounted)[if the battery is weak] the electronics dont like under voltage,
two year old battery with no maintenance with show your symptoms...
it happened to me when i turned the bliker on!!bike started pulsing to the flasher rate..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #4 - 04/11/10 at 18:21:07

Thanks for the ideas! I put in some Sea Foam to see if it will help with what ever is sticking for a possible easy fix. If not then I'll dig into it.

I'll also checked to make sure the battery is full and will hook up a voltmeter the next time it occurs. I ride year round and have managed to never go more than 2 weeks without getting out so a charge has been maintained.

Thanks again for being part of a great site!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 04/12/10 at 07:09:52

I'll add one point about premium fuel.... not many people buy it, so ask the station where you've been buying it, how much they sell.  Gasoline gets flat and our bikes don't like it.  If they don't sell much premium, its getting stale, and you could be the only one buying it.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:30:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor HELP! (I think)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.