Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: fork brace
Reply #15 - 03/28/10 at 19:25:49

Dj12midnit wrote on 03/28/10 at 18:12:04:
In real simple terms it helps prevent flex in the forks.

In other words if I ride just a normal laid back crusing ride, not pushing it into the turn etc etc, I don't need one ??  Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #16 - 03/28/10 at 19:43:08

Routy wrote on 03/28/10 at 19:25:49:
Dj12midnit wrote on 03/28/10 at 18:12:04:
In real simple terms it helps prevent flex in the forks.

In other words if I ride just a normal laid back crusing ride, not pushing it into the turn etc etc, I don't need one ??  Shocked

Just crusing down the road little things can cause flex. Things like grooves, turtles (also know as idiot dots.) Here they do things like, recessing the turtles, rain grooves in the highway. The effects of these things can be reduced by adding a fork brace,

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 03/29/10 at 03:23:28

DJ is right, I am a laid back rider as well.  I can really tell a difference with mine than without.  Anything that makes the road uneven feels better with the brace, it sort of cuts the wiggle out.  

Some can probably explain it much better and in more technical terms.  But my seat of the pants experience is I like mine.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 03/29/10 at 05:10:50

They might even make more difference on older bike that has loosened up a little ,than a new bike that is still tight.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 03/29/10 at 12:28:54

Can I make one ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #20 - 03/29/10 at 13:22:12

Routy wrote on 03/29/10 at 12:28:54:
Can I make one ? Shocked

I'd be willing to bet you can Routy...

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 03/29/10 at 18:47:25

babyhog wrote on 03/29/10 at 13:22:12:
Can I make one ? Shocked

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace/brace_pieces.JPG

Babyhog,...
Thanks for the blueprint, and a good one at that.

I hate to admitt it, but yep, I can make that. I wish I had a little milling machine, but I can make that on my lathe and a drill press. Trick to that is to cut the blocks in half, or use 2 seperate blocks to avoid the cutting then drill & tap and bolt them back together, then grab it in a 4 jaw and bore it to .003 under the fork dia. And its even 3pc adjustable so no center to center tollerance to hold. Pc a cake Smiley

Now, to find some aluminum material !

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 03/29/10 at 18:58:11

If you want to make a fork brace I think it would be a lot easier making one like a super  brace. You could make it all in one piece and then cut in half.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 03/29/10 at 21:02:08

Right on, thats why a mill would be nice. I can only swing 4.5" over the bed, about 1/2 of what I'd need to do it in one pc. But there again, if done on a mill, you'd cut it, then bolt it together, then bore it .002-.003" undersize for a no gap press fit.

bill67 wrote on 03/29/10 at 18:58:11:
 If you want to make a fork brace I think it would be a lot easier making one like a super  brace. You could make it all in one piece and then cut in half.

Rich
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #24 - 03/30/10 at 05:44:06

Routy wrote on 03/29/10 at 18:47:25:
Can I make one ? Shocked

Babyhog,...

I hate to admitt it, but yep, I can make that. I wish I had a little milling machine, but I can make that on my lathe and a drill press. Trick to that is to cut the blocks in half, or use 2 seperate blocks to avoid the cutting then drill & tap and bolt them back together, then grab it in a 4 jaw and bore it to .003 under the fork dia. And its even 3pc adjustable so no center to center tollerance to hold. Pc a cake Smiley

How thick is the aluminum?  I have good access to steel/alum/etc., we actually have some 1/4" aluminum plate in stock, but its probably thicker than that, huh.    

Ouch, the SuperBrace for our bike is $150+    
I looked on ebay, and I'm not crazy about the design/look of any of them, really.  I like the Tkat better than the SuperBrace... just for my taste.  But I would like to try one!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #25 - 03/30/10 at 09:45:17

Routy wrote on 03/29/10 at 18:47:25:
Can I make one ? Shocked

Babyhog,...

Routy, if you can make one, I bet you can make a nice piece of change if you sold them here like Ed L. does his Forward Controls. I personally do not need one because of my girder front end, but many folks here I bet would love to get one and not have to pay the high price.

I would try to make one myself but I do not have my original front end for test fitting.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #26 - 03/30/10 at 11:09:52

It looks like the Tkat listing is gone from the marketplace, and the website. I guess I'll go with the Superbrace. Someone said the fork protectors on the Superbrace do not line up properly and so are not effective and look odd.
Does anyone have the Superbrace fork protectors? What is your opinion of their looks and effectiveness?

In addition does anyone have the OEM windscreen? How does the OEM stack up against other windscreens on the market?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #27 - 03/30/10 at 11:34:26

Starlifter wrote on 03/30/10 at 11:09:52:
It looks like the Tkat listing is gone from the marketplace, and the website. I guess I'll go with the Superbrace. Someone said the fork protectors on the Superbrace do not line up properly and so are not effective and look odd.
Does anyone have the Superbrace fork protectors? What is your opinion of their looks and effectiveness?

In addition does anyone have the OEM windscreen? How does the OEM stack up against other windscreens on the market?

Looks like TKat is still around  :

email address is on that page too.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 03/30/10 at 11:43:30

I have the super brace with fork protectors they do protect the fork.When you look at the bike straight from the front it looks like they could of been a little more to the center,Really doesn't look bad,And once there on you really never look at them,at least I don't.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #29 - 03/30/10 at 11:43:58

Ah-so, thanks....but but now they are saying that the Superbrace works better.... Huh

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork brace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.