Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 120
Send Topic Print
Scavenger Hunt anyone? (Read 25884 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Scavenger Hunt anyone?
Reply #510 - 07/25/10 at 19:17:54

I like the idea of mostest wins but since it wasn't stated up front I think firstest wins.  That and I think Alice made the show.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #511 - 07/26/10 at 09:05:06

Come on doc, serve us up!  Next?????

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #512 - 07/26/10 at 14:17:36

OK, this time we're going for "mostest".  The winner will be whoever collects the most points for recycled houses of worship.  To qualify, the structure must have been designed or initially used as a church, synagogue, mosque, chapel, cathedral, temple or shrine.  (Catholic schools or colleges, church affiliated colleges, Pakistani madrassas don't qualify, but if a college chapel was converted to, say, a food court or performance venue that building would.)

Voluntary turnover is rewarded, coercion is penalized.

Here's the scoring system, followed by some examples:

5 points  Church building voluntarily de-sanctified and used for a secular purpose.  Example, the church in the Alice's restaurant song that is now a restaurant.  The synagogue in St. Louis which is now the library for the history museum.

4 points  The building stays religious, but changes religion.  Some examples:  the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul -- went from Byzantine Christian cathedral to Muslim mosque.  Any of a number of inner city Black churches that took over the building of a synagogue whose congregation had moved to the suburbs.

3 points  The building changes denominations, but remains in the same religious stream.  An example would be if a Protestant church changes from Church of Christ to Unitarian, or if a mosque goes from Sunni to Shia.

2 points   The building is abandoned and is derelict or in ruins.

Subtract 1 point for coercion.  So, when Henry VIII forced an English cathedral to change from Catholic to Church of England Protestant, that's 2 points -- 3 for changing flavors of Christianity minus one for doing it at the point of a sword.  Churches turned into warehouses by the Communists or synagogues shut down by Nazis or fascists:  5 - 1 = 4 points.

Time frame:  till next Monday, so we have the weekend for riding!

Lets see those photos and point counts!   Cool

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #513 - 07/26/10 at 18:29:08

drharveys - FSO wrote on 07/26/10 at 14:17:36:
OK, this time we're going for "mostest".  
Subtract 1 point for coercion.  So, when Henry VIII forced an English cathedral to change from Catholic to Church of England Protestant, that's 2 points -- 3 for changing flavors of Christianity minus one for doing it at the point of a sword.  Churches turned into warehouses by the Communists or synagogues shut down by Nazis or fascists:  5 - 1 = 4 points.

Time frame:  till next Monday, so we have the weekend for riding!

Lets see those photos and point counts!   Cool

Dude...I am going to have to print this out to keep it all straight!!  Roll Eyes

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #514 - 07/26/10 at 21:47:51

5 points  Church building voluntarily de-sanctified and used for a secular purpose. ....

If the church is only partly used of the secular?

Most churches have bell towers or steeples.  Some are used as cellular telephone sites, with a room with the equipment, and with cellular antennas?  (I had built some T1 circuits in site a church.)  I don't longer access to the equipment room, but would just the antennas count?

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #515 - 07/27/10 at 05:15:23

And how are we gonna "prove" the history of the original use of the building? Or how the change came about?  

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to do some deep thinking on this one....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #516 - 07/27/10 at 19:48:25

OK

I know of a place that was a Mom and Pop  Grocery store ,

Became a Baptist Chruch (Penticostle)

And is now Lynchburg Choppers (Motorcycle Shop and hang-out)

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Wow ..... How many points is that gona be ?

« Last Edit: 07/28/10 at 10:13:26 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #517 - 07/27/10 at 21:21:43

As for the history, I'll take your word for it.

MMRanch wrote on 07/27/10 at 19:48:25:
OK

I know of a place that was a Mom and Pop  Grocery store ,

Became a Baptist Chruch (Penticostle)

And is now Lynchburg Choppers (Motorcycle Shop and hang-out)

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Wow ..... How many points is that gona be ?

Eight Points -- the count begins when the structure becomes a church, otherwise every storefront church would be a five pointer.

Going from Baptist to Pentecostal is a change within the Protestant stream -- 3 points.

Going from church to choppers is a voluntary (hopefully the church moved on to larger quarters, but if they had to downsize or dissolve due to loss of congregants or economic factors that's not the same as being shut down by the authorities).  And, unless you consider choppers to be a religious conviction, a cycle shop is secular, so that's 5 more points.

Post it and you're in the lead!   Smiley

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #518 - 07/27/10 at 22:12:24

HOT DOG

I'll get a early ride tomorrow

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/07/28/bikepics-2028043-800.jpg

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/07/28/bikepics-2028046-800.jpg

Cool

Come on Folks ........... If I get to pick its going to be something  "NOT PERTY".  

« Last Edit: 07/28/10 at 10:15:39 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #519 - 07/30/10 at 05:09:21

We have eight points on the board!

Weekend is approaching -- let's get into the double digits.

And let's hear from the European side of the pond -- from the Protestant reformation through the totalitarian regimes of the twentieth century, there's lots of altered churches to be found!  (Anyone for a quick trip to Spain, I understand the Inquisition and the Reconquista shifted the uses of a lot of religious buildings...)

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #520 - 07/30/10 at 05:55:43

To qualify, the structure must have been designed or initially used as a church, synagogue, mosque, chapel, cathedral, temple or shrine.  

Did I miss a rule change?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #521 - 07/30/10 at 07:57:46

Ummm....  Not original a building.  L.A. have church stores on every other block.  I am sure many have reverted to being a store/etc..  Sounds like I'm back into the race with my Cell Site.

WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #522 - 07/30/10 at 14:00:41

why do you all think that building wasn't originally used as a church??  

is that the question?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #523 - 07/30/10 at 18:22:21

Well, here's my 5 points, I think:

309 Beauregard Street, Charleston, WV

Current home of the Kanawha Players, a local theater company.  The "history" page of their website (http://kanawhaplayers.org/?page_id=90) indicates that they bought the church in 2005 and began renovations.  The "contact us" page also shows a picture of the building.  I think it is obvious that it was a church, but if you Google the address, a listing for "First Christian Church" comes up.  http://www.churchangel.com/WEBWV/crw.htm

I have a couple others in mind that I didn't get to photograph yet.  I hope the rain holds off tomorrow!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #524 - 07/30/10 at 18:23:32

LostArtist wrote on 07/30/10 at 14:00:41:
why do you all think that building wasn't originally used as a church??  

is that the question?

He said it was a Mom and Pop grocery store first....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 120
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:48:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Scavenger Hunt anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.