Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: New to Forum
Reply #45 - 03/16/10 at 18:00:04

Ok, a simple question,
If the Dana inlet is already too big to match the size of the header pipe, (everyone says they are) then why would you make it bigger. And how does that cure the alignment problem ? Is making a hole that is already too big, being used in place of the 7-10 degree alignment problem ? Please say you're kidding ! Or tell me what I'm missing.
Arthur wrote on 03/16/10 at 15:41:10:
So did mine. If you open the mouth of the Dyna pipe with a tailpipe expander tool, it will slide right in.  I didn't, and had to tap my Dyna gently to get it to fit within 5/16" of the shoulder on the Savage header pipe.  Other than that, it was an easy, permanent install.  Did yours slide right on the header without effort?  How far was the shoulder of the Savage pipe from the mouth of the Dyna pipe, when it stopped?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 03/16/10 at 18:15:53

The Dyna inlet is not large enough to allow the Savage header pipe to slide far enough in to allow a secure fit.  You either open it up, or use enough pressure to force it on until it stops.  Various members have found that it will stop 5/16" from the header pipe shoulder. Mine stopped at that point also.  That amount is sufficient for leak proof reliability, when properly clamped.

The finished assembly angles in towards the back of the bike, as I have shown in pictures.  The angle is not that bad, nor is it 7-10 degrees off.  See the pictures.  This has been done by a lot of members without welding, or sleeves.  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #47 - 03/16/10 at 19:36:30

Thanks Gort.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 03/16/10 at 19:57:53

My pleasure.  

I have been here long enough to hear so many issues over this installation, that it has led me to suspect that part of the problem may be that the Savage frames may not all be made precisely the same.  A few degrees off here, and a few degrees of difference there, may add up to enough total difference to cause  people problems with the converted exhaust assembly angling back in towards the frame, too much.  Then there is the Savage header pipe end, which is sandwich sleeved and not very precisely done.  There may be thickness variations from one pipe to the next.  That may not  matter if you use the Savage muffler since it was designed to fit any Savage header, no matter how much variation there is in that pipe.  But it may matter when you try to put a Dyna over the pipe.  Also, the inside of the Dyna pipe tapers just a little, as it gets closer to the actual muffler entrance.  There is probably variation in the tapers from one Dyna to the next, since they are not precision made.  This might account for why some people can't get it on far enough.

But then there is the human factor, also.  Not everyone has the mechanical ability, experience level or patience to do this adaptation.  So who knows what the problem really is here.  For some, its easy.  All you can do is try it and see what happens.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #49 - 03/16/10 at 20:08:08

Arthur wrote on 03/16/10 at 18:15:53:
The Dyna inlet is not large enough to allow the Savage header pipe to slide far enough in to allow a secure fit.  
You either open it up, or use enough pressure to force it on until it stops.

I still don't understand this.   My header pipe is 2 and 7/16 to the collar.   The header goes a full 2 inches into the Dyna before it stops against the lip on the inside of the muffler, leaving only 7/16 left.   I don't see how 5/16 versus 7/16 makes any difference here.  2 inches of surface is plenty for the clamp.  Getting the header into the Dyna isn't the problem.    See pictures below.

Arthur wrote on 03/16/10 at 18:15:53:
The finished assembly angles in towards the back of the bike, as I have shown in pictures.  The angle is not that bad, nor is it 7-10 degrees off.

This is where the problem lies, and I think it's a difference in the manufacturing of the header pipe.   On my bike, it's more than 10 degrees.  In fact, if I allow the muffler the follow the natural angle of the header pipe, THE FAR END OF THE MUFFLER IS BANGING AGAINST THE REAR WHEEL HUB.   The rear end of the muffler needs to be bent out to the right about 4 INCHES before it will line up with the support bracket, and this puts stress on the exhaust pipe and the flange/studs.  (Not to mention the fact that you can only get 1 bolt into the support bracket.)  

This muffler WILL NOT fit properly or safely on MY bike, and I can easily see why it doesn't work for some other people too.  

Now, I've already found a solution to my problem so I no longer have much interest in this.   But for the sake of all the future newbies who might stumble into this mess like I did, please start attaching some disclaimers to the whole "bolt on a Dyna muffler" mantra.  It doesn't "just work" for everybody.

Joe

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #50 - 03/17/10 at 02:15:50

siriusjoe wrote on 03/16/10 at 08:16:05:
John_D FSO wrote on 03/15/10 at 23:47:41:
I put had a piece made to bridge the gap, to take care of the angle, and the different diameters.

Thanks for the photos John.  I think your solution makes the most sense.  Did you have trouble getting that adapter made, and how much did it cost?  

Joe

You're welcome.  No problems getting it made, once I went to a small "Mom-n-Pop" place.  Mine cost more though, a wopping $12. Grin
I think the problem you're still having with spacing is due to the difference in the bracket on the muffler.  Mine was a generic muff without the slide style bracket.  I have one bolt in the rear of the bike bracket into the front muff tab, which is farther forward than the slide type seems to go:

You could probably still make your setup work, just get a piece of strap iron, bolt it to the bracket on the bike to extend it back, then drill a hole or two to bolt the muffler onto.  Has anyone else done something like that, and did it work? Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 03/17/10 at 11:52:27

Here is how mine fits in relation to the rear wheel.  It is close to the brake cable but doesn't rub it.  The Savage header pipe is 5/16" from the mouth of the Dyna.  Everything bolted up.  

These Dyna's cost close to $30.00 off Ebay and less from Harley shops that remove them.  They sound good, and can be made to sound louder. Myself I think its worth the try to see if it can be fitted to a Savage, in light of how easy it has been for so many owners.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #52 - 03/17/10 at 12:10:00

John_D FSO wrote on 03/17/10 at 02:15:50:
I think the problem you're still having with spacing is due to the difference in the bracket on the muffler.

Yes, the mounting rail on the Dyna is toward the rear.  It would be better if it was nearer the front, or if the muffler was a bit shorter overall.   Maybe the Sportster muffler is a better choice, I don't know.  

John_D FSO wrote on 03/17/10 at 02:15:50:
You could probably still make your setup work

Yes, I think I could, but the idea of bolting on even more stuff to make the bracket fit was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Like Routy said earlier, either the part fits or it doesn't.   This one doesn't, so I bought one that does.  I'll be happy to report on how that installation goes, if anyone's interested.

Joe

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #53 - 03/17/10 at 13:03:08

siriusjoe wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:10:00:
I'll be happy to report on how that installation goes, if anyone's interested.

I will be curious to see how well the Jardine bolts on, and promise not to laugh if it also requires a little "encouragement."

Ok so you got an 05 model.. any signs that the bike was tipped over on the right side?  Because if the previous owner dropped it and tweaked the rear mount, that would explain why the rear of the dyna muffler was too far left for it to go on.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #54 - 03/17/10 at 14:46:38

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/10 at 13:03:08:
Ok so you got an 05 model.. any signs that the bike was tipped over on the right side?

It's an '06.  No signs of damage anywhere on the bike.  I checked every inch of it before I bought it.    My wife and son both ride this bike, so I'm very cautious about safety issues.  

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/10 at 13:03:08:
Because if the previous owner dropped it and tweaked the rear mount, that would explain why the rear of the dyna muffler was too far left for it to go on.

Rear mount seems to be in the right place, judging by pictures other people have posted.  Doesn't appear bent or twisted.  

I'll let you know what happens with the Jardine.

Joe

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #55 - 03/17/10 at 17:18:51

I'll bet money that Jardine is not straight and it will have a kink to get the muffler out from the bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #56 - 03/17/10 at 17:52:32

bill67 wrote on 03/17/10 at 17:18:51:
I'll bet money that Jardine is not straight and it will have a kink to get the muffler out from the bike.

You mean like this?

Clever, those engineers at Jardine.  They even managed to get the mounting tabs to line up with the frame bracket.  Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #57 - 03/17/10 at 19:28:43

Yes thats what I meant.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #58 - 03/17/10 at 20:00:01

Hey Joe,...now we're talking ! Thats beautiful !

Now, just to keep whippin this dam horse,...w/ a kink likes in that picture, I really don't see how anyone can take a straight muffler like the Dana, and tell us it fits correctly ! Well, wait a minute, maybe no one said it fits "correctly".
At any rate, when I look down along side my bike, I see a kink of enough degrees that I would never attempt to install a "straight" muffler, no matter how many people say it fits ! I guess it could all be in the definition of "it fits" Roll Eyes

Rich
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #59 - 03/18/10 at 06:45:20

its does fit perfect     just like the raptor petcock which I blindly bought off ebay, on recomendation.  just fitted that as well

is there like a library list of age/part numbers that will defiantly fit for these pipes Undecided

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to Forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.