Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
New to Forum (Read 1588 times)
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Re: New to Forum
Reply #30 - 03/15/10 at 17:13:29

Thanks again Gort.  I wish I had been able to find this kind of detailed information before I started this project.  It's now clear to me that this isn't the 20 minute slip-on job I thought it would be.

I think I'm going to cut my losses and just go with the Jardine instead.  If I order it tonight, I can probably have it delivered and installed before the weekend.  These Dyna mufflers will be back on Ebay soon, if anyone wants them.

Thanks,
Joe

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/15/10 at 17:32:31

SJ!  Don't give up so easily!  You are almost there.  Its really not a hard adaptation.  Just take patience.  Think of the money you will save by using what you already paid for.  You already got the Dyna, why not finish trying?  

Or buy one of those tailpipe expander tools and open up the mouth of the Dyna.  That should allow it to slip right on the header pipe.  $13.00 at Harbor Freight and Tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37353&xcamp=...

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #32 - 03/15/10 at 19:19:04

Arthur wrote on 03/15/10 at 17:32:31:
You already got the Dyna, why not finish trying?  

I don't think it's going to work unless I remove the entire exhaust pipe like you did.  I'll think about that for a while, but I've already put more time into this than it's worth.  If I had gone with the Jardine in the beginning, I'd be out riding right now.  Wink

Thanks again for all your help.  I'm sure others have benefitted from it too.

Joe

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/15/10 at 20:05:09

Its easy to remove the pipe, and I didn't even replace the gasket and it didn't leak. If you buy the tailpipe expander, you wouldn't have to remove the pipe.  It should slide right on.  If you don't use the expander and remove the header pipe first, you won't have to worry about nonsense like "breaking studs out of the head, or worse" as was earlier posted.  Mine has been on for 2 years without a single problem, because none of the studs have any increase in stress or different vectors of stress on them as a result of the Dyna install.

« Last Edit: 03/15/10 at 22:34:02 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #34 - 03/15/10 at 23:47:41

I agree, it's a piece of cake to remove the header; I did it, and I've never worked on a bike before.  I put had a piece made to bridge the gap, to take care of the angle, and the different diameters.  Just take in the header and muffler so they can spread/shrink each end to the right dia.  Mine's about 7" or 8" long (get it long, you can always trim it down) with a couple degrees angle.  Fit like a charm, and my muffler didn't even have the rail type bracket.  Matches the lines of the bike pretty decent too.

Then just slap on a generic shield to cover 'er all up! Wink

Oh, and I used the aforementioned muffler goop to help seal everything up.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Reply #35 - 03/16/10 at 05:49:10

You can go to any ACE or type hardware store and buy a small peice of brass and put it over the header to make up any differance. then make a bracket or use the stock bracket to make a new one. It does take a little intution but it is well worth it in the end I did it in 2 hrs last week end. start to finish.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #36 - 03/16/10 at 08:16:05

John_D FSO wrote on 03/15/10 at 23:47:41:
I put had a piece made to bridge the gap, to take care of the angle, and the different diameters.

Thanks for the photos John.  I think your solution makes the most sense.  Did you have trouble getting that adapter made, and how much did it cost?  

Joe

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 03/16/10 at 09:03:50

Here in Wisconsin you can buy a 1 1/2 in pipe with a bend like that at Auto Zone for less than $10.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #38 - 03/16/10 at 10:00:35

When I put on the Dyna there an alignment issue similar to what SJ has pointed out.  Two things remedied this:

1. Shim the forward heat shield's lower mount with washers and replace the asbestos pads with thinner pads.  I JB welded some copper sheet to the inside of the shield so the header would not chafe on hard metal.  Moving the forward shield a little and removing the pads allows you to rotate the header outward slightly without tweaking the header collar bolts.

2. Add washers to the rear mount (more on the front bolt, probably) so that the muffler points straight at the end of the header once the header is in position.

Almost done.  Cut two extra relief slots in the Dyna's collar so there is one every 90 degrees.  Use some thinner copper sheet to shim out your header to the inside diameter of the HD muffler. I tried beer can aluminum but it was too flimsy.. the copper was a half millimeter or so.  Once your header is shimmed, put that big ole HD clamp on there and.. after all that.. it bolts right up!   Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #39 - 03/16/10 at 12:33:55

Well, I finally came up with a solution that works!

I took the day off work today and headed out in search of a friendly muffler shop.   The first one refused to help me, said they couldn't work on bikes.   The second one said they'd take a look at it if I brought the bike to them, but they couldn't promise anything.   The third one tried to be helpful, but they only spoke spanish and didn't understand what I wanted even though I showed them a picture of the header pipe and brought both mufflers into the shop to show them.  I walked out with this, free of charge:

The last place I stopped, I had better luck.  They understood the problem, and charged me $5 for this:

He left the ends long so I could cut them however I wanted.  But there's still one problem with this - Even if I cut it as short as possible, the mounting rail doesn't come close to the bracket.  See here:

So, how did finally solve the problem, you ask?

I gave up, called Dennis Kirk, and ordered the Jardine slip-on. They're shipping it out this afternoon and it will be on my doorstep when I get home from work Thursday night.  I'll have it installed before I go to bed, and I'll be riding the bike to work on Friday if the weather holds up.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and advice, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Joe

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #40 - 03/16/10 at 12:48:34

PS - This thread should be moved to the Technical Documents section.  Even though I failed at this mod, there's lots of info here from people who managed to make it work.    I wasn't able to find any of this information before I started this project, so I'm sure it would be helpful to those who come along later.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #41 - 03/16/10 at 13:53:38

Routy wrote on 03/15/10 at 08:02:58:
Right on,
So why do some report that they slide right on ?
And if the adapter has to be made, ain't that moving the muffler back,....causing other mounting problems ? Angry

No one ever answered that when I asked it here.

I'm w/ Joe on this one ! He didn't say it, but.............

Its quite clear to me that every one of these Dana installs is jury rigged from the git go. If thats what some call a good installation, so be it, but I never could live like that, and won't !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 03/16/10 at 14:36:15

No one answered it because no one ever reported that it slid or slipped right on.  Has someone had this experience?

« Last Edit: 03/16/10 at 15:42:17 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #43 - 03/16/10 at 15:30:15

i don't get it my dyna fitted perfect no washers, pipes or anything

part number 65388-95

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 03/16/10 at 15:41:10

So did mine. If you open the mouth of the Dyna pipe with a tailpipe expander tool, it will slide right in.  I didn't, and had to tap my Dyna gently to get it to fit within 5/16" of the shoulder on the Savage header pipe.  Other than that, it was an easy, permanent install.  Did yours slide right on the header without effort?  How far was the shoulder of the Savage pipe from the mouth of the Dyna pipe, when it stopped?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to Forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.