Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: New to Forum
Reply #15 - 03/15/10 at 08:02:58

Right on,
So why do some report that they slide right on ?
And if the adapter has to be made, ain't that moving the muffler back,....causing other mounting problems ?

I ain't ready for that. I'm kinda finiky too, if I have to "jury rig it, (am I allowed to say that ?) I ain't doin it ! Angry

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 03/15/10 at 08:21:55

I think the difference is in the changes that H/D made over the years.  So depending on what year Dyna it came off of, depends on how it fits on a Savage/S40.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 03/15/10 at 08:25:08

Babyhog does your muffler leak.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 03/15/10 at 08:26:53

bill67 wrote on 03/15/10 at 08:25:08:
Babyhog does your muffler leak.

yes, I started a thread a few days ago about my leak.  I do still have a small one, at one of the connections.  Need to cut some more slits in the connector, I think.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/15/10 at 08:28:21

I bought a Dyna for my '96 and it required no alterations, welding or adapters.  It bolted directly onto my Savage bracket.  The Savage heat shield bolted directly over the Dyna.  Nothing is out of line or crooked.  I used cut up aluminum can to use as shim stock and wrapped it around the header pipe where it fits into the mouth of the Dyna.  The shoulder on the header pipe does not butt up against the mouth of the Dyna.  There is a gap of 5/16" between the mouth and the shoulder.  I used the Harley clamp that came with the Dyna.

The problem with the Dyna is that it appears to come in more than one configuration.  The Harley numbers on the side of mine are:
64941-01.

This Dyna has been on my bike for 2 years, and I've had no problems with leakage or it coming loose.  It took about 30 minutes for me to install it, and it was an easy install.  The difference between the way the Dyna in the picture posted by Siriusjoe fits, and mine, is that the shoulder in mine is only 5/16" from the mouth of the Dyna sleeve, and the Savage pipe fits straight into the Dyna, not crooked.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 03/15/10 at 08:30:04

whoopy goldberg says she has a leak problem and that a lot of women do. Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #21 - 03/15/10 at 09:48:58

Arthur wrote on 03/15/10 at 08:28:21:
I bought a Dyna for my '96 and it required no alterations, welding or adapters.  It bolted directly onto my Savage bracket.  The Savage heat shield bolted directly over the Dyna.  Nothing is out of line or crooked.

I don't see how that's possible.   Did your stock muffler have this angle on it?

I used cut up aluminum can to use as shim stock and wrapped it around the header pipe where it fits into the mouth of the Dyna.

Did your stock header have this sleeve already on it?  My '06 does, and it's not removeable.   It's 1.72 O.D.

The problem with the Dyna is that it appears to come in more than one configuration.  The Harley numbers on the side of mine are:
64941-01.

That's the same muffler I have.

There must be something about the later model S40's that's different from the old Savage.

Joe

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 03/15/10 at 10:26:35

I've done four Dyna/Sporty installs and one Supertrap...

Rail mount Dyna/Sporty is as easy as a Supertrap... if you get a tab mount, it takes a little drillin' and tweakin'...

I do cut extra slots in the end of the muffler to allow the clamp to compress further, and use  a strip of tin can as a shim spacer,... use a good, fat clamp...
There is a very slight out-kick at the muffler/pipe joint, but the extra cuts allow the clamp to make a good seal...

If the brake cable touches the muffler, you can lightly tap the cable guide with a rubber mallet to get clearance.... or just let it touch,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/15/10 at 12:11:08

siriusjoe wrote on 03/15/10 at 09:48:58:
I bought a Dyna for my '96 and it required no alterations, welding or adapters.  It bolted directly onto my Savage bracket.  The Savage heat shield bolted directly over the Dyna.  Nothing is out of line or crooked.

I don't see how that's possible.   Did your stock muffler have this angle on it?

http://home.comcast.net/~siriusjoe2/stock_bend.jpg

I used cut up aluminum can to use as shim stock and wrapped it around the header pipe where it fits into the mouth of the Dyna.

Did your stock header have this sleeve already on it?  My '06 does, and it's not removeable.   It's 1.72 O.D.

http://home.comcast.net/~siriusjoe2/sleeve.jpg

64941-01.

There must be something about the later model S40's that's different from the old Savage.

Joe

Yes, to both of your questions.  Here are 2 pics so you can see how the installed Dyna slightly angles back in towards the frame, at the rear of the bike:

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 03/15/10 at 12:32:38

siriusjoe wrote on 03/15/10 at 09:48:58:

http://home.comcast.net/~siriusjoe2/stock_bend.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~siriusjoe2/sleeve.jpg

64941-01.

Joe

No the newer ones have the same angle you have,Mines 2006 and the muffler is angled like yours.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #25 - 03/15/10 at 13:14:33

Arthur wrote on 03/15/10 at 12:11:08:
Here are 2 pics so you can see how the installed Dyna slightly angles back in towards the frame, at the rear of the bike:

Thanks for the photos Gort.  The only way I can get this thing on is to force the end of the header way over to the right.  I have to put so much pressure on it that I'm afraid of breaking the studs out of the cylinder head.   When I do this, the muffler goes on and it looks like this.  Does this look about right to you?  Should I be worried about putting so much stress on the header pipe?

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #26 - 03/15/10 at 13:24:42

For those of you who have not done this mod but are following the saga nonetheless, here is a picture that clearly illustrates the problem. Note the red lines I've drawn on the photo.  The header pipe and the rear bracket aren't anywhere near in line with each other.  This is why the stock muffler has that angled piece where it attches to the header.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/15/10 at 15:37:07

SJ you are close but not quite there yet.  I ran into the same problem of the header pipe being a tight fit.  I got to where you are, and seeing the problem, made sure the muffler bracket was lined up with the Savage bracket, and then used a Magic Marker to make locater marks on the mouth of the Dyna muffler in relation to the the Savage pipe.  I then removed the Header pipe from the Savage, and placed both it and the muffler on the work bench.  Carefully bracing the header pipe from moving or bending, I re-aligned the muffler in relation to the pipe, using my locater marks.  Then, using a piece of 2X4 behind the muffer's rear exhaust outlet, I hit the 2X4 with a hammer, driving the muffler onto the header pipe ( using Pepsi can aluminum as a shim around the header pipe.).  I kept checking the alignment of my marks, and watched to be sure that the muffler inlet went over the header pipe in a straight manner.  I was able to tap the muffler onto the header pipe until the header pipe shoulder was within 5/16" of the muffler mouth.  I then clamped it tight with the Harley clamp that came with the Dyna.  Then I very loosely bolted the assembly back onto the bike, first to the Savage bracket.  I then bolted the header pipe back to the engine firmly.  I then tightened the muffler to the Savage bracket, and then put on the heat shield.  

It may be that part of the reason some members need to use spacers between the Savage frame bracket and the Dyna; or tweak one of brackets; is because of minor variances in the bracket locations from one frame to the next.  Remember, this bike frame is no precision item.  You're not dealing with a wristwatch here.  There may well be minor variations from one frame to another, in any low end assembly line product, like this one.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #28 - 03/15/10 at 15:43:11

I don't know what year sportster pipr i have but it went right on with no problem but I had to drill 1 hole in the bracket. Took me about a half hour but i'm mechanically challenged.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 03/15/10 at 17:09:49

Well I know what I would do w/o question, I'd grab the cutting wheel, cut 2/3 thru whichever side of the pipe had to close up to line up, relieving any risistence, then grab the mig and weld it up. I would never be forcing,....knocking it on w/ a hammer etc etc ! You will just be asking for trouble somewhere down the line, all the while hoping the studs don't break out of the head, or worse.
And I'm not mechanically challenged either, been down too many of these roads before.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to Forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.