Send Topic Print
Backrest (Read 184 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Backrest
03/11/10 at 08:07:46

Is it hard to put on a backrest ? I have a 2005 s40 . Is there a link that explains whats involved ? Thanks

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Backrest
Reply #1 - 03/11/10 at 13:45:48

the side/fender rails need to be changed out to accept the oem back rest...
bike needs to be up on a stand so the back wheel hangs to the botttom of the shocks,if your hands are too big uncouple the shocks to access the bolts inside the fender..
did this mod on my 06 and was able to sell the side rails...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 03/11/10 at 14:22:12

what about the taillights?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 03/11/10 at 14:29:38

The taillights shouldn't be a issue. The backrest I put on bolts on under the side rails. I had no trouble getting the bolts off and back on with the bike just on the side stand. It is a tight fit, but doable.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 03/11/10 at 14:36:42

Thanks for the info .I just bought a backrest from a 2006 s40. My bike is a 2005s40 . Will there be any problem with it fitting properly? Thanks. Also what hardware do you need for a backrest . This backrest is missing the hardware.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 03/12/10 at 05:20:45

What kind of backrest did you buy?  The '06 shouldn't have had one stock, unless they had switched out the side rails with a pre-05 model.  I have an aftermarket backrest that bolts onto the siderails.  I use it as a driver's backrest, but it could be bolted on anywhere, I guess.  Someone figured out the brand of mine once, but I can't remember.  I'd have to find that old post.

here's the bracket that it slips into -- easy on, easy off.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 03/12/10 at 06:35:19

That looks pretty good babyhog .My deal might fall through ,because of shipping cost . If you could find out what brand that is .Thanks.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 03/12/10 at 06:41:48

I found it.  Its Protac.  It was already on my bike when I got it, so I don't have a clue how much they are.  Looks like they make it as a Driver's backrest...  Ebay might have some

http://www.protac.net/index.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 03/12/10 at 15:58:48

Babyhog ,Thanks for finding the backrest ,but I really want a passenger backrest ,and it looks like this one is meant just for the driver .I'm going to email the company about it .Thanks anyway.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 03/15/10 at 05:38:23

I'd be interested in what they have to say about using it as a passenger backrest.  After I changed my seat, I don't think it looks as good on my bike now, and I might move it back to the passenger area.  Let me know what they say, if you don't mind.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 03/15/10 at 07:01:27

They told me it was only a drivers backrest . By the way ,I did end up buying a backrest from someone on this website and it's being shipped to me this week .Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #11 - 03/15/10 at 07:43:14

babyhog wrote on 03/15/10 at 05:38:23:
After I changed my seat, I don't think it looks as good on my bike now, and I might move it back to the passenger area.  

Babyhog,

If you do take this off your bike I'd like to know what you would take for it? After two back operations I ride with my bag on the back seat for lower back support, but this looks so much better for that.

Thanks,
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 03/15/10 at 08:25:36

Bigzuk wrote on 03/15/10 at 07:43:14:
babyhog wrote on 03/15/10 at 05:38:23:
After I changed my seat, I don't think it looks as good on my bike now, and I might move it back to the passenger area.  

Babyhog,

If you do take this off your bike I'd like to know what you would take for it? After two back operations I ride with my bag on the back seat for lower back support, but this looks so much better for that.

Thanks,
Bigzuk

Bigzuk, I need to ride with and without some, but you will be the first to know if I decide to give it up.  I'm doubting that I'd get rid of it completely, though, because I never carry a passenger, but it would be nice to have on the back, just to strap bags to on overnights.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backrest

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.