Send Topic Print
windshields? (Read 358 times)
smitty1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

windshields?
03/11/10 at 07:21:33

Have a 2007 S40 that came with a Suzuki windshield. It does nothing to cut the wind. Any one put any thing else on , also have a friend with a 2005 S40 who wants to put a windshield on, but she's 6' tall. What would be a good one for her?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: windshields?
Reply #1 - 03/11/10 at 07:30:58

Yep, I have a national flyshield.

WWW   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #2 - 03/11/10 at 07:34:16

Have you tried adjusting the position of the windshield?  A small adjustment made a big difference on mine.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 03/11/10 at 07:37:21

I have a SlipStreamer Spitfire and it seems to do pretty well at deflecting the wind.  It was easy to install.  I had changed my '06 model from the drag bars to buckhorn style bars, but the mounting system is pretty versatile.  I'm not sure about a 6' person, I'm only 5'2.    

You can also check their application chart for all the ones that will fit, and maybe find a style you will like.  Good luck.

http://slipstreamer.com/

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/11/10 at 13:52:48

i wasnt able to change the oem fly screen with any handle bar mounted screen cause of the speakers and tach and oil temp gauge takin up too much handle bar. went with a falcon ss-32(slip streamer) fairing last year
MUCH better protection, the cost is wind reststance a good square yard of plexi out there decressed my highway peformance..
can do 80 wot but shes workin harder than b4...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
UKsavageman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

London, England
Reply #5 - 03/11/10 at 13:57:10

the last Savage I owned had a spitfire shield attached. I ended up removing it as it proved noisy as the deflected air kept being angled towards my face no matter how I adjusted it. The lack of air on my chest didn't make up for the irritation of air in my face.

I'm spot on 6' by the way, so a slightly taller person may not find the delection quite as irritating.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 03/11/10 at 14:25:13

I have a Road Chrome windshield. It cost $100. Its not a large windshield but it cuts the wind quite well. If the top of the windshield is even with the bridge of my nose, it deflects the wind up and over my head with has next to to no buffetting.  If you friend sits on your bike, you could see if the windshield would adjust up to her height.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 03/11/10 at 15:03:48

I have a Memphis Fats 21" and I really like it. At first I only had it on in the cold weather but then decided that I like it all the time.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/11/10 at 15:41:45

I have a Rifle windshield that looks like Als Its 24 wide and a couple inches lower than his,I have always had a big windshield and wouldn't ride without one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 03/11/10 at 19:49:34

I have a National Cycle Flyscreen -- 9" high, 9.75" wide.  Takes enough wind off the body so you are not fighting to stay on at 70 mph.

I have a National Cycle Street Shield -- 17" high, 16.5" wide.  For my 5'8" (5'9" in my boots!) I had it adjusted to keep the wind from my face, but not my scalp.  Wind in the hair, or what's left of it.

For a 6'0" person you would probably want a 20" to 22" tall screen.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/11/10 at 20:19:55

National Flyscreen

Two ways to reduce the wind noise and buffeting.
Go big or go small.

Off of the top of the windshield is a blast of air.
It's rather thin, so go small and it will go under the helmet.
Great in the summer

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #11 - 03/12/10 at 06:50:31

I just put  a Plexistar II on mine yesterday afternoon.  It went on easy enough, about 15-20 min to mount, but I think I am going to need to either raise it or change the angle.  Right now it does a great job of keeping the wind off my chest, but it now it seems like there is "wind hammer" banging on my forehead, just below my helmet.  That's the results from the first day of riding, I'll try some adjustments this weekend and let you know how it comes out.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 03/12/10 at 07:32:06

Adjustment is real important - a windshield can make the air buffet to the head much wrose if it's not adjusted to send the air stream above it - at speed you can put your hand at the top of the windshield and follow the air flow back and get a pretty good feel for it - you can raise the windshield or just tilt it forward a little to make pretty big changes.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 03/12/10 at 07:59:22

I blew it,.....got this same one, looks cool, and good in nice weather, but I'm 6' and it sets 5" above the headlight,.....too much turbulent air in colder weather. I'll replace it next winter.  

babyhog wrote on 03/11/10 at 07:37:21:
I have a SlipStreamer Spitfire and it seems to do pretty well at deflecting the wind.  It was easy to install.  I had changed my '06 model from the drag bars to buckhorn style bars, but the mounting system is pretty versatile.  I'm not sure about a 6' person, I'm only 5'2.    

http://slipstreamer.com/assets/images/S-06-450.jpg

You can also check their application chart for all the ones that will fit, and maybe find a style you will like.  Good luck.

http://slipstreamer.com/

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/12/10 at 15:38:21

I have a generic spitfire style shield that came with the bike. Not sure what size. Im 6'2" and had to raise it a couple inches higher and tilt it a couple inches back from where it was to keep the wind from hammering me in the face. Before adjustment it did very well keeping the wind off of my torso but my eyes would stream tears to keep from drying out. After the slight adjustment it's all gravy. No torso pressure, no crying eyes. Ineclipse has one like ALfromNH's and Ive ridden his bike. Its a nice windshield but Ineclipse is a bit shorter than I so adjustments would be merited. Either one would be your best bet IMO. Generics for both can be found new on ebay for $60-$120. Adjustment is the key.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:26:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › windshields?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.