Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Metallic Rubbing noise @ RPM's Just above idle (Read 280 times)
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Metallic Rubbing noise @ RPM's Just above idle
03/10/10 at 05:31:50

Last night I was riding to and from school and i noticed a metallic rubbing noise while at RPM range just above idle. Happens while taking off, and while cycling through gears. Seems to get louder while bike is tilted to the left (while idling).

Any ideas?

Checked oil levels and they appear good.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Pip Jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Metallic Rubbing noise @ RPM's Just above idle
Reply #1 - 03/10/10 at 05:51:19

Have you fixed your speedo rattle yet?   All Savages have one until they are fixed.

Put your hand on the speedo housing (push on it lightly) while your noise is going on and see if it changes ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #2 - 03/10/10 at 05:57:04

I have not fixed/noticed a speedo rattle, but I hear it very loudly with my head next to the crank case, its too loud to be a rattle (in my opinion).  
I've had the speedo off the tank and have reinstalled it. Don't know if i've ever had a speedo rattle

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/10/10 at 06:20:11

but I hear it very loudly with my head next to the crank case,

Which side? How many miles on it? If its on the right side, I wouldnt start it again till I looked at the tensioner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #4 - 03/10/10 at 06:34:54

Its on the right side, I was hoping you guys weren't gonna say that. But if thats what it is then cool.

where can i find the tenisoner doc?

14500 miles.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 03/10/10 at 06:48:26

Pip, the tensioner is much more intimidating than it needs to be.  I just did it, got the verslavy thing from the marketplace and a gasket from bikebandit.  It is really not a hard thing to do, a few hours.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #6 - 03/10/10 at 06:57:25

I'm not intimidated by the repair, i've pulled the motor out of my bike once or twice, i fix cars for a living, I just didn't want to have to do a repair on it this early in the season (i guess early is better than right in the middle tho)

What are the parts that I'm going to need to do this please.

thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/10/10 at 07:10:07

I wouldn't start it again till you had the clutch cover off or you could be in for a much bigger repair.

14500 is a little early, but I've heard early as 8000.  and if it's grinding most likely the plunger come out.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 03/10/10 at 07:31:13

PipJones wrote on 03/10/10 at 06:57:25:
What are the parts that I'm going to need to do this please.

I got the tensioner from verslagen and a clutch cover gasket from bike bandit, that was all I needed.

I didn't know about your mechanical ability, just saying it is not tough!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 03/10/10 at 07:32:34

I use the GRAY form-a-gasket , I've never had a leak and doin't buy gaskets no more.

Just let it half way dry befor putting the pieces together, tork up lightly (1/8 -1/4 lb.)  the first time, 10 to 12 hours later finish tighting to specks .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/10/10 at 09:10:40

I failed to hold the loop up the clutch cable goes to when I went back together. I boogered it up to solve that. Seems someone told me how I coulda solved it simply & I did a Palm/Forehead moment. Anyway, watch that, going together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 03/10/10 at 16:21:13

do you hear when sitting still or just when rolling?  
just read your post again - i guess it's when sitting still since your head's next to the crankcase  Cheesy

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #12 - 03/11/10 at 05:22:30

I hear it on both. As I'm sitting, and when I'm cycling through the gears. Even on the highway in 5th, when I'm at a certain RPM range (bout 63-67mph) I can hear it BARELY over the windnoise. The noise is so distinctive I can hear it over the windnoise.

Any more ideas/advice?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/11/10 at 08:17:10

Aside from not starting it till you get a visual on that cam chain? I guess I can think of a couple things. Remember to soak your new chain in oil& blow the spark plug hole clear of sand & crap before pulling it. Id run a magnet thru the oil that drains out & see what kind of crap comes out. Dissect the filter if you see much in the oil, why? IDK, I just like to do that sometimes.
Keeping the bolts in the right place is a good idea, since some have a rubber capped washer to seal oil passages. A piece of cardboard w/ a drawing of the case shape & a slot to hold the bolts will do it for you easily. Lots of people use a penny between gears to lock the engine so the clutch can be pulled, I used folded leather. The book says NO to impacts in places I used it. Sure made things easier. I just used it to run the clutch up so the stuff wouldnt spin, then I torqued it to the correct setting.If you have plans for making more power, now is a great time for a different cam.

IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #14 - 03/11/10 at 08:48:17

Yeah, I had thought about the new cam and carb, but i'm just trying to get this thing safe to scoot around on until i can afford something bigger.
I know, I know, bigger isn't always better.... but i'd like to be able to do at least 120 on my next bike.

While replacing the timing chain tensioner, do you have to lock the cam or crank in place? or can you remove the timing chain tensioner without worrying about it jumping time?

If you have to keep tension on the chain..... vice grips to keep tension on it???? any ideas?

~Pip Jones

« Last Edit: 03/11/10 at 10:32:19 by PipJones »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:29:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metallic Rubbing noise @ RPM's Just above idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.