Send Topic Print
Dropped bike (Oy...) (Read 214 times)
xlyzx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dropped bike (Oy...)
03/09/10 at 09:20:43

So after not getting a lot of sleep last night, this morning I groggily took my bike out of the garage, put the kickstand back all the way down (so I thought) and went to go punch in the code to close the garage door. As soon as my back is turned CRASH, I look over and the bike has toppled to the curb. * cry *

On inspection, it looks like the brunt of the impact was in one spot on the casing on the left side where there is now a small dent (basically, since it was right next to the curb, the whole thing didn't hit the ground, just the lower half hit at an angle on the curb). Sad, but no big deal.  The mirrors got jostled and I had to take a wrench to re-tighten them.  I checked all lines, engine, etc to make sure that nothing looked out of place, bent etc and couldn't find anything.

Then I got on and pulled back the clutch to get her started and I noticed the clutch felt like it was noticeably lower down than it used to be (so instead of pulling it directly back to the handle, I had to pull it a little down at an angle to the bottom 1/3rd of the handle).  I didn't think that it had hit the ground, but I didn't actually look closely in my panic to get the bike back to standing mode. I tried to see whether the whole clutch/mirror setting was lined up incorrectly on the handlebars, but the clasp on the handlebar seems to be lined up with the little notch so I assume it's in the right place.  That being said, I'm a little nervous that maybe just the lever is out of alignment.  

I bought this bike in August and learned to ride with a boyfriend who is no longer in the picture. My goal is to do some heavy reading over the next few months of various motorcycle repair guides, but in the meantime, I don't want to mess anything up.  Is there some way to adjust the angle of the clutch on my own (and does it sound like something got jostled or like something might be bent)? I could probably look it up but any wise words are much appreciated.

Also, anything else in particular I should check with a dropped bike? My check was a little superficial and I don't want to miss something potentially important that could have happened more internally.  As far as I could tell though, it was running just fine.

I may try to snap a picture of it when I go out on my lunch break, in which case I will upload and link.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: Dropped bike (Oy...)
Reply #1 - 03/09/10 at 09:45:11

Sounds like the lever may be bent.

The lever should follow the line of the housing like this, and remain level until the end of the lever..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/09/10 at 10:16:53

As noted the lever should look like that.
There shouldn't be any large gaps on  top or bottom of the lever.
Lever get bent all the time, and they straighten quite well.
wrap it in cloth and bend it with a wrench.

The only thing I would be worried about is the dent.  Is it rubbing on anything?

WWW   IP Logged
xlyzx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/09/10 at 10:51:25

Ok took some pics (not great quality)

You can see that when I pull it down it goes a bit low

But the setting is lined up w/notch

It does seem like the clutch lever isn't set flush with the setting (Is it supposed to be?)

Sorry about sun but bottom angle if useful

Here's where it gets interesting... to me, it looks like it's bent just from the halfway point.  So the big question is, if I'm trying to wrench it back into place, do I go from the halfway point or do I go all the way from the setting?

THANK YOU for all the advice!!!

Re: the dent, it is definitely superficial, and as I'm looking more closely at it, it's possible it wasn't even from this incident given the angle.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 03/09/10 at 10:58:35

As long as the clutch works correctly I wouldn't try to straighten the lever. My experience may be atypical, but it seems to me you get one "bend" out of a lever. The next one - the "straightening" one - may break the lever. Those levers tend to be made of cast aluminum.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/09/10 at 11:31:47

I straightened one that was bent forward like a hook.

I'd straighten it as it's not much.

But take note, you might have to replace it.

I'd bent it from the half way point.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/09/10 at 11:45:11

Either way,... if you straighten it or not...  Don't be too worried about it.  If you can work the lever in and out, it won't hurt your bike otherwise...
You can buy a new aftermarket lever for less than ten bucks,... if you're nice the salesman might even put it on for you...  It's a two minute job... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/09/10 at 11:51:46

If I was gonna straighten it, Id use a block of soft wood, like white pine. Lay it the length of the lever. Id wrap the hammer w/ a rag & gently tap on the high spot, increasing the power of the strike until it started moving & just work it back close to straight. It might crack, so, be ready to buy new.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/09/10 at 12:10:19

If your going to take it off you might as well put it in a vise.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/09/10 at 12:16:56

I wouldnt take it off until it breaks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 03/09/10 at 12:30:35

If you have a big crescent wrench you can hold the flat part with that and bend it with your hand, have the wrench running parallel with the handle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/09/10 at 12:51:19

I can't stand a bent handle. It'll either straighten or new.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #12 - 03/09/10 at 13:17:13

If its working, leave it. If your not used to using tools you may cause more damage. Let some mechanically minded freind take a look at it and learn from what he/she does.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 03/09/10 at 14:01:11

I think mine's bent very slightly too...doesn't impact shifting so I'm leaving it...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 03/09/10 at 14:24:01

heat it up at the point where you want to bend it back from then grab it with thickly gloved hands and presto, aluminum bends real easy when heated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped bike (Oy...)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.