Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery keeps dying (Read 89 times)
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Battery keeps dying
03/04/10 at 12:01:46

So this is the 2nd time it's happened recently...I went to go ride, and it wouldn't start...rrrr rrrr rrr click click click noises.I trickle charged it, and it indicated fully charged in only 2-3 hours which is faster than usual on a completely dead battery.

I rode for a few days no problem, then today same issue. It's hooked up to the trickle again.

I'm selling the bike ASAP, should I replace the battery? Is that easy to do on the savage?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery keeps dying
Reply #1 - 03/04/10 at 12:06:38

check H2 O levels. If that doesnt cut it, put a good battery in  it, keep the papers & sell it with the battery as a bonus. If I was buying & had a documented new Big Crank in it, Id be much happier knowing I wasnt buying something that I might be replacing a battery on in a week. Id be easier to convince to whip out my checkbook if I saw that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/04/10 at 12:10:26

Is there a standard battery for the Savage that's acknowledged around here as the tried and true?

I called my shop and they don't have one in stock for my bike so I can't get this fixed ASAP, but want to show the bike tomorrow. I'm gonna trickle charge it again but I don't want it dying 2 days after I sell the bike and having the guy be pissed.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/04/10 at 12:26:11

Put some water in it if it needs it and charge with a battery charger not a trickle deal.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 03/04/10 at 14:05:08

I'd charge it to get the bike started to show it. Then I would tell the prospective buyer the battery just went bad, and knock off a suitable amount of money from the price. He'll undoubtedly want to dicker over the price anyway, and that will give him an opening discount. As a buyer, I would be happier knowing there was a new battery in the bike, but I wouldn't pay any more for it. Whenever I buy a used vehicle I always figure it will need some work, on the theory that the seller isn't selling it because it ran too well.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/10 at 14:06:10

I decided not to take any chances and took it immediately to the closest garage/dealer that had a batter in stock and could do the work before I show the bike tomorrow. Thanks guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/04/10 at 14:19:26

Just for giggles, what did they hit you for on the battery/installation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/10 at 14:20:36

Battery was like $89 and installation was $20.00 but they have some sort of deal with zipcar so I got 15% off the installation. Sounds fair, googling the web says around $70-$90 for a new battery and $20 is a bargain for installation for someone like me who can't do it themselves.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 03/04/10 at 14:30:33

Yep, A $20.00 install is pretty allright.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/05/10 at 06:03:38

$90 for a battery for a sale bike? I don't know where I could have got a deal like that. Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery keeps dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.