Send Topic Print
Nubie camchain change? (Read 164 times)
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Nubie camchain change?
02/28/10 at 17:29:55

Hi all, I'm Pete from New Brunswick, Canada.

So I bought a savage last spring(86) and after a little tinkering got it on the road. My first bike and i really love this thing! Am thinking I will keep it for a while.

However, by the time late fall comes around, I start hearing what i took to    be valve ticking. So, out comes the Clymers and I try adjusting the valves. A couple of times. Huh And there is still the ticking, a very chilling ticking. I am SURE i set them properly. So i pack it away for the winter.

Well i joined this site a few days ago and have been reading about the horrid cam chain adjuster Shocked and a light pops in my head. AHA!

So now, is this a job that can be done on the bike or is it better/easier to pull the engine?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Nubie camchain change?
Reply #1 - 02/28/10 at 17:59:55

Well the 1st thing to do is this...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

then this...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192027390

Then you can tell how many miles or km's you got and how much your plunger is extended and we can advise you.

WWW   IP Logged
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Reply #2 - 02/28/10 at 19:52:24

O.K. , thanks man, I guess i've got somewhere to start. Burrrr! Its going to be chilly out in the shed!

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 03/01/10 at 03:38:31

Hey Piker,  you can do it.  I just did the chain and the tensioner and it was not a real big deal.  It did take all day, but I went very slow and checked everything I was doing a couple of times.  Get your computer up so you can check this site if you have any questions.

If you want to come to eastern North Carolina I will even help you, since it is fresh in my mind! Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Reply #4 - 03/01/10 at 09:09:14

Ha, ha! Thanks for the encouragement, love to come down, but i would have to put the tire winter tire chains on Wink. She won't see the road here till at least half way through april. Our riding season is basically May through the end of Sept.(comfortably) :'( Although i hear you guys have had some snow too!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/01/10 at 09:13:48

[quote author=

Well i joined this site a few days ago and have been reading about the horrid cam chain adjuster Shocked and a light pops in my head. AHA!

So now, is this a job that can be done on the bike or is it better/easier to pull the engine? [/quote]

Well, it depends. How much vocabulary do you have with four letter words?  A large quantity of these will help.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Reply #6 - 03/01/10 at 09:17:14

No worrys there i can swear like a sailor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/01/10 at 11:14:13

I think doing it in the frame is easy enough. Ive done it once & wouldnt consider pulling the engine to do it again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 03/01/10 at 16:36:47

I did mine in the frame, no problems.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/01/10 at 17:46:18

Where in NB are you??Did one 2 years ago,got parts from US dealer 40% of what they wanted here.Not a terribly hard job,just have to be carefull.

IP Logged
Piker
YaBB Newbies

Burn baby, burn!

New Bruswick, Canada
Reply #10 - 03/01/10 at 18:55:44

I'm from Fredericton. Yeah, I'll definitely be ordering parts from the states. When i changed the oil and filter last year you would't want to know what they wanted for the filter from the suzuki dealership here. OK, i'll tell you, $27.00 Can. , aprox. 25-26 bucks u.s. Shocked

Never again.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 03/01/10 at 21:37:44

Dude, go to a sports bike shop. Tell them what bike you have and you'll save a bundle on oil filters. there's a few of the little dirt bikes that use the same filters as we do. These are U.S. of A. dollars, but where the Suzi shop wanted $5.00-$7.00 (if I remember correctly) for those little bundles of paper the sport bike shop wants $3.00. That was a couple years ago, so I don't know what the dealer's asking anymore 'cause I stocked up ahead of time.

Their tubes and accessories are cheaper too. Nice soft, cushy hand grips and such. I guess those little bikes shake even more than ours do. Front brake pads were half the price. There are substitutions out there, ya just got to go ask.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nubie camchain change?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.