Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
couple questions. Bike, but not savage, related (Read 93 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

couple questions. Bike, but not savage, related
02/25/10 at 20:58:32

Been talking with Ineclipse. He seems to be set on abandoning the savage way and has his heart set on a honda cb750. Just curious if anyone has ever owned one or more and if they can provide a bit of info. Im curious if the rumors of head trouble on the DOHC versions are true and generally curious what the shining benefits are of the DOHC vs SOHC.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: couple questions. Bike, but not savage, relate
Reply #1 - 02/25/10 at 21:21:16

Dad had a Honda 750 four ,"K" modle.  it was single OHC but it a good bike.
He had a big wind-jammer and still got over 50 mpg, it would run in the 130mph neighborhood.

At the time I had a Yahama 250 twin jet (two cycle, two cylinder), it was fast.

We raced our bikes once, I jumped him bad of the line, but about 70 he was catching up and by 90 he had inched ahead.   Well the little Yahama topped out just about 100 and after that, the Honda 750 was ...........GONE.......

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/25/10 at 21:35:47

I had a 1980 cb 650 sohc 4 cylinder.  I could do valve adjustments myself, simple set screws.  I rode it 23000 miles with no major mechanical problems.  I toured thru 7 states and Canada.  Longest day was from Reno to Ephrata Wa.  709 miles.  Left at 7:40am and was home in time to watch the Late Show.  It got 55 mpg easily and got a couple extra mpg on Premium fuel.
It was top heavy and handling was not forgiving.  The Savage is not as stable at freeway speeds, but more forgiving if you hit a patch of gravel or frost. The Honda was 100% reliable.
I changed the main jets from 90 to 95, changed counter shaft sproket and added one tooth for slightly lower rpm on freeway.  Broke a rear shock hitting a huge pothole, went through 4 rear tires and 3 fronts. Changed headlight to 1981 internals to get the halogen bulb. It was never on its side.  Bought it new for $2050 in 1980 and sold it in 2008 for $1750.  I got my money's worth and more.  It went to the dealer once for the first valve adjust and never went back again.
The best thing is that it was a Christmas present from by wife in 1979, just when they hit the showroom.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/26/10 at 06:33:53

Lots and lots of info on the cb750's out there. They will go down as the best and most important bike Honda has made next to the wing.
Like the VW Bug, you can do any thing with them...and parts are everywhere. I keep hearing about issues with the DOHC, but no one that I know that had one ever reported problems.
Have him check out: http://www.sohc4.net/

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 02/26/10 at 06:57:08

I used to own a CB750 DOHC. It was a very nice ride until my brother wrecked it on his way to work one night. Only had one problem with it. One morning I went out fire it up and the battery was dead, one kick of the kickstarter solved that problem though.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #5 - 02/27/10 at 06:24:41

Bear wrote on 02/25/10 at 21:35:47:
The best thing is that it was a Christmas present from by wife in 1979, just when they hit the showroom.  

My wife gave me a "71 bonneville for christmas years ago. I had to sell it when the kids started coming out. I am going to be needing another one soon.

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › couple questions. Bike, but not savage, related

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.