Rejetting That Works (Read 717 times)
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Rejetting That Works
02/22/10 at 11:49:05

This works for 2008 S40 with 2300 miles at elev 1300 ft.
Rejetting and muffler modification was done to eliminate shotgun blast backfire and reduce the slight cold engine stumble for the first mile with a cold engine.  This was NOT done to increase horsepower.  With these changes, it will be a better ride.  Sparkplug was pulled after 800 miles and it is the perfect color.  Mileage is about 52 mpg riding at 50-60 mph.  Backfire is a slight whooosh at shutdown, not even noticable from 20 feet away.  Lots has been written about rejetting.  I know this works and works well.
Remove stock 145 main jet and replace with 150
Remove stock 52.5 pilot jet and replace with 55 - Do NOT use vented jet with holes in the sides.
Remove original white spacer thickness .112 inch and replace with 2 metal washers totaling .043 inch.
Install Harley Dyna muffler and drill one 3/16 hole in the center of the baffle.  This will vent gasses and reduce backfire.  It will not make the muffler noticable louder.  Do these changes and you will be happy.  It is not necessary to go overboard with rejetting.  A little tweek makes it run nice.  I know this has subject has been beat to death, but hopefully with these notes, you may only have to do the job ONCE.  It has a nice steady pull all the way through the power band. No stumbles or flat spots,  low speed or high speed.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Rejetting That Works
Reply #1 - 02/22/10 at 12:06:37

I have the sames jets you have and no spacer change.Stock muffler with 1/2 inch hole drilled inside the muffler.Mines pulls all the way strong just a shade lean in mid range, it pulls better when it 80 degrees or hotter.My lowest mileage was 58 mpg the only time below 60 mpg normally average 63-64 mpg. I drive about the same speeds you are talking about most of the time. 800 sea level.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 02/22/10 at 18:43:13

Of course those changes make it illegal for street use...

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/23/10 at 02:44:04

?? why is that? These are not huge mods, more finetuning.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 02/23/10 at 03:02:07

Charon wrote on 02/22/10 at 18:43:13:

If I drink 2 beers am illegal for street use Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 02/23/10 at 04:39:37

dasch wrote on 02/23/10 at 02:44:04:
?? why is that? These are not huge mods, more finetuning.

That statement would be true if you are in the US.  The bikes with carburators are tuned so close to the EPA emissions limits.  They have to go so lean to meet them (that is why the need for the tweaks).  Technically once you change them at all you are violating the EPA laws on the bike.  The the jet change, the muffler, anyone of them violated it.  Now is there enough changes out there to kill the earth....that is another debate not for here.

This all came about in 1978-1979 when the EPA tightened up, killed two strokes, and made all 4 strokes run terrible.  Every bike I have had since 1979 has been re-jetted or adjustment screws (hidden behind plugs for a reason) tweaked.

does that help?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 02/23/10 at 05:20:53

In the US, I don't know of any law that is broken by the OWNER adjusting or modifying a carb that is not subjected to smog emission testing for street legal.
Mfgs, dealers, repair shops etc are bound by law to meet emissions standards,......owners are not,.......to a point,....being we do not give reason for a state patrol to cite you for,...excessive smoking, excessive noise, etc etc.
There are laws that prohibit modifying an emmissions system, which as far as I know would not include carb or dist and cam tuning to improve performance.
Of course I could be wrong. But if so, lets see a list of emissions specs that us owners have to abide by.
One day when smog checks are required on motorcycles, then is when the standards will be set for us owners.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 02/23/10 at 06:03:24

From the reading here, it sure seems that even the same yr model bikes do not run the same.
My 07 stocker had only a lean spot in low/midrange, which a 1/2 spacer mod fixed to perfect (as near as I can describe) thru the entire range. I would never touch my jetting for sure. Others in the same yr model range, report needing more jetting, etc etc.

Now what really differs, is how I have to really baby the throttle to get 50 mpg, and thats at seldom over 50 mph ! Except for downhill w/ a tail wind, I don't know how some are getting 60-70 mpg Shocked But you did hear about the 2 old guys that bought 2 new identical cars........ Cheesy

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 02/23/10 at 06:13:33

Thats one reason I didn't change the spacer was to get good mpg and keep the plug from fouling.Your on the low speed jet only at low speeds and high speed jet mostly if your at wide open throttle,the spacer is where you are driving most of the time.The high and low speed jets do help the mid range some.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 02/23/10 at 06:18:39

no pilot screw adjustmaent??
that may get rid of the woosh

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/23/10 at 06:46:27

So in US you they don't give you "a break" if your vehicle is NOT equipped with electronic injection, computerized ignition and O2 sensor?? They treat all vehicles under the same standards?
Strange if that is so. Here legal bracket for COx and NOx is higher for carburatted vehicles. Very strict for others.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 02/23/10 at 07:34:06

Well just for the record, mileage was the same long before the spacer mod, and the plug is still perfect after the mod. Don't worry, I've always had  the mileage thing figured out,....did I mention the 2 old guys that bought,........yeah, I think I did Roll Eyes
bill67 wrote on 02/23/10 at 06:13:33:
Thats one reason I didn't change the spacer was to get good mpg and keep the plug from fouling.Your on the low speed jet only at low speeds and high speed jet mostly if your at wide open throttle,the spacer is where you are driving most of the time.The high and low speed jets do help the mid range some.

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 02/23/10 at 07:41:31

If this is pertaining to my post above, I'm not understanding the point.
I can't find where I said emission specs were the same for all vehicles. I would sure think their not.
dasch wrote on 02/23/10 at 06:46:27:
So in US you they don't give you "a break" if your vehicle is NOT equipped with electronic injection, computerized ignition and O2 sensor?? They treat all vehicles under the same standards?
Strange if that is so. Here legal bracket for COx and NOx is higher for carburatted vehicles. Very strict for others.

Rich
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/23/10 at 08:09:37

Yes routy, pertaining to your post. Here's what you said:
"The bikes with carburators are tuned so close to the EPA emissions limits.  They have to go so lean to meet them (that is why the need for the tweaks).  Technically once you change them at all you are violating the EPA laws on the bike."
That is the part I don't understand, if manufacturers have to jet your carb lean to meet EPA limits - than the bracket is too low, being one for all, or special for carbs. Still low.
Does anybody know for sure if there's a legal "break" for carburatted engines??

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #14 - 02/23/10 at 09:28:37

thumperclone wrote on 02/23/10 at 06:18:39:
no pilot screw adjustmaent??
that may get rid of the woosh

Pilot screw remains sealed.  I did not want to change too many things at once.  The jets, spacer and small hole in baffle were enough to get it running great. If I didn't get the results I wanted, the pilot screw was the next step.  Breaking the seal on the pilot screw is also an obvious clue that someone has been messing with the carb.  Also, I do not need any choke to start and the low speed cold stumble was more noticable when temps are 60 degrees or less.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:20:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejetting That Works

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.