Send Topic Print
turbulator, revisited (Read 375 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

turbulator, revisited
02/25/10 at 14:43:01

Here is a simple way to build a durable, high quality, turbulator that has very low airflow resistance.
The honeycomb cell material is from Saxon Computer and is sold in 5x5 panels of hard plastic. Product description below:
Use these 1/8" cells as a fanless intake for precision control of incoming airflow. Can be used as fanless intake for CPU, video card, hard drive or chipset. Many industrial applications.
Cut to 5 x 5 inches, Larger pieces can be supplied on request.
3/4" thick (6:1 ratio) $6.99
The brass ring is made from 1" X1/32" stock sold at Ace Hardware $2.80.
The ring and the honeycomb are held together with quick-set JB Weld, the only glue-up involved.
The weight appears to be about 1/2 ounce. There is enough honeycomb left over to make at least three more.

With basic hand tools and a plumber's torch you can build this in a couple of hours. Total cost with shipping...$15.00

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: turbulator, revisited
Reply #1 - 02/25/10 at 15:17:11

Let us know how it works out on the bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 02/25/10 at 15:19:56

So, what it is supposed to do? Is it supposed to smooth airflow? Or cause turbulence? And given that it does whichever it is supposed to do, what is the overall effect supposed to be? What before-and-after measurements are you planning to make in order to see if it works?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/25/10 at 16:02:06

Cool stuff JB
Although, I'm not liking the honeycomb, them little stars inbetween the straws will cause some drag.
But it's affordable.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/25/10 at 16:17:08

Don't know if it will work, but... that's a snazzy way to do it!... Wink

and no worry about one straw getting loose and taking a trip... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/25/10 at 17:03:32

I have one in the bike at the moment made from soda straws and pvc.

"So, what it is supposed to do? Is it supposed to smooth airflow? Or cause turbulence? And given that it does whichever it is supposed to do, what is the overall effect supposed to be? What before-and-after measurements are you planning to make in order to see if it works? "

Charon, there are several post over the last year from members.
Basically, it smooths airflow between the intake filter and the carb.
I don't have access to a dyno and I don't have standard jetting or air cleaner; but, seat of the pants tells me that it is stronger and has more torque. Diamond Jim found the same results. This mod has a "cleaner" cross section than the pvc version.

« Last Edit: 02/25/10 at 19:25:44 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/25/10 at 17:30:54

Don't matter if it really works or how much or even why, you feel it.

The turbulator is a misnomer I coined for it.  DJ liked it, that's cool.

The purpose is to smooth and straighten the air flow.  I got the inspiration from the wright brothers wind tunnel, dj looked it up and got the info from nasa to make it right.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 02/25/10 at 21:29:36

Each tube in the honeycomb does wo things.  First, they straighten the air.  Second, they accelerate the air.  The summation of multiple tubes straitening and accellerating the intake air improves carb function  by pulling fuel up through the jets and atomizing the air.  It also improves cylinder filling.  

As far as improvememt goes, my experience is that it takes at least a 10% difference before I feel it.  The turbulator didn't just make a noticeable difference, but rather a significant difference expecially at low to mid range where most of my riding is done on the LS650.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 02/26/10 at 00:37:46

Cool! A "smoothed out" airflow is what's known in aviation and/or ventilation circles as a laminer airflow ...

Am interested to hear how this mod works out!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/26/10 at 02:35:42

A smaller carb will give you more low in power but you will lose on the high end,To me this is like putting on a smaller carb,It also makes it richer because you are taking up air space. A larger cab will give you more high end power,but you lose on the low end.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 02/26/10 at 07:24:21

Bill's comment sort of echoes my thinking. Whether you straighten the airflow or not, you restrict the intake tract at least a little because of the space taken up by the walls of the tubing. That restriction seems exactly analogous to a restricted air filter. The result will be a slight increase in pressure drop, and a slightly reduced pressure in the carburetor. That will cause a slight richening of the mixture because the lower pressure can pull just a little more fuel through the jets.

As soon as the laminar airflow enters the venturi, its turbulence will return. Then it will pass through the butterfly, and more turbulence will be introduced (a good thing, as turbulence helps mix the fuel and air to produce a uniform mixture). It will pass through the intake port and be split to enter the two intake valves. If all goes well, there should be a "swirl" produced as the air passes into the cylinder. Suzuki used to brag on their TSCC Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber, though I don't remember whether they claim it for the S40. That was probably because each of the two inlet valves produced its own swirl.

Turbulence is extremely important within the combustion chamber, as that is the way to insure maximum fuel burn and efficiency. Many combustion chambers are so designed that at TDC the piston almost touches the head, producing a "squish area" that "squishes" the fuel-air mix into the main combustion area near the plug.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/26/10 at 08:56:06

While I think you're on track with your assumptions of increased restriction netting higher fuel flow... You don't give any credit to the straightened air flow yielding greater momentum thus pushing the air thru the carb and packing the cylinder better.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 02/26/10 at 09:08:01

The air is being sucked why would the air be unstraight

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 02/26/10 at 10:43:14

I myself don't believe in much of this, but seems this in in direct contradiction to the "more turbulent air making for better, more efficient air fuel mixture" that is used in the very popular "Toranodo" propellers air flow system, that so many swear by.

Myself, I like water injection,....and then supercharge it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 02/27/10 at 18:24:40

The Jet Scream(rf2inc.com)product description says their honeycomb "laminizes" the air..
at best you may gain 10% over stock...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › turbulator, revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.