Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tearing Into the Motor (Update) (Read 279 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Tearing Into the Motor (Update)
02/21/10 at 19:12:40

OK, please forgive me, I have searched and read, have the clymers and the factory service manuel.  I have looked in them and will look again.

I have a new cam chain, tensioner, clutch cover gasket and rubber plug for the head leak.  I am planning on jumping into it this week, if I can get or make the time.  I would appreciate any words of wisdom that I can get.

I read somewhere to soak the chain in oil before I install it.

Anything else?  I have read up on the procedure, but sometimes things come to me later (I should have done it this way, etc.)

Thanks alot for any help.  I will try to take a picture or two, but I am really not a photographer.

« Last Edit: 02/27/10 at 15:24:26 by prechermike »  

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Re: Tearing Into the Motor
Reply #1 - 02/21/10 at 19:15:21

Make sure you take note where all the head bolts go. I usually make a drawing of the top of the head and put each bolt where it goes. This is one of the common mistakes. Have fun and good luck!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/21/10 at 19:24:37

If you've read clymers and whats available here you're well on your way to doing a good job.  For every thing that's unfamiliar, take a picture.  especially if you have digital.  What may seem to be a dum a$$ picture now may be a life saver later.  If you think your pict's are bad, take a look at clymers.  just getting something in color can solve a question.

bolts go back in with either a little oil or anti-sieze.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 02/21/10 at 19:41:27

be diligent about keeping all parts in labeled bags or boxes as soon as they come out.  Note very carefully the placement of washers and spacers.  When you take the head cover off, check and take pictures of the alignment of the camshaft indicator lines at TDC for peace of mind.  Mine were off a few degrees and I was very concerned when I put it back together.

If you're taking off the belt pully, do it before you pull the engine.  It took three of us straining to the point of injury to get the pulley nut loose with the engine out of the bike.

Keep dirt out of everything.  Cover the engine with plastic when you aren't working on it and keep something plugging all the bolt holes.  

Be careful, deliberate and use your eyes to figure out how everything works and fits.  Don't rely on the manuals to get everything  apart and back together.

Good luck!

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/21/10 at 23:18:06

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

Here is the current detailed trip inside the motor.

Here are the gotcha warnings:

Hit it with the hose and then reinspect to see you really got all the crap out of there.

OK, you are good.  Trundle the bike back into the garage and put it up for the night -- it needs lots of time for all that water to evaporate before you proceed any further.

=======================

GREETINGS EARTHLING -- THIS IS THE FUTURE SPEAKING TO YOU.

It is now at the end of the job and we wish we had done this differently, so we are sending you this message into the past in hopes it keeps you from screwing up or doing it wrong like you already did -- so pay attention !!

=======================

Hindsight Section:

Any time you do a major job you have things you wished you had done differently.  So here they are as they come up to my mind.

1)  Cleaning up the spark plug area for embedded sand grit.  I originally used engine cleaner and then had to go back after it with brake cleaner later on.  Brake cleaner is acetone in a spray can and it can cut the baked on oil/sand crap MUCH FASTER & better than the engine cleaner did.  

I think I did the order of the things backwards, I should have started with the brake cleaner (fast, effective - but temporary) to fast dissolve the encrusted oil, and then hit it with the engine cleaner before the brake cleaner had completely evaporated, this would have suspended all the dissolved crud in the fast disappearing brake cleaner.

(brake cleaner goes away fast, but the thicker engine cleaner does not evaporate much at all).  

All the  fast acting advantage gained by the brake cleaner would have been transferred over to the engine cleaner which then would have continued removing even more of the crud.  I should have paid a lot more attention to the hidy-hole behind the spark plug == a lot more attention.  Then the hard hitting water blast could have flushed ALL the sand away on the first cleaning session instead of making me do two different clean ups.

Ya gotta get all the sand out of all the pockets and hidy-holes or you may wind up with some down inside your cylinder.     Undecided

2) Brake cleaner (acetone) is neat stuff, but it isn't neat for cleaning the clutch cover.  The clear plastic oil level window is fogged by it.  It can likely get fogged by most carb cleaners too.  Engine cleaner may not fog it, but I can't say that for sure because I didn't use engine cleaner on mine.  (Yep, I fogged mine up).  You might try hot soapy water in your wife's sink ....

3) When you work on your clutch rod don't try to take 100% all of the "wear" out of the system.  You do want a little stressed motion left in the system to release the clutch pack.  This is hard to judge because of all the free motion slop that exists in the squared off flat/round junction that actuates the little powdered metal eccentric piece.

4) Assembly lubes on the cam are neat & necessary, as is the Web Cam anti-friction moly coating they leave on the cam itself.  So are all the solvents you used so freely during the rebuild.  Just remember to change your oil after the first hour or so of use to GET ALL THAT CRAP OUT OF YOUR ENGINE BEFORE IT TOASTS YOUR CLUTCH PACK !!!

5)  I sprayed brake cleaner (acetone) on my clutch pack when cleaning the cover surfaces.  The fiber discs absorbed the acetone and thinned out the oil that was originally in them, causing the clutch to lose oil viscosity and "stiction".  The clutch slipped for 3 days but then repeated heatup cycles and oil flowing through the clutch itself stabilized the situtation and my clutch returned to normal function.  Scared me good, but had no lasting bad effects other than that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 02/22/10 at 03:54:43

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff that I was looking to hear.  I have read Oldfeller's thread a couple of times at least, but sometimes another reminder is a good thing.  The encouragement does not hurt, either.  Thanks again!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/23/10 at 09:27:09

Of all the little bolts that hole the cam cover onto the head, some of them have a sealing crsh washer.  Make a map of where all the bolts come from and which one have that washer.
BTW There is one of them you should NOT remove merely to get the cover off.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 02/23/10 at 10:29:25

But he's not gonna tell you which one. Grin

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 02/23/10 at 11:12:00

serenity3743 wrote on 02/23/10 at 10:29:25:

But I really want to know! Smiley

prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/23/10 at 13:18:04

The Loop the clutch cable hooks into will want to hang down as you install the clutch cover. You need to hold it up, cuz once its all together, that thing aint got enuff room to swing back up. Itsapisser.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 02/23/10 at 15:35:35

Savage Gregs CD is a valuable addition to the manuals. I highly recommend it. Also new sealing washers on the required bolts helps prevent leaks. Need a package of 10 as  recollect to do the top and RH side cover. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/24/10 at 09:41:10

prechermike wrote on 02/23/10 at 11:12:00:

It is the one that locks the rocker shaft into the cap. I think I remember that it looked different than the others in that it had a cross notch in the head as if it might be a phillips screw.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 02/24/10 at 10:28:50

Phelonius wrote on 02/24/10 at 09:41:10:
prechermike wrote on 02/23/10 at 11:12:00:

It is the one that locks the rocker shaft into the cap. I think I remember that it looked different than the others in that it had a cross notch in the head as if it might be a phillips screw.

Phelonius

You are correct.  And there is another one beside the exhaust valve inspection cover (front of motor) and portside (left as you sit on the bike).  Be sure to leave the centermost bolt (directly under the top motor mount) in place:  You can't get it out OR in while the cam cover is sitting in place.  

Don't be intimidated by all of the "Be sure you do this or that."  Take your time, plan your work, and you can do it.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Tearing Into the Motor (Update)
Reply #13 - 02/27/10 at 15:35:53

OK, today was the day.  I got a friend lined up and went out early to start.  Well, actually I started yesterday by washing the grease off of the jug, compliments of the plug leak.  I followed Oldfeller's advice, used a brake cleander and a degreaser followed by the water hose.  That made alot of difference.  I wished I had gotten in the hole around the header better, but that is hindsight.

This morning I drianed the oil, removed the battery, took off the exhaust, seat, tank and so forth.  No problems there.  I used a hinge and a pair of vise grips to remove the plug on the left side.  That worked fine.

I set the engine to TDC and then started doubting myself, my buddy was supposed to be along any minute anyway.  So I took the clutch cover off.  That thing was stuck tight, but I got it.  I was cleaning the gasket off when he showed up, a couple of hours late.   Roll Eyes

Anyway, he checked and I was right on TDC, I thought so but just wanted to make sure.  From there it was pretty smooth sailing.  Changed the chain and tensioner, buttoned that up with the stainless allen heads.  That looks cool!

Then we replaced the plug.  It did not seem loose, but was very hard, so I am hoping that was the problem.  The SS allen heads did not work right on the head cover.  (I bought them from another member, I doubt he mixed them up, but you never know!)  So we went back with the bolts we removed, they were fine anyway.  

It has been a long day, but everything worked out well.  I did booger up one of the screws on the decomp thing, even with the Hand Attack Driver, so I need to get a couple of them.  I will get them tomorrow.  That was as far as I got, I need those screws to put that on, to put the cover on the left side, the tank, the seat and the battery (figured I just as well charge it while it was out).  I'm letting the gasket stuff dry and ready to hit the recliner.

Not too bad a day's work.  Not too hard since I went slow and easy.  The clymers and factory service manuel were god tools, but the advice from here was probebly better.  Thanks for your support. Wink

prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tearing Into the Motor (Update)
Reply #14 - 02/28/10 at 11:20:37

The clymers and factory service manuel were god tools, but the advice from here was probebly better.  Thanks for your support. Wink  

Not even god tools can hold a candle to the advice from this bunch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 07:28:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tearing Into the Motor (Update)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.