freakin rear wheel! (Read 296 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
freakin rear wheel!
02/16/10 at 19:19:54

had an entire day planned with the fiance, it was so nice out 2day, but my back tire decided to not hold any air. it'll hold for a little while but not sure why yet.

i'm gonna check the valve stem first cuz that's happened before

BUT i read the clymer and taking the wheel off looks like a PAIN! do i attempt it then bring the tire to a shop, or just have them do the whole thing?

and if i do it myself, can someone explain it to me in english not japanese  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: freakin rear wheel!
Reply #1 - 02/16/10 at 19:31:43

I would try a can of flat fix,It fixes small leaks, it could be just your valve,Spray some WD40 on it and then put air in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #2 - 02/16/10 at 19:35:57

Do all you can yourself. Taking the wheel off is simple, but putting it back on is a little more trouble. You will have to get the belt tension correct and the wheel lined up straight with the front wheel. Not really hard, but troublesome. If you have taken a tire off a bicycle rim you can do this motorbike tire. It is the same process, but harder and more work. I suggest, if you are not experienced or rather have someone else do it anyway, take the wheel and tire to a dealer. It will be good money well spent. If you really don't want to fool with it, take the whole bike to the dealer, but expect to pay more. You will probably have to re tension the belt anyway after to get it back from the dealer. By the way, if you do not have proper tire tools and patches, etc., better take the wheel or the whole bike to the dealer....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/16/10 at 20:18:28

The task may look daunting, cause you don't know how just yet.
I did it when I didn't know much more than how to do an oil change.

Take the seat(s) off
Loosen the rear axle nut
Loosen the left shock bolts (this is the easy way)
Figure out how to lift the rear wheel, a floor jack will do nicely, ropes and a tree work.
stick a couple of blocks underneath to hold it up.
Take the plate off for a little more room.
Take the nut off of the brake cable, pull the cable out and reattach the nut to the cable.
Take the axle out, BTW don't bother loosening the adjusters, keep the left on the left and the right on the right so you don't need to adjust when you put them back.
Take off the left shock, take off the belt guard, if you don't have to fight these it really gets easy.  Oh yeah I fought them.
Slip the belt off the pulley and roll the wheel out.
the pulley just pulls out off of the wheel and the brake hub does too.
Take a look at the spacers when they drop, note which one is bigger (left)

OK?  Take your time.  Speed comes with practice.  Take all day.  Get distracted.  Hey if you don't care of that girl...   Wink

When you put it back together, make sure the slot in the brake hub lines up with the tab in the swingarm.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/16/10 at 21:30:35

Rocco,.... any guy with as much rust and flat black on his bike as you, has to pull his own wheels....
It's really not hard at all,... it just takes a few goes at it to become a pro....
You'll have it down to a five minute job in no time.... Wink

Test 1,...... a dab of spit on the valve stem... any bubbles?... Huh
No?... Bummer... Sad

Peace,
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/16/10 at 21:46:57

Take the wheel off and go to a shop. Tire spoons are NO FUN and you'll likely pinch the tube several times before you get the tire back on the rim. Last time I tried with spoons I pinched the tube 6 friggin times. I finally ran out of patches and patience and took the wheel to the dealer. The time and effort getting the tire off and back on the rim is well worth the +/- $30 to have a shop do it.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 02/16/10 at 21:55:25

haha well half of me says "i want to do everything myself" the other half says "pay someone" and the other half says wait til your friend can help u" lol yes i have 3 halves!

i really hope it's the valve stem, once it didn't let me put any air in it! so i'm hoping that's all it is!

i lost about 20 pounds in about 4 maybe 5 hours, not that slow but not too fast, hopefully the spit bubbles will show!!

and if i throw some fix-o-flat in there how long can i run it like that? the life of the tire?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 02/16/10 at 21:56:20

oh and i meant to ask, if i do take the wheel off myself, i wanna flat black it but i don't think the chrome will stick to paint.....can't put it in my oven lol but i would love to black it out!!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/16/10 at 22:13:28

id just scratch it up really well with fine grit sandpaper and spray with an epoxy based paint. I dont know if thats what you SHOULD do but thats what Id do.
If you have to use a tire sealant I wouldnt go for fix a flat. Id get slime. They make several kinds though and Ive never figured out which would be best for motorcycles but a friend of mine has used it in his nighthawk 250 with no troubles. All kinds available at your nearest wally world.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 02/16/10 at 22:36:05

If you use any type of tire sealant then later take it to a dealer or tire shop to get it fixed, I have found that most will charge you double because of the mess inside the tire caused by the sealant.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 02/16/10 at 23:00:00

+1 with Yonuh,.... Fix a flat, is good for tubeless tires, but tube tires tend to blow, and tear,... and F.A.F. (aka, Slime), just makes a giant mess of things...  
I've even had it cause a flat, by clogging the valvestem so bad, I had to replace it...
A slow leak in a tube tire is usually a leaky valve stem, or a thorn puncture that will hold air with Fix-a-Flat for a while, but eventually tear open, and most likely at an inconvenient moment...

That's just from personal experience,... others will disagree, and swear by it...
Take my advice, for what it's worth... I pride myself on my foolishness... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/16/10 at 23:27:04

agreed with both above posts. Fix-a-flat/slime is the half as$ed way out. And im prone to doing things half as$ed but Ive not ever used slime in my bike tires. I still suggest you remove the wheel and have the tube replaced at least. If your tire is new then Id plug the tire, replace/patch the tube but again...dont fuq with tire spoons unless you're stuck on the side of the road. Just pay the $30. Its worth it. They have machines that make it easy. Wheel removal is fairly easy. Tire removal...not so much. Not on the savage anyway.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 02/17/10 at 07:23:51

yeah i would like to give paintin it a shot, and i'm goin to try the valve stem, hopefully that's it.

i'm just worried about alignment and getting everything just right BUT i gotta learn it eventually u know? lol

SO today(on top of all the other crap i have to do b4 work) i'll try the stem, if not i'll attempt to take it off. i don't have a stand or any kind of wood to keep her up with lol maybe i'll lean her over the lawn mower haha

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/17/10 at 08:09:30

a friend and a milk crate work.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #14 - 02/17/10 at 08:21:34

Pretty much agree with everyone else.  I have used fix a flat on a half dozen occasions over the years, but always in the middle of nowhere, and only until I could get the wheel to a dealer for a new tube and possibly tire.  

I am old enough, that I have patched quite a few tire on the side of the road using the tool kit and tire pump (Yes tire pump) that came standard with the bike. But that all came to an end with the new generation of tires that are almost impossible to bead on the side of the road.  I have even watched shops fight with the darn things.  Great for keeping the tires on the rim, but hard to change.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › freakin rear wheel!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.