Starter Problem (Read 195 times)
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Starter Problem
02/19/10 at 15:48:52

Hi I have a 95 Savage with 20K miles on it. I've never had an issue with it til lately. When I go to crank it up it seems as if my starter solenoid is on the fritz. I have run through all the basic checks: I have always run it on PRI (bad petcock I know, but it's getting fuel to the carb), brand new battery all charged up, new oil change and filter, air filter clean, even a recent carb cleaning. I just don't know what is going on with it. I crank it and it will turn teh motor for about 10 sec then it starts clicking. Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I am almost to the point of of taking it in to the suzuki dealer where they sing Pink Floyd's "Money" when you walk in, that or try to convince you to trade it in on a new suzuki, but I like my old thump. Help is much appreciated thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starter Problem
Reply #1 - 02/19/10 at 15:59:08

cgmarc wrote on 02/19/10 at 15:48:52:
I crank it and it will turn teh motor for about 10 sec then it starts clicking.

Charge battery, I think this is your problem.

Check decomp adjustment, does it go around a couple of times or does it go half way around and stop?

WWW   IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #2 - 02/19/10 at 16:01:27

Battery is fully charged, decomp adjustment I don't really even know what this is or how to check it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/19/10 at 16:14:50

Many people get a new battery only to find out it has a bad cell, so I'm gonna ask...

How do you know it's fully charged?
New battery or what?
Checked the water?

I had a battery that sat for several months, no water, put in a bike and clickety click, put water it, charged it up and vroom.

OK couple other things to check, ground wire.  the battery ground is to the engine case.  look on the case behind the oil level window.  clean and tighten.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/19/10 at 16:29:14

20k miles, you've checked your cam chain adjuster recently?
Any strange chain dragging sounds?
Any clacking sounds from the right side?

WWW   IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #5 - 02/19/10 at 16:33:34

I have been looking at the cam adjusting threads and I gotta say it seems like an intense job for me not sure if I could handle it, but when I crank it there is a sound on the right side, but it doesn't sound much different than usual.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/19/10 at 16:42:09

If you feel something hitting the case from the inside just above the oil filter cover, stop, shut 'er off, get it looked into right away.

Most people will dump a vehicle cause they know they got to put money into it.  and pass it off to someone who doesn't know.  At 20k you are there or about to be.

WWW   IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #7 - 02/19/10 at 17:00:11

This was the way I was leaning too with the previous owner being somewhat shady sometimes a good deal is just too good. No worries, maybe I'll go make it a trade-in...any suggestions I gotta admit I like the new sportster iron 883. Appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 02/19/10 at 17:31:12

Dude, the cam chain is not as difficult as it may seem.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #9 - 02/19/10 at 17:38:38

Now say if I took it into the shop what do ya'll think it would cost? I honestly don't have the time to tear it down(I'm active duty with wierd hours) and i mean i'm not too mechanically inclined.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/19/10 at 20:31:23

someone who knows how can have it done in 2 hours easy.  But at a minimum will cost you a $20 for a gasket.
lollygaggin' about, readin' the good book and drinkin' an adult beverage... all day.  Fixin' is another question, but depends if it came apart or is just loose.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/20/10 at 04:14:01

It cranks for 10 seconds than start clicking... I plus the low voltage theory. either a bad battery or bad ground or bad connecion in starter circuit. Here's quick checks:

1. Jump start it. car + to bike +, car - to bike - from a good car battery. If it doesnt help than:
2. Jump start it again, but car - to bike ground (pick a good clean spot) and car + to bike +. If it doesnt help than we go drastic:
3. car - to bike ground and car + directly to bike starter terminal. Make sure you are in neutral!!!!

we are not trying to start the bike, just making sure what causes the drop after these 10 seconds. Step 1 verifies your battery voltage, step 2 your ground connection, step 3 your positive circuit to starter

Try these and psot what happens. We narrow it down a bit.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 02/20/10 at 04:52:24

Sounds like the battery is failing a "load test", but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad connection somewhere.

Is the new battery the correct one, w/ enough CCAs? (cranking amps)

A load test is normally expected to hold 10.5 volts for 10 seconds. If you are cranking for more than 10 seconds, you could be over maximum for load test.
Not only that, it could take its toll on the starter motor too.

Normally the starter should not be operated for more than 10 seconds at one time. A starter motor is not a "constant duty motor", and can heat up really fast.

note: my automotive specs may need to be adjusted slightly for bikes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/20/10 at 04:52:30

You dont Have to fix it, but with 20K on it, you better look at it & see if it needs fixed. Dont pay someone to look at it, drain the oil & pop the side off & measure the tensioner. Ill bet its time for a chain, at best.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #14 - 02/20/10 at 06:53:06

Agree with some of the above comments regarding the battery. Try and jump it first. With car; make sure car is not running when jumping.

Check battery terminals and cables. The clicking sound has all of the earmarks of a battery problem. When mine died, I though for sure it was something like a starter problem. A jump from a portable battery pack got me started and I was on my way home. Bought a Big Crank. That's all I have to say about that Wink.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.