Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VerSlavy in! UPDATE 2/10/10 (Read 213 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
VerSlavy in! UPDATE 2/10/10
02/09/10 at 00:34:28

Got the VerSlavy Friday, put it in last night. Rained cats and dogs this morning, and cold, wet drizzle this afternoon. Not condusive to a post maintenance ride. Many thanks to verslagen1. Great guy to do business with. Part arrived in three days, Cali to Tx. With this site, it took all of two hours to do the whole job, and a mechanical genious I'm not. Hoping the weather clears enough tommorrow to get 'er out and fire her up. I love this little bike.

« Last Edit: 02/10/10 at 01:23:30 by Jay »  

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: VerSlavy in!
Reply #1 - 02/09/10 at 02:15:17

whats the verslavy?  i got a new tensioner blade, just need to figure out how to fit it  Undecided

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/09/10 at 07:02:39

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

This is the 1st one, in my bike for over 30k miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/09/10 at 13:53:49

Question becomes -- do you really need the pin on that first chain anyway?

Your OE original in the scoot has no pin and you MUST remember to pull the cover around 10-15,000 miles to catch the extension at something greater than 15 but less than 20mm.   If you don't, ya got no OEM pin to save your bacon 'cause Suzuki didn't put one in there.  

This is the maximum danger zone when you really did need the pin and you got no pin to back you up for any accidental laziness/indifference/ignorance on your part cause Suzuki didn't give you one.

When you put the slavy extension on to the steel slider and put it in your second hole position on that first chain, well then you don't need the pin because the chain will move forward until it hits itself (whirrrrrrrrr!!!) and stop moving forward before the pin would ever hit the inside of the slot.  Pin never gets used on the second life of the OEM first cam chain .... the chain "alarms" you itself. giving a strong audible tactile alarm it is time to replace the cam chain and the front side chain guide.

I guess the pin is there for insurance/reassurance that no matter what the spring can't get puked between the gears and give you the big crunch -- and that is reason enough I guess.

But I thought I'd bring the thought up for discussion purposes anyway.  Point being the pin never gets used on that first cam chain, ever.

============

Now, on that second cam chain, then yes it would be a good thing to have as you run at risk for remembering to pull the engine open and look at it after the first 10,000 miles after doing the new cam chain rebuild.  

A pin would be cheap good insurance for that first hole run on the new chain -- definitely worth having.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/09/10 at 14:19:46

If the pin came stock from zuki, then it would get used.
How many times have we said 'check it', 'check it', 'check it' but instead we hear the sad story or the guy just drops off the list?

So if you have a pin, your ankles don't need to listen for the ticking of an impending time bomb. (yes, newb I am trying to scare you)  My ankles have heard it twice, plunger out to 22mm both times.  

If you got a new2u bike, and the PO dumped it on you so he wouldn't have to do the maintainance on it.  You better be aware, or you'll need a tow truck and a new pair of shorts.

These bikes get handed off because the PO is pressured to dump the toy and move up to a real bike or avoid putting any effort into his machine.  Do yourself a favor, get a gasket and check it out.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: VerSlavy in! UPDATE 2/10/10
Reply #5 - 02/10/10 at 01:41:28

Roads were finally dry enough, so at a balmy 33 degrees I took her out for a 20 mile or so spin to see how things look.
After a gentle warm up, I got out on the slab and built up to a nice highway speed. Exhaust note seemed throatier, and she seemed a little sluggish. Hmmm. With my eyes on the road, my ears tuned to the engine, and no traffic to speak of at 0130, I wasn't really paying attention to the speedo.  I finally looked at the guage and realized I was pushing 75mph! A slow down to the legal limit, a quick ckeck of things, and a rememberance that I had purposely not torqued the exhaust pipe at the engine while it was cold; and I had my answer for the throatier exhaust note and sluggishness on acceleration.
She's purring like a kitten, no wait; like a Savage now, and all is right with the world. The bike really seems to be running better, and is just aching to go. Now if only the weather would cooperate. Sadly, the prediction here is for even colder temps and a chance of snow. Sad
Thanks again guys. I'm no wrencher. This site made it happen. I could have never done it without suzukisavage.com.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #6 - 02/10/10 at 04:41:45

Thanx for the pics and the post, hope it warms up and clears up so you can get a longer ride in!!

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-- T.S. Eliot
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 02/10/10 at 06:27:55

Jay wrote on 02/09/10 at 00:34:28:
..Great guy to do business with. Part arrived in three days, Cali to Tx..

Heck yeah, I got mine about as fast, and it was just a $15 leftover for me to play with and either ruin or make a bootleg verslavy.  Which I willget to.  Grin

Does the pin go all the way through the plunger, or does it stop at the spring?  If it goes through the plunger, does it slip through the coils of the spring? It looks to be a friction-fit roll pin.  If it stops at the spring, any concerns of the pin working itself out?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:18:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › VerSlavy in! UPDATE 2/10/10

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.