Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grinding sound and fuel issue. (Read 392 times)
Framtid001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grinding sound and fuel issue.
02/03/10 at 19:58:57

I'll start out by admitting I'm a fairly new rider, only about 2 years.

So towards the end of last years riding season I was going to take a little trip out riding, so I stopped to fill up. Previously I had realized some issues where it was a little difficult to shift into neutral.

First admitted mistake - I filled up with 87 instead of premium. I could immediately tell there was some issue with the gas where i hadn't really had much of an issue with 87. It was a little bit hard to start so I pulled out the choke a little bit and after a while got it running - or so I thought.

I go down down the road a little bit and start experiencing some backfires. I pull over, have issues getting it running. It seems like I can get it started with no issue, but when I try sitting down on it it dies. Or if I don't give it enough gas it dies. My friend recommends me to try using some fuel cleaner that they sold in the gas station I stopped at so I figured why the hell not, I'll give it a try. Didn't really help the issue too much.
There were a couple of times I tried starting it hoping it would take effect and at some point whenever I tried to start I would get this nasty grinding sound from the bike.

I figured that this might have been the issue where I was having trouble shifting around the lower gears and neutral, and it had just gotten more severe since I was starting it a lot trying to fix the issue with the gas. I towed it back to my house.

SO. Here's where I'm at. It still has that grinding sound when I try and start, and it starts sometimes and it doesn't. I figure I'll just drain the tank, put in some fresh premium, maybe replace the air filter (seems like it needs it anyways) and maybe use some seafoam and try and run the bike a while and hope that stuff runs its course.

What do you guys think about the grinding? Just tow it into a suzuki dealership, or do you think it might be a repair I can handle? Anyone had similar issues.

By the way, I feel like a jerk for just registering and my first post is this long winded technical issue. Sorry. My name is Wes!

-Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Grinding sound and fuel issue.
Reply #1 - 02/03/10 at 21:12:07

Hi Wes,...

1. Your bike doesn't need premium gas,... that's not the problem...
2.  Not clear about the grinding noise... is it constant?... only while starting?...  changing with speed?...
3.  stumbling and backfiring, sounds like something clogged in the carb, or a leaking petcock...
Here's a link to test that...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

If the grinding is only when trying to start,... it may just be a low battery charge, caused by the troubles you have been having..
if the grinding is constant even after the bike has started,... I'd check for a stuck starter solenoid or decompression lever... first...

Let us know what you find...  and feel free to ask anything...
remember,.. we don't know where you're at,... so some things may be over or under your abilities....

Take it to the dealer if you are absolutely rollin' in cash... they will love you, and will fix it... eventually.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/03/10 at 21:20:49

first most of us use regular, some don't but very few.

check your air filter
use sea foam
remember you don't have a 20 gal tank, only use about an ounce of cleaner at a time.  and it'll take a tank to clean it out. seafoam is good.
check your petcock and vac line, one little crack is all it takes, better yet replace it once a year.

shifter, if you're having trouble shifting down it needs adjusting.  but the trick to shifting easy is to put your foot on it, not stomp on it, operate the clutch and it should fall into gear.  same thing with up shifting.

grinding don't sound good, (it's ok giggle) you know you haven't told us a darn thing about your bike, what's the mileage, what year?  stick out your tongue and say awh.  nope can't see what color you eyes are either.  

BTW, for a newbe you done all right, posted your question in the right place.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Framtid001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/03/10 at 21:32:49

I want to thank you guys for the REALLY fast replies! very helpful too. It's a 1987 savage with 17k miles. But I'm going to try and switch out the fuel and use some seafoam, and throw a battery tender on it friday! Then I'll check through that link to check the carb and petcock.

I'll post back with what I find. To be honest I had just got sort of pissed off about and haven't messed with it since I had the issue since it was getting cold, so I'll be able to describe it better when I work on it some more.

-Wes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/03/10 at 22:03:05

Framtid001 wrote on 02/03/10 at 21:32:49:
It's a 1987 savage with 17k miles.

Danger will robinson danger.

Are you sure the grinding is coming from the left side?!?!

Well known amongst us long timers is the cam chain maintenance issue on the clutch side.  There's a tensioner that if you let go to long will fall out and start grinding.  See the cam chain adjuster check in the tech sect.

WWW   IP Logged
Framtid001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/03/10 at 23:03:18

I'm sure at some point I'm going to sound like a real idiot here, but please excuse me, I'm young, ha.

So, as far as I understand it, the petcock allows you to switch from on, reserve, and prime, which according to a website I found "bypasses the diaphragm so you can fill the carbs with gas after they have been drained."

So if my bike runs better on prime, there is an issue with the petcock?

I'd like to understand this a little better. I don't know as much as I'd like. So the carb controls the mixture of fuel and oxygen, meaning whether the bike runs lean or floods, correct? and I know (from removing the tank) that there one line that connects from the top of the petcock to the gastank, and one that connects from the petcock to the carb.

So, obviously gas flows down from the gastank into the petcock valve. What does the connection from the petcock to the carb do? Why is it important to plug up the passages while they are disconnected (in the "test your petcock" article) ? Would anyone mind explaining how the petcock and carb work just a little better?

I'm thinking there is a probability that the issue could be the valve.

Backup - I had taken the tank off, and actually removed the back wheel in order to paint the gas tank and rear fender around this time. Just flat black, go figure. Anyways, I HAD noticed a couple of days before this problem that I had some smoke coming off the engine, but I had sort of dismissed it that maybe I had dropped some oil or gas on it accidentally and it was just burning off.

And to your response about Cam Chain maintenance. I'm not really that advanced and had some trouble understanding exactly where to start even, and I don't have a whole lot of tools. Is this something you think I could try myself? Is it worth trying if I'm going to have to purchase a lot of tools, if I'm not even sure this is going to be the problem?

Thanks a lot verslagen and serobot!  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/04/10 at 00:40:26

the petcock has a vacuum operated valve in it.
a line run from the back of the petcock to the carb
when the engine is on, the valve is open
if you run the carb dry, say if you run out of gas, turn it to prime to fill the carb up prior to trying to start the engine.  then back to on when full.

yours is an 87, plenty old, take the vac line off of the carb if any gas drains out, the petcock is bad, plug up  the vac line and use prime to run.

if you can take off the rear fender you can do the cam chain check.

Now you're telling me that you painted the tank and fender, really this can be the cause of your problems.  not getting those lines back to where they belong can cause issues.  vac line from the back of the petcock goes to the right side of the carb.  fuel line on the bottom of the petcock goes to the left side.  if you got a california model, there's a tank vent line that goes to a carbon canister.  and a purge line from the canister to the right side of the carb (small line)

WWW   IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #7 - 02/04/10 at 03:14:48

Don't the 80s vintage savages have a problem with eating starter gears?  No torque limiter on the starter.  This could cause a grinding sound on startup, but sure wouldn't cause the engine to run poorly once you got it started.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/04/10 at 07:51:35

ls650v wrote on 02/04/10 at 03:14:48:
Don't the 80s vintage savages have a problem with eating starter gears?  No torque limiter on the starter.  This could cause a grinding sound on startup, but sure wouldn't cause the engine to run poorly once you got it started.

True, pre 90's have a problem with the starter.  If the engine kicks back on shutoff it can breakout the mounting for the starter.  And some said it can chew up a gear.
Someone came up with a circuit to combat the problem.  But you need to check your starter gears.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/04/10 at 15:53:22

Miles dictate a cam chain check. You can look at the starter gears if you think thats it, after you look at the cam chain. I wouldnt start it again till I laid eyes on that chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Framtid001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/05/10 at 10:45:37

Update - today is my day off (thank friggin' god!) and I'm finally getting some work done.

All of the connections from the petcock were right, as I thought they were. I actually used some pliers to pull the tubing extra tight against the petcock.

I'm draining the tank as we speak and connecting a battery tender. Simple things first!

-Thanks for reading,
Wes

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/05/10 at 11:36:04

id forgo the battery tender and open that ride side up asap.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 02/05/10 at 11:49:03

Forget the battery tender and put a real battery charger on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Framtid001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/05/10 at 12:03:20

BurnPGH - get to that shortly.

And I don't have a "real battery charger". The tender will work for now, I'd rather spend the extra $ on other tools.

-Wes

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 02/05/10 at 13:11:38

Give over, Bill - a Battery Tender IS a real charger. It happens to be a low rate charger and an automatic one, both of which you decry, but it IS a real charger and it WILL do the job.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grinding sound and fuel issue.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.