Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sax Man's rear signal mod (Read 3145 times)
Sax Man
YaBB Newbies

Straight ahead and
strive for tone!

Sax Man's rear signal mod
02/03/10 at 15:11:26

In an effort to make more room for saddle bags (which I don't have yet) I've come up with this modification to move the rear signal lights.  It only requires fabrication of one simple bracket.  Did not even have to cut any wires.  Here is the procedure:

1.  Unplug signal lights from under seat.
2.  Remove fender rails and extract signal light wires.
3.  Remove rubber base from light fixtures.

4.  Fabricate this bracket.  I used 11/4" galvanized stock from hardware store.  The dimension details are at the end of the post.  I tried to be as accurate as possible
with my measurements but as usual you'll want to test fit and double check.

5.  Flatten one side of each of two 3/4" aluminum spacers (from hardware store).

6.  Using some quick set epoxy tack the two spacers to the bracket with the flat sides facing out.  Be careful to align them properly as they must fit inside the license plate fixture when mounting the bracket.

7.  Mount the light fixtures to the bracket.  I stuffed some foam in the ends of the fixtures for water proofing.  I thought about using RTV but disassembly might be impossible if ever needed.

8.  Remove the reflector from the license plate fixture and countersink the two holes.
9.  Mount the signal light assembly using two flat heat 10x32 bolts.

Here is what it looks like from the back side.   You can add two nuts as I did later for extra security.

10.  Carefully cut the bolts off of the reflector.  I used a rotary tool, cutting a little at a time and cooling the bolt in water between cuts.  If it gets too hot you will probably melt the plastic.

11. Using foam tape apply reflector to the license plate bracket.

All that remains is to reconnect the wires.  Route them along with the tail light wires up through the fender hole.  It was a bit testy getting the wire ends through the fender hole but with a little silicone spray it can be done.  Then just plug them back up and you are finished.

A couple more views.

Here are the bracket details.

Have fun

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Sax Man's rear signal mod
Reply #1 - 02/04/10 at 14:43:11

After I got home and started looking at mine, it appears that they changed that area a bit on the S40.  Mine's an '06.  Looks like they moved that reflector, so this modification should be easier!  Woohoo
Don't know if your template will work as far as size, but I bet it still will...

Pics of mine, currently stock:  (

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 02/11/10 at 07:37:24

Ok, my signals came in yesterday.  I was a little nervous because they were inexpensive from Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360231720997&vi... .  
But to my surprise, they are very nice chromed steel, look great, and I love them.  But they are going to have to be mounted differently, because they don't have the stem post like the factory signals.  I would either have to lengthen the bar, or figure something else out.   
I think flush mount would be best, so I was thinking of just drilling 2 new holes in the fender, lined up with the back of the taillight and mounting them directly to the fender.  The wires will reach into the side bracket so my connection will be more protected.  

Anyone see any downside to this, other than the extra holes in the fender?

Here's what they look like...  Mine is an S40, and I have Savage rear signals right now, but these match the front S40 signals better too....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 02/11/10 at 15:29:13

Those ebay directionals look great! I wouldn't drill the fender though ... the original holes in the chromed siderails should do ... these rails come off easily, so remove them and fit the short stem of your new signals should fit thru the holes in the rails then thread the signal light retaining nuts back on the stems on the inside of the rails. Fish wires thru original holes in fender like the original lights ... reinstall side rails with new signals all ready attached ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 02/11/10 at 15:54:22

This is the method I was talking about: (I was considering these from the same vendor as well, but decided that I would like to go with LEDs)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 02/12/10 at 05:45:05

EJID wrote on 02/11/10 at 15:54:22:
This is the method I was talking about: (I was considering these from the same vendor as well, but decided that I would like to go with LEDs)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/0/9/4/webimg/283376463_tp.jpg

I saw their listing with the chrome bar, but from their description, the holes in the mounting bar are too far apart... when I was thinking I would put them up under the taillight, instead of behind the license plate.  Could drill new ones, I suppose.  Or just go ahead and put them behind the license plate.

Perry -- they would look great in the original holes, but I'm moving them because of my saddle bags.  I should have mentioned that.

Bigzuk, I think yours look fine, the pics are tiny though....  But I guess that's what I'm gonna do.   Thanks all!

IP Logged
A-Bolt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vegas Baby
Reply #6 - 01/21/13 at 14:19:40

Did your mod. thanks, great look. Smiley J B weld dimes, tails out, in those holes where you put reflectors.  awesome lookin . cheap too! $4 for tap,plate steel $3.  I used hex head bolts and got nuts to fit in light marker. they don't move.  thanks man Smiley

06 S40,Changes weekly
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:12:57

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Sax Man's rear signal mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.