trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Hello and question
01/28/10 at 15:56:15

HI folks great forum!  Cool
Im an old motorcycle guy (nearly 40 years, Im 49 BTW) and have had a TON of bikes (mostly Honda and Kaws).  Wink
Im currently disabled (severe arthritis) and restoring a 79 Honda 750F Supersport (Its about 85% done). I havent ridden much for the last 10 years or so and I started fixing old bikes  in my plentiful time to have a hobby of sorts. I really really want to ride again though... Undecided

Problem is I cant get on the 750! My Legs are bad and I cant lift them very high. And that 750 is just too  high.    Undecided

I dont want/need anything fast just somehting easy to get on, and somehting to take on evening rides or back and forth to town, sooo...Im looking at possibly buying an 86 Savage. Looks like it will fill the bill nicely for what i want to do. Smiley  Cool ohh and I just love thumpers too!

It looks to be a nice bike and it has a 98 engine in it. It runs BUT the owner says it spits and backfires and thinks the CDI is the wrong one and needs the CDI for the 98 engine.

Therein is my ?? ,what are your thoughts on this being the CDI? It shows a different part number but i dont knoiw what if any difference there is in them.

Im not real familiar with  the Savage and was wondering what your thoughts were here and if there were any common ailments that may cause this.

My thoughts are it could be a carb issue right off the top of my head having been thru a lot of carb issues from bikes sitting, also what about battery voltages? Are these finicky about batteries being right up to run right? He also " thinks" the timing is right.

Any guesses?? I just dont wanna get soemthing thats gonna take a ton of $ to get in ridable condition. Undecided

Thanks, and again GREAT SITE FOLKS! Cool Cool Cool

"life throws ya curves, you learn to swerve"
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Re: Hello and question
Reply #1 - 01/28/10 at 16:04:03

spitting and backfiring are a known issue with the savage.  You need to tune the carb most likely.  check out carb tuning in the tech section.  if you end up getting her, you won't be disappointed, i promise! Wink

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/28/10 at 16:07:02

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/28/10 at 16:14:08

If it's a Savage, it backfires. They are set up that way from the factory. Lots of good info on fixing that issue in these pages.
If it is a issue with ride, there are lots of post on making them fit anyone from 6'6" to 5'1".
Bookmark this page if you decide to buy a Savage. These guys know their stuff!!

IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #4 - 01/28/10 at 16:39:31

Eanon and JB THANKS for the quick replies!! Cool Cool
Also those links look pretty EZ and straightforward and thats what Im liking about this thumper  and kinda hoping thats the way everything is with this bike.

Ill have to ask (Im gonna go take a look at it next week) But I was under the impression he was talking about this bike  spitting and backfiring under acceleration, or at idle. Those links (just at quick glance) seem to be talking about this happening on deceleration or chopping the throttle off hard, and not under acceleration....am I mistaken?? Undecided

Ill try and find out whne its doing this for sure.

THANKS Guys!! Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/29/10 at 08:45:04

Id have to have a look at the valves, adjustment first, then timing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/29/10 at 09:01:56

The CDI between an '86 and '98 are different.
So you best get one for a later year, I think '95 or better.
There's a slight timing difference between the '86 thru '88 models vs. the '95 or better.  If in doubt, select the same year.

And the ig is voltage sensitive, if it drops too far during start, you'll loose spark but it'll rev fine.

WWW   IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #7 - 01/29/10 at 09:45:16

Just the guy I wanted to talk too. Smiley

So you're saying the 86 CDI WILL cause probs in the later model (95 or newer) engine, right? Do you know what probs?

Gotcha on checking the timing for the later model engine . Ill check it.

Also, is the later model CDI a direct swap out unplug/plug in swap, or is the wiring harness an issue as well?

And you're saying the batt voltage is not really too critical except on start up and not cause a drivability issue,  (assuming the bike is charging correctly)  at least not any spitting or backfiring on idle or under acceleration correct?

We can assume the older  CDI is probably causing this problem then?

Sorry for all the questions guys, im just trying to figure out if this is gonna be a major $$ fix. So far, it doesnt sound too hard to fix but may be  somewhat $$ if i gotta get a newer model CDI.

Thanks in advance! Wink

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/29/10 at 11:31:52

If you are having trouble throwing a leg over the low height of the Savage, do not dispair.  Maybe you would be more comfortable on one of the mega scooters.  Yamaha Tmax or Suzuki Bergman come to mind and both are much faster than a Savage.
Or you could do as I do and rig it with a sidecar.  mine has taken me twice up into Canada and a few times into Oregon, both coastal and desert areas, and a couple of times through Idaho and Montana.
35 thousand miles in three years.  It should have been more like 45 thousand but for the time I spent in the hospital and recovering last year. I missed the entire summer.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/29/10 at 11:31:52

I don't have a '86 so can't say for sure, but I've heard the TDC sensor is in a different spot so I'm guessin' the delay to spark is different.

But it does cause the spittin' and sputterin' you're talking about.

Pretty sure it uses the same plug.

If the battery's dead, you're SOL.  If it's low, you should be able to push/jump start and run to where you gotta go to get a battery or a charge.  Some have said the charging circuit not enough to recharge a dead battery.  But some have said a low battery will cause spittin' and sputterin' too.  I generally run at speeds and heats that boils oil, so I usually don't see issues caused at low rpm's.  The generator is capable of 125v open circuit at 5k rpm, that'll charge just about anything.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/29/10 at 11:32:36

If you are having trouble throwing a leg over the low height of the Savage, do not dispair.  Maybe you would be more comfortable on one of the mega scooters.  Yamaha Tmax or Suzuki Bergman come to mind and both are much faster than a Savage.
Or you could do as I do and rig it with a sidecar.  mine has taken me twice up into Canada and a few times into Oregon, both coastal and desert areas, and a couple of times through Idaho and Montana.
35 thousand miles in three years.  It should have been more like 45 thousand but for the time I spent in the hospital and recovering last year. I missed the entire summer.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #11 - 01/29/10 at 11:57:33

THANKS MUCH! THAT answers a LOT of questions and makes it pretty sure that it is indeed the CDI. THANK YOU for your patience. Smiley

Sooo....anyone got an extra/spare/unused 95-98 CDI they wanna sell, or let me borrow for a bit to see if that solves the problem??

Phelonius, THANKS I may have to check those out but i dont have alot of $$ to spare and this Savage is about at my limit as far as what i can spend. Im thinking the low seat height on these  will work...so..we'll see i reckon next week when i look at it.  Wink Im hoping but Im pretty sure it will work though.  Wink Those are options i will check out and i really do  THANK YOU Smiley

I miss riding sooo bad and I  REALLY REALLY wanna ride again Undecided

THANKS FOLKS!! Cool Cool Smiley

IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #12 - 01/29/10 at 13:11:05

Check eBay trublu. I've gotten a couple of parts for my project bike off there for really good prices.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 01/29/10 at 13:33:10

If you use ebay, you might want to search this site for the seller's id before you purchase.  There are a few well-known rip-off artists who sell Savage/S40 parts on ebay.  There are alot of good ones too though, so just do your homework.  Here is one of my favorites...  http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc?_rdc=1
They have a few CDI's listed right now. 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #14 - 01/29/10 at 13:36:23

Totally agree with babyhog. I've bought parts from PinWall Cycle Parts on eBay before and they're great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello and question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.