Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Opinions on cold weather "short" rides? (Read 406 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Opinions on cold weather "short" rides?
01/18/10 at 11:58:44

So, it seems we've had alot of cold weather, all over the country.  We have those lucky few who get to ride all year, and the die-hards that ride when its really cold.  But my question is... Is it better or worse for the bike to take short rides in the cold?  I mean, its 50° and sunny now, but by the time I get home, it will be close to dark, and the temp drops fast.  If I can't get a decent ride in (30 minutes +), would it be better for the bike to not run it at all, or will a 10 minute ride be good enough?  It might be enough to make me feel better mentally, to get a little ride in, but I don't want to do more damage than good to the bike.  

Opinions please....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Opinions on cold weather "short" rid
Reply #1 - 01/18/10 at 12:04:06

If theres been salt on the roads there I wouldn't ride at all,It will rust quick,And look like a junk pretty quick. Motorcycles aren't make to take the salt like a car is. Wait till it rains good to get the salt off the roads,

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 01/18/10 at 12:14:33

It rained yesterday, and the roads are pretty dry and more clean now, but thanks Bill.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Opinions on cold weather "short" rides?
Reply #3 - 01/18/10 at 12:48:39

If you're missing your weather, I found it.
Dam jetstream took a wrong turn in alaska.
Can someone get palin to face east again?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 01/18/10 at 13:53:23

Sure

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 01/18/10 at 14:46:14

babyhog wrote on 01/18/10 at 11:58:44:
.... will a 10 minute ride be good enough? ....

My poor little bike only gets 10 minute rides or less most of the time -- 3.5 miles to work, 0.7 to 3.0 miles to the six supermarkets, pet store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc..   Over five years / 24,000 miles of this abuse.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/18/10 at 14:50:22

biggest thing Id worry about is draining the battery little by little if you take short rides all the time. Once in a while shouldnt be a problem.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 01/18/10 at 15:35:07

I'll second the battery coment- but a battery tender would take care of that issue.  Whatever damage you're gona do to the engine will take place in the first 30 seconds..so many years of this abuse will mean when you hit Paladin's age, you might have to augment the Sav with a luxotourer. Cheesy

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 01/18/10 at 19:15:54

I don't even gear up unless I can at least be on the bike for 1/2 hr.  In my opinion to ride in the cool weather is not worth it for 10 mins.
I want more more more.. O yeah were talking of riding the mc in cool weather..  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 01/18/10 at 19:17:28

My worry would be more with moisture accumulation in the exhaust pipe and the engine oil. I think a run of at least ten miles, with at least a mile or two at highway speed, would be adequate. That would also be enough to recharge the battery, given that the battery is in reasonable shape itself. In aviation, the old saying is "If you start it, fly it." I think the same applies for land vehicles. I think the fairly common practice of starting the engine for a few minutes every couple of weeks "to keep the battery charged" does more harm than good.

If your battery is in reasonably good shape, and there are no parasitic loads on it (radios with memories, clocks, or the like) it will hold plenty of charge for at least a couple of months. I would not bother with a battery tender on a permanent basis. However, it would not be amiss to connect one overnight every month or so.

Naturally, the opinions of others may be different.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 01/18/10 at 20:20:18

babyhog wrote on 01/18/10 at 11:58:44:
So, it seems we've had alot of cold weather, all over the country.  We have those lucky few who get to ride all year, and the die-hards that ride when its really cold.  But my question is... Is it better or worse for the bike to take short rides in the cold?  I mean, its 50° and sunny now, but by the time I get home, it will be close to dark, and the temp drops fast.  If I can't get a decent ride in (30 minutes +), would it be better for the bike to not run it at all, or will a 10 minute ride be good enough?  It might be enough to make me feel better mentally, to get a little ride in, but I don't want to do more damage than good to the bike.  

Opinions please....  

Baby,

My Savage (see signature) is the king of the cold-weather short-riders.  I don't own a cage and it is my "daily rider."  I don't commute, so the bike gets used strictly for errands.

I don't think one or two short rides in cold weather are a problem, as long as you mix in a longer ride fairly frequently.  That's the use mine gets and the engine seems to be wearing well.

What I would avoid is a month of daily 1 mile-long rides in 30 deg F temperatures.  That would not be good.

Bottom line:  Let 'er get good and hot every second or third ride.

JMHO.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/18/10 at 21:00:48

Charon wrote on 01/18/10 at 19:17:28:
My worry would be more with moisture accumulation in the exhaust pipe and the engine oil.

Good point. I would think that so long as the engine gets up to temp that it shouldnt be too big an issue though. Am I mistaken? I do usually let my bike warm up a minute or two longer in cold wheather just to make sure it gets up to temp before I get going.

Digger - Ive never taken a good look at your signature pic before. It always just looked like you were holding a big book or something to me. Now that I've given it a good look...correct me if Im wrong but is your bike painted like a space shuttle? If so, got a bigger pic?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 01/19/10 at 05:33:22

Thanks for all the comments!!   Smiley    I really appreciate the input.

My Big Crank is only a couple of months old (the ole "left-the-key-on" syndrome bit me earlier this year).  I never got my battery tender and I have started the bike a couple of times and let it run for a few minutes, but I was also thinking that wasn't the best idea.  My bike is stored in my heated garage, so I assume that helps.  One reason I hadn't gotten the battery tender is because we need two of them, but as Charon pointed out, we could just get one and share it.  One night a month would be easy.  Think I might just do that!  I wondered how long a ride would fully recharge the battery, so I feel better now.

I didn't take it out last night, but it is warming up outside, so I know I'm gonna get it out real soon.  Vrrroooooommmm      

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 01/19/10 at 06:00:39

Let it warm up good first, have a battery tender and I don't see the problem.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 01/19/10 at 08:48:03

To get full charge you need a battery charger not a battery tender,Just a small 2-6 amp.And they are cheaper than a tender.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions on cold weather "short" rides?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.