Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Checked my Cam adjuster (Read 319 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Checked my Cam adjuster
01/27/10 at 02:00:56

Well, at 15,229 miles, my adjuster is out 19mm. Guess I'm parking it til I can get a "care package" from verslagen1. Now that I've got her just about the way I want her; I just don't want to risk the possibility of turning my bike into a paperweight.
As for riding style, I'm pretty conservative. I've opened her up a time or two, but I don't make a regular habit of it. Peg scraping? Not so much. I have made several highway trips on her, usually at speeds of 65 - 70mph. No more. As for maintenence, I changed the oil and filter four times in the first 1,000 miles and relegiously every 1,000 miles thereafter. Yes I've been told it's overkill, but I just have this paranoia about an air/oil cooled engine not having fresh, clean oil. I used Yamlube 20/50 until 7,052 miles, and then switched to Rotella T 15/40.
Oh justin_o_guy, my insides have the same powder coat looking stuff as yours. What year is yours agian? Mine is a 2008. Could it be something to do with when they put in the 5 speed?
Well, hope this helps somebody with their adjuster. As always, I couldn't have done it without you guys. The stuff in the tech section made it easy. For now, I'm buttoning her back up and waiting on parts. Weather supposed to be bad anyway. Sad

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: Checked my Cam adjuster
Reply #1 - 01/27/10 at 07:41:26

im crackin mine open this weekend  where is it you measure to see how extended the adjuster is?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/27/10 at 09:02:32

The straight cylindrical protion of the plunger that's sticking out of the housing.  Measure from the housing to the edge where it tapers down.  It's suggested to fix it when it's 18mm (.709" or 23/32") but I've ridden it till it was 22mm but it will oval out the housing.
Picture curtesy of rogue cheddar.
This one measures 22/32" almost ready.

« Last Edit: 01/27/10 at 11:32:43 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 01/27/10 at 09:41:46

Jay wrote on 01/27/10 at 02:00:56:
Well, at 15,229 miles, my adjuster is out 19mm. Guess I'm parking it til I can get a "care package" from verslagen1. Now that I've got her just about the way I want her; I just don't want to risk the possibility of turning my bike into a paperweight.
As for riding style, I'm pretty conservative. I've opened her up a time or two, but I don't make a regular habit of it. Peg scraping? Not so much. I have made several highway trips on her, usually at speeds of 65 - 70mph. No more. As for maintenence, I changed the oil and filter four times in the first 1,000 miles and relegiously every 1,000 miles thereafter. Yes I've been told it's overkill, but I just have this paranoia about an air/oil cooled engine not having fresh, clean oil. I used Yamlube 20/50 until 7,052 miles, and then switched to Rotella T 15/40.
Oh justin_o_guy, my insides have the same powder coat looking stuff as yours. What year is yours agian? Mine is a 2008. Could it be something to do with when they put in the 5 speed?
Well, hope this helps somebody with their adjuster. As always, I couldn't have done it without you guys. The stuff in the tech section made it easy. For now, I'm buttoning her back up and waiting on parts. Weather supposed to be bad anyway. Sad

I would think about a good synthetic motorcycle oil the next time around. 15000 miles is low mileage for any motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/27/10 at 09:49:10

I used a small 9" X20" lathe to make a new piston for mine that was 4mm longer than stock.  then i milled the slot and fitted a roll pin to prevent it from falling out.
This allows it to protrude 2mm further than stock and still be 2mm more inside the tube to prevent ovaling.
I posted photos about a year ago.
BTW , when I installed a new cam chain, the piston protruded 14mm new.
I conclude that at 18mm it has only moved 4mm from when the engine was new.
I also posted photos of comparing stretch by bending the chain sideways.  Since stretch is a factor of wear in the pins and holes in the chain, this is a very accurate method.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/27/10 at 11:35:46

Well, we got about the same service life outta the cam chain & I use Rotella T 15-40 & run the everlovin piss outta the thing. I have had to sew the rubber onto the peg on the r/ side because it was splitting out near the end, where its ground down from dragging. A couple passes with some wire & its holding nicely. I dont see how the babying & constant oil change got you further down the road.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 01/27/10 at 13:19:22

Its the type of oil you use not how often you change it. Thats proof that that Rotella isn't to hot of and oil.He should have stayed with the Yamaha oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/27/10 at 13:27:24

Bill is bored and he wants to play oil war again.  

Sorry Bill, no oil war today .... everyone is being nice so let's see how long we can keep that pleasantness going.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 01/27/10 at 13:35:17

Klotz Hi Performance techiniplate M 4 racing oil,Zero wear oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/27/10 at 15:48:14

3 cheers for the winner, Klotz Hi Performance techiniplate M 4 racing oil, the Zero wear oil.

Hip hip, Hooray !!     Hip hip, Hooray !!     Hip hip, Hooray !!  

(short war, wasn't it?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/27/10 at 15:49:11

I'm still not convinced that it's not an "intended" design flaw. The average mileage for this engine size is about 3.000/year, according to Kelly Blue Book:http://www.kbb.com/company/faq/motorcycles#mv_8
That's about 5 years, pretty much the service life for a "beginner" bike. The folks at Suzuki probably figure that the intended market for this bike (of which we are clearly not) would not own the bike longer than that, and needn't bother with redesign and retooling.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 01/27/10 at 16:02:19

Earlier Savages cam chains appear to have lasted longer -- part of that puzzle lives with the original cam chain vendor admitting that they no longer exclusively supply the cam chains for these bikes any more.  There is some input that Suzuki is having some of their engines built in other countries now, using that country's supply base for the bits and pieces.   Cost is king, and Japan is not exempt from that equation.

============

On our end, Lancer is selling an improved nitrided pin chain from the original supplier of the chain that should move things back towards the longer life span.  We as a group are smarter now about oil and other wear related items, so it should help somewhat again.

However, we are also modding more drastically for higher RPM performance now, so we should see a current going the other way as well.  You spin the engine fast, you should expect accelerated wear on the valve train components.

I think we should be aware we need to pop our covers every 10,000 miles at most and simply take a look inside to see what is going on.  That is just simple prudence.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/27/10 at 19:17:34

"I think we should be aware we need to pop our covers every 10,000 miles at most and simply take a look inside to see what is going on.  That is just simple prudence. "

Sound advice. At 15,000 + miles, I was just lucky. Admitedly, I was putting it off because I thought it would be complicated. It took all of an hour; and that was going very slowly, with the Clymer's open, and a laptop in the garage logged in to this site. If I'd known what a relatively simple, straight forward procedure this was, I'd have done it a few thousand back! Now putting on the VerSlavy doesn't seem so daunting a task, and will get me a little more life out of the cam chain. Replacing the cam chain, well that's another story. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #13 - 01/27/10 at 23:49:48

do you buy the cam chain as an endless chain with a rivet link to break if you want to

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/28/10 at 00:14:08

Nope, and when you see the cam chain on our bike you will understand why.  Ours you take the gears off and slide the loop out, then replace the new loop the same way.

Some bikes (4 cylinder types) have a cam chain set up in the center of the crank shaft and the cam chain is of a type that can be broken and master link restaked, those you start the new chain to the old chain and rotate everything around holding tension to keep the teeth engaged .....  but ours is not that type.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:18:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Checked my Cam adjuster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.