Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear wheel bearing problem? (Read 276 times)
jabman

England
Rear wheel bearing problem?
01/25/10 at 06:40:31

Hi all,

ive had a problem for a while with a clicking noise coming from the rear of my bike. ive had problems with the belt squeaking but ive got the tension and alignment sorted so its stopped squeaking now. But im still left with a rhythmic clicking noise  click..click.....................click..click
my only guess is a bad rear wheel bearing or pulley bearing so i think i will get a kit with the 2 small bearings, larger pulley bearing and dust seal.  Embarrassed

what do you guys think.     ive made 1 stupid mistake today aka over filled the oil and couldn't figure out why it took 6 attempts to start

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Rear wheel bearing problem?
Reply #1 - 01/25/10 at 07:18:10

One issue than can do that is if the nut that holds the front pulley is not tight - it lets it rattle around on the output shaft - It's fairly easy to check.

I have an older post around here some place with pictures as to what will happen if this is ignored - several folks have found that nut to be little more than hand tight and it should around 90lbs on it if I remember correct

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 01/25/10 at 07:23:40

and look at the belt really close - it is possible for a rock or other trash to punch through the belt and stay put inbetween the teeth

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 01/25/10 at 07:36:56

does the rhythm of the click change as the speed of the bike changes?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 01/25/10 at 07:40:07

yer ive pulled one stone chip out already  Shocked

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 01/25/10 at 07:56:14

im sure its louder when im sitting on it and rolling it

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/25/10 at 10:37:14

If the front pulley isnt loose, Id get the rear off the ground & spin the wheel by hand & see if theres a noise. Rolling on cement is pretty quiet, too. Got a sidewalk or garage floor? Maybe you could just roll it in Neutral & get your noise to show up. I kinda doubt its bearings. How many smiles on the bike? Ive seen some high smileage bikes & no reports of wheel bearings going out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 01/25/10 at 10:53:26

yep ive tightened up the pulley bolts. And I still get the noise even on a smooth driveway.  its only got 12k on it (1993) and like you said i haven't herd of anyone's bearings going. There is no any play in the wheel either.  the bearing set is £16/$25, not very expensive. but it would waste a lot of time if it doesn't do anything Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/25/10 at 11:21:26

Yea, but if it allows you to remove one of the "It could be this" lines from the list, maybe its worth it. Besides, you may stumble across the problem while youre in there. If you dont want to drop the $$$, maybe you could pull the rear wheel & inspect everything & IF you need parts, order them. Is that too much down time for you? Hey! Can you get the bearings & then go into it, & if you dont need them, return them?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/25/10 at 11:28:41

I picked up an '88 and the head bearing was really stiff causing me to wobble all over the place.
Finally took it apart, buffed the bearing races which were pitted and relubed.  Fine now.  Just goes to show you that any bearing can go bad.  Just depends on what gets thrown in there.  If no maitenance is ever done to it, you'll never know.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/25/10 at 11:43:14

There are three sets of bearings in the rear wheel assembly
Two in the wheel hub and one in the sprocket hub.
Grab onto the sprocket and try to wiggle it sideways with one hand at the back of it and one at the front.
The sprocket bearing is the one most likely of the three to go bad because of the belt tension trying to make it tilt.
you do not even have to get the wheel off the ground to do this.

phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/25/10 at 11:43:32

There are three sets of bearings in the rear wheel assembly
Two in the wheel hub and one in the sprocket hub.
Grab onto the sprocket and try to wiggle it sideways with one hand at the back of it and one at the front.
The sprocket bearing is the one most likely of the three to go bad because of the belt tension trying to make it tilt.
you do not even have to get the wheel off the ground to do this.

phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #12 - 01/25/10 at 11:54:22

the rear belt pulley does wiggle when you pull on it yes. come to think of it the previous owner did have the belt very tight as well. this kit states that it does have a rear sprocket bearing, you can buy just the sprocket bearing for £4/$6.50? but it would be a bit of a gamble.  its my only working bike at the mo. the 2 stroke dirt bike is getting a top end rebuild, grrrrr dam 2 strokes.    Angry

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/25/10 at 12:06:34

jabman wrote on 01/25/10 at 10:53:26:
yep ive tightened up the pulley bolts.

you've tighten the front one? - there's only one a 32mm - just now did it again on the '95.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #14 - 01/25/10 at 12:20:53

yep thats the one  i had to get someone to hold the rear brake to keep the thing from moving.  And the rear ones aswell

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:18:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel bearing problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.