Send Topic Print
Half face helmets (Read 1029 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Half face helmets
Reply #45 - 01/17/10 at 07:42:18

"Guy crossing the center line, crossing lane 1, crossing lane 2, I'm not moving from lane 3 to the shoulder -- I'm going for the lane 1 that he's vacated.

U-turns are not done at 50 mph -- he gave warning by going slow.

I check my mirrors and do a head check to boot for the guy passing in the grass (Actually more for other cycles passing traffic.)

I don't ride alongside vehicles, if they start to move sideways I have the choices of speeding up or slowing down and letting them have the space."

I want to ride where you ride.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #46 - 01/17/10 at 12:35:19

90249 -- Suburb of Los Angeles.  I am about four miles from the Flash Point of the Rodney King Riot.  15-25 million people in a 100 mile radius.  My uninsured motorist insurance is more expensive than my liability insurance.  Been here since '65.  Have never hit anything with a vehicle.  Have only been hit when stuck stopped in a cage unable to escape.  We have the best drivers and the worst drivers.

WWW   IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #47 - 01/17/10 at 18:09:16

-anyway, has anyone sneezed in their helmet? -stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #48 - 01/17/10 at 21:36:17

stratman wrote on 01/17/10 at 18:09:16:

Oh yeah,.. definite....  as I said,.. with time and practice you can learn to sneeze downward....

One time,.. I was riding with the flu, and had a lozenge in there... It was kinda' strong so I was flippin' it over and over,.. and I somehow flipped it out of my mouth and stuck it to the chinguard...
Then, I spent the next 10 miles, tryin' to stretch my tongue to the guard to get it back...
Nearly crashed... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #49 - 01/17/10 at 23:55:59

stratman wrote on 01/17/10 at 18:09:16:

Numerous times, and haven't gooped it up much, yet... Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 01/18/10 at 00:42:41

Not so bad, sneezin in a helmet. Just gotta control it, let it out thru the mouth. I used to sneeze very violently, but have learned how in recent years,, gee, now I think about it, since I started wearing a helmet..I am no longer so completely taken over by the whole "body spasm & scream" sneeze. Being on a creeper, tight, under a car, now theres a bad place for a big sneeze. Smack a forehead on something..DAMHIK

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #51 - 01/18/10 at 18:18:29

Since I have no desire to continue a back and forth discussion on statistics.    I found a good sight with loads of statistics that are all referenced to the original publisher.  If anyone is interested in them the link is below.  Even though the word estimate is used, these all seem to be legitimate sources (and yes most statistics are based on estimates).  Many of them are comparisons between fatalities in states that have switched between having universal helmet laws and not having them.  I thought the section entitled "How do helmet laws affect motorcyclist deaths and injuries?" was particularly telling.  

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use.html#cite3

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #52 - 01/18/10 at 20:10:35

I am Highly Interested -- in the truth.

"the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Highway Loss Data Institute is wholly supported by auto insurers" -- http://www.iihs.org/members.html

Most automobile-motorcycle accidents are the fault of the automobile, and it is to the automobile insurance companies benefit to reduce the number of targets.  These companies do not care about *life* -- they care about money.  Motorcycle Helmet LAWS reduce motorcycle ridership by a large percentage.  In California motorcycle ownership dropped 39% after the passage of our mandatory helmet law.

The IIHS is *NOT* an unbiased source.

The Claim:

" NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of crash fatality by 37 percent.  Norvell and Cummings found a 39 percent reduction in the risk of death after adjusting for age, gender, and seat position."

*IF* this were true, the States that mandate helmet use would have a *significant* reduction in deaths per motorcycle accident due to "Based on helmets judged to be compliant with federal safety regulations, use was 73 percent in 2002 and 78 percent in 2008 among motorcyclists in states with universal helmet laws and rose from 46 to 50 percent among motorcyclists in states without such laws." (from item 4)    The fact is that States that mandate helmet use would have an insignificantly *higher* rate of deaths per motorcycle accident.

The Claim:

"Are there drawbacks to helmet use?  Claims have been made that helmets increase the risk of neck injury and reduce peripheral vision and hearing, but there is no credible evidence to support these arguments."

Ignore evidence that disproves your position, ignore drawbacks you cannot address.  When I am riding, or driving for that matter, I am constantly moving my head so as to watch all of the traffic all around me.  It is not physically possible to move your head as fast with a helmet on as without.  You cannot break the laws of physics.  They do not address the problem of fatigue associated with the weight of a helmet.

There is obviously *some* drawback to Helmet Use as the States that mandate helmet use have insignifiantly higher rates of accidents per motorcycle ownership and deaths per motorcycle accident.

Yes, accidents and deaths and thefts decrease with the passage of helmet laws -- due mostly to the reduction in motorcycles.  Yes, accedents and injuries increase with the repeal of helmet laws -- due to a marked increase in ridership, with new unskilled riders who are at greater risk of accidents.

============

For me the bottom line is that States that mandate helmet use have  roughly 80% riders with DOT helmets and those that do not have roughly a 50% DOT helmet usage.  If helmets were significantly useful in preventing deaths in motorcycle accidents the Nanny States would have a significantly lower per accident death rate.  They do not.  Repeating the Shinola from the automobile industry does not address this fact.

WWW   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #53 - 01/18/10 at 20:58:09

Yes, this site is presented by an insurance group.  I think only one of the 32 references used  on the site were gathered from insurance based publications.  Many were scientific medical journals(Annals of Emergency Medicine,  American Journal of Public Health, American Journal of Epidemiology ect).  Some other sources used were the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.  The reason references are sited is so you can check the validity of the sources used.  No site is wholly unbiased.  It costs money to put up a sight and there is always an agenda behind money.

Paladin,  I am not in favor of mandatory helmet laws.  If you do not want to wear one I have no problem with that and it is possible that you are safer without one.  However, I do not see a big conspiracy or cover up in any of these statistics.  There is so much data, from several different sources, all pointing to the majority of cyclists(maybe some are safer without do to special training) being safer with a helmet on.  There is even another study from Spain finding a 25% decrease in crash mortality in helmeted riders (They do not have our insurance companies or government if that is the problem).  My point in posting these stats is one of information.  I like to be as informed as possible when making my choices.  Since I do not have any special training that allows me to be a totally safe driver and sometimes even I (gasp) make mistakes I wear a helmet.  

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #54 - 01/18/10 at 21:03:24

I guess that I will throw my two cents in.  Over the years I have ridden with all the options-no helmet, half helmet, three-quarter helmet, clamshell, and Full face.  Currently, I have a full-face for the Winter, and a 3/4 for the Summer here in Tucson.  I wear them for comfort, not safety.

I would like to make two points in this debate about what kind of helmet.  First, the Hurt report (The only true large scale study of motorcycle accidents.) found that wearing a helmet reduced the incidence of serious injury and death.  Their data did not show a statistically significant difference based on the type of helmet.  Wearing a helmet was important.  What type of helmet wasn't.

Second, I would point out that all law-enforcement motorcycle officers, not only in the U.S. but in Europe as well, wear 3/4 helmets.  Maybe they know more than they tell us.

« Last Edit: 01/19/10 at 11:06:22 by gerald.hughes »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 01/18/10 at 21:17:37

gerald.hughes wrote on 01/18/10 at 21:03:24:
...I would point out that all law-enforcement motorcycle officers, not only in the U.S. but in Europe as well, wear 3/4 helmets.  Maybe they know more than they tell us.

A motorcop has to be able to communicate at all times.
Taking off their helmet also would mean a moment of breaking eye contact with the perp and in some cases involve both hands.

WWW   IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #56 - 01/19/10 at 06:22:23

I switched over to a full coverage helmet with a flip up chin bar in the late 1990's. I found oune that was comfortable and thought I could learn to like it.
I quickly learned that I wanted to ride with the face shield flipped up and shortly thereafter with the chin bar flipped up/

Two years ago I bought a short - 1/2 half helmet. I liked it immediately It is lighter more comfortable and easier to use.

I think for a long ,ulti day ride at high speed I would put my full cover back on - but for day runs or to run to the store and back ( I ride from our summer home in western Canada) the 1/2 is my helmet of choice

IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #57 - 01/19/10 at 07:48:12

When buying a helmet make sure it has a Snell (SMF) endorsement. The DOT endorsement means that it meets the minimum standards (which are very low) and manufactures need not offer any proof of that. The Snell standards are higher, every helmet with it must comply and the manufactures are required to submit their helmets for testing if they want the Snell rating.

Snell: http://www.smf.org/
Helmet Safety: http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/beginningatv/a/atvriderhelmets_4.htm

Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #58 - 01/19/10 at 07:54:02

qp wrote on 01/19/10 at 07:48:12:
When buying a helmet make sure it has a Snell (SMF) endorsement. The DOT endorsement means that it meets the minimum standards (which are very low) and manufactures need not offer any proof of that. The Snell standards are higher, every helmet with it must comply and the manufactures are required to submit their helmets for testing if they want the Snell rating.

Snell: http://www.smf.org/
Helmet Safety: http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/beginningatv/a/atvriderhelmets_4.htm

I could be wrong here, but I believe when I was shopping for a full face and considering a modular with the flip up chin, the salesman asked me if I wanted one with a Snell rating. Apparently only full face helmets with a fixed chin are even eligible to be tested for that rating. The Snell rated helmets that he had were also about 3X the price of the rest of them  Shocked

I ended up going with a DOT approved full face that FIT and I am happy as a clam  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 01/19/10 at 09:53:33

there are a few Snell approved 3/4 helmets or "Open Face" so that was just an upsale technique or a miss guided sales person which we all know is impossible Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:17:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Half face helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.