Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What if your battery dies (Read 638 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
What if your battery dies
09/27/09 at 10:05:37

What if your battery dies while you're out somewhere ,and you can't start the bike .How hard is it to start by popping the clutch while you run with it,and should you use first gear?Also ,where can you get just cables for the battery that you can attach indefinately to charge the bike or possibly jump it?Another thing ,if your battery has caps on the cell ,do you have to remove them when you charge it ,or will the gas go out the vent? Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What if your battery dies
Reply #1 - 09/27/09 at 10:19:40

Depends on how big you are....

Less than 160lbs?... try 2 or 3rd gear...

over 200lbs?... just do it....

under 120lbs?... call a friend...

Trickle chargers usually come with pigtail connectors that mount permanent to the battery...
I don't pull the caps to charge... but check your water level before you charge..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 09/27/09 at 10:27:46

Happened to me one night last year at my place of employment. Lucky that I had a flashlight and access to a computer. Went inside, posted here and concluded that it was indeed the battery. The guys from the restaurant next door tried to help me pop the clutch with a push start (all flat ground) in the parking lot but gave up after a few tries.

I called AAA (RV) and prepared the bike by removing the tool bag cover, and everything else that needed to be removed so that the jump would be quick. Only took a few minutes. The AAA guy used a portable jump pack and I was running a couple of minutes after he arrived.

Most important thing I've read regarding getting jumped from a car, is that the car should not be running during the process. After that, I bought mini jumper cables as it's a tight fit in there.

FSO
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 09/27/09 at 13:24:11

Thanks ,very useful  info.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 09/27/09 at 15:13:40

Order a Big Crank ETX15L  $57.95.  Mine arrived in 3 days.

~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #5 - 09/27/09 at 15:32:06

pop starting is fairly easy but you have gotta be careful. The idea is to get the bike moving with the ignition on and in neutral. Once at speed, put it into second gear to get the right speed/torque ratio. Then drop the clutch fairly quickly and roll on the throttle. You can even jam on the starter button a few times, but thats not necessary. It will buck a few times and hopefully start. If not or the tire skids, then you aren't heavy enough or are too slow. Try a different gear, faster, or steeper incline. If it works, be sure to pull the clutch and get it under control because with the throttle wide open, it will try to bolt.

Ideally, the best way to do it would be to have a friend push you as fast as they can on a somewhat flat/downhill surface. Although, if you are by yourself, push it down a hill or run beside it and jump on before popping the clutch. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE BIKE! If not, once it gets started you will go careening out of control being dragged behind like a rag doll until you are stopped by the nearest curbside, dumpster, parked car, etc. Also, if you are on a hill, make sure that its not so steep that you can't push your bike back up if the first attempt fails.

This may seem daunting, but once you get it, a dead battery will seem like only a minor inconvenience. And its better than waiting for the AAA guy. Just be sure to run it long enough to charge the battery once you get going. Good luck.

-G

p.s. this is why I wish the Savage came with a kick start

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/28/09 at 09:53:17

I think kick starting a 650 single might be an interesting exercise. But speaking of kick starters, when is the last time you saw a car with any sort of backup manual starting system?

I strongly suspect a motorcycle with a dead Big Crank will not start any more easily than one with any other brand of dead battery. And the Big Crank will go dead for exactly the same reasons as any other battery, including old age, poor charging, too many accessories, and so on. True, you will not have to add water to the Big Crank, but if you overcharge it long enough to make it lose its water, you CANNOT add water for makeup. "Maintenance Free" also means "Maintenance Not Possible."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 10/04/09 at 08:20:46

Very true about the Big Crank and other sealed/maintenance-free batteries: they will work great until they don't. I talked to a guy at a really cool little motorcycle shop recently who told me that sealed batteries don't last as long as regular ones.

I have a sealed battery that the previous owner put in and it has died so many times i can't keep track. probably due mostly to riding short distances without enough time to recharge. i got a battery tender, that seems to be about the best solution.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/04/09 at 10:12:37

I use the terminal on the starter to jump it. Much quicker. Contact on, neutral, sidestand, jump bike ground to car ground. Engage clutch. Jump car battery + to starter terminal. Starters spins - bike should start. I also do that every time I change something (rejet and such), to save the battery a bit.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 10/07/09 at 15:13:22

It seems jumping the bike to the starter terminal is the way to go .Is there anything trickey about it ? Should you have the ignition switch turned turned on before you hook up the jumper cables ?Also whats the best place to pick up a ground for the negative ? I was thinking of using the brake pedal . Is that a bad Idea?Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/07/09 at 15:40:30

jumping to the starter term will spin the starter.
any bolt on the frame would be ok
i'd refrain from something that moves like the pedal
the thru bolt just below it is better.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/08/09 at 06:22:27

Ignition switch?? Yes:
dasch wrote on 10/04/09 at 10:12:37:
I use the terminal on the starter to jump it. Much quicker. Contact on, neutral, sidestand, jump bike ground to car ground. Engage clutch. Jump car battery + to starter terminal. Starters spins - bike should start. I also do that every time I change something (rejet and such), to save the battery a bit.

Tricky? Yes! Don't short anything. And one important thing:  this will NOT jolt the battery, this will crank the bike up!! You do everything you would usually do before hitting the start switch (look the sequence above), and then (and only then) you touch the starter terminal with hot jump cable.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/08/09 at 20:25:59

"Battery death" can mean different things.  All cells get weak equally (low charge) all of the above thread stuff applies.  You have a surface charge of 12-13 volts and your electronics will fire if you roll the bike over manually.

Short some cells out though (sludge bridging) and you don't get but 10 volts or less on your surface charge.  Surprise, your little black ignition module sez "screw you, go buy a new battery" and will not function at all.

This is why you check the battery voltage before trying to charge it, just to see if you have some shorted cells.  After just a few seconds of slow charger you should see over 12 volts, if it lingers around 10 something and is slow to go higher -- you got a bad cell.

A jump start from a known fully charged good battery can overcome a bad cell and get you running again.  Just remember not to cut it off or stall it until you get home.

So, when fighting a bike that won't start, try to get a jump from somebody sooner rather than later.  You got to feed 12 volts to your ignition module for it to fire the spark plug.  Doesn't have to be real amp full 12 volts, but must have enough juice behind it to make a spark and spin the starter.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
whistler2000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/13/09 at 15:33:21

Oldfeller, you mentioned shorted cells on the battery. Well, mine quit on me about 1.5mi. from home. Headlight, neutral light, and tail light all off when I turned the ignition on to re-start it. Turned out battery died (showed 12vdc, but low amps). Had meter on battery showed 12vdc, but when I switched on ignition, voltage went to 0vdc! I replaced the battery and it started, but I haven't had a chance to take it out for a run. Do you or anybody think I might have a charging problem or do you think the battery was old. I haven't had the bike too long. It's a '87. I did notice the old battery was alittle swollen on one side.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/13/09 at 15:36:15

I don't see how it could be swollen unless it froze at one time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:33:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What if your battery dies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.