Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Half face helmets
Reply #15 - 01/14/10 at 12:24:57

With practice,... you can learn to sneeze downward....  keep wearing the FF and the practice will come naturally...

Piglett,... I like both halves of your face... bet hubby does too...
Wear a FF.... Kiss

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 01/14/10 at 12:36:53

Serowbot wrote on 01/14/10 at 12:24:57:
With practice,... you can learn to sneeze downward....  keep wearing the FF and the practice will come naturally...

Piglett,... I like both halves of your face... bet hubby does too...
Wear a FF.... Kiss

Thank you darlin', I may be able to handle a modular...  Next time I'm at the motorcycle shop, I'll try one on, just for you.  

But I think back to the motorcycle safety course.  They compare the risks that bikers take to climbing a ladder.  The riskier you are at climbing a ladder, the further you have to fall, therefore, the higher risk of injury.  This compares to the risks you are willing to take riding a motorcycle.  I am a very careful, non-risky rider overall.  I rarely even ride over 55 mph.  So to me, the risk of the 3/4 helmet is lessened by my increase in other safety measures...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #17 - 01/14/10 at 13:33:03

yep i second the ff  when my dad crashed be face planted another car (not his fault)  and lost all his front teeth  there artificial now and you carnt even tell  he was wearing a ff helmet  but i don't like think what would have happened if he had an open face.

another friend got in the same situation  the chin section of his helmet was  scraped and broken, his chin was bloody and bruised but not broken

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
raggedred
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

granbury  texas
Reply #18 - 01/14/10 at 13:49:09

i had a wreck last year with no helmet 20 mph put me in hospital three weeks    in reguard to the person wearing glasses try putting your fulface helmet on by putting your face in first insteed of pulling it down over ur head, works for me i never have to take my glasses off!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 01/14/10 at 16:01:27

I got hit by a truck last year...  and I'm still pretty... Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 01/14/10 at 17:33:52

babyhog wrote on 01/14/10 at 12:36:53:
...But I think back to the motorcycle safety course.  They compare the risks that bikers take to climbing a ladder.  The riskier you are at climbing a ladder . . .

I am a professionally trained climber of ladders and stepped poles.  I am terrified of heights.  To pass the class I had to install a mid-span clamp.  The "span" is the telephone cable between poles -- just lean a ladder against the cable in between the poles and climb up to the cable and attach a clamp.  As the cable sways.  Fun.  You get religious about safety.  Proper angle, always maintain three points of contact, don't over reach.  I will decend and move a ladder six inches rather than have a shoulder past the ladder rail.

I'm about as bad on the bike.   I am checking both mirrors every five seconds to track the vehicles behind me.  Every intersection is scanned before entering for any possible incoming vehicles.  As I pass each intersection I check further to the sides for vehicles that may be coming in behind me.  I really need to figure how to mount a head camera to take a video of how much I am looking around me as I ride.  A heavy helmet stops me from riding in the manner that has kept me collision free since 1964.  If I am t-boned by a red-light runner doing 35 mph I don't see a helmet doing me a whole lot of good.  I figure collision avoidance trumps collision survival.

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/14/10 at 17:59:45

I felt that I should weigh in here having had some experience with open face helmets. Aside from the long term physical damage of an accident there is the cost. A short flight over a Dodge Stratus cost me a broken nose...and $56,000.00. Mind you, there were no other broken bones and no road rash and only one night in hospital for observation. Eventually the insurance paid off but it took 10 months and a lawyer.
Buy a full face...and wear it.
JB

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 01/14/10 at 18:40:30

Vigilance and caution will save your a$$ 99% of the time...

FF is for the 1%...

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #23 - 01/14/10 at 21:07:13

Don't know about other states but here in MN they took away my medical liability on my cycle insurance. The state says they don't have to take the financial risk. Make sure it's somebody else's fault.

As to helmets, I wear a full face with the chin bar that folds up. I can slip the visor up a bit, half way or put the chin bar up like a 3/4. It's only my second helmet, the first was a $30.00 Bell 3/4 which is noisy and a bit too large. The visor I got for it helped a bit but not much.

Most of the serious injuries and most of the accidents happen at under 20 mph. A lot of those head injuries are from simply falling over and smacking the ground from 6' or so at pretty slow speeds. Doesn't take much to snap a neck, break a jaw or permanently un-pretty a face. If you leave the bike at over 45 mph or so I'm not sure any helmet's going to be a huge help. The helmet might survive but the stuff in and under it are going to get whacked around.

Drive offensively defensive and look everywhere twice. When I was in training for my CDL my training driver was always asking me what the mile marker was, what color the car in back of me was and if the guy who just passed me was wearing sunglasses or not. His point was that you need to always know your environment. I try to take that to the nth power when I'm on the bike.

Jack

IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #24 - 01/14/10 at 22:51:54

FF is for the 1%...

....I didn't think there were any 1%'ers without the winged skull on their jacket.  I don't know about other states, but in California i think it's against the law for a harley rider to wear anything more than a half-face (more likely a bean- cap).  I have a full face now, i was just thinking about getting a half face as an extra helmet.  Thanks for all the responses.  Serowbot your picture made me soil myself.
- the stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #25 - 01/15/10 at 17:30:15

I wear a ff and have been very happy with it. I also wear glasses and when they fog up I lift my shielf a bit and that clears them.

Also here in Wa. We can ride with our shields up as long as we have some kind of eye protection. So my glasses help with that as on hot days I am able to lift the shield while riding for some nice air cirulation.

It also keeps the bugs out of my teeth and the bird s*it out of my eyes as well as mouth..  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #26 - 01/15/10 at 22:25:28

Serowbot wrote on 01/14/10 at 18:40:30:

FF is for the 1%...

No...  due vigilance will keep you safe better than 99.999% of the time.  The helmet is for when you fail to be vigilant.  I learned my lesson in '65.  I have not run into anything since.  People have only managed to hit me when I have been stopped/stuck in traffic.  No other vehicle has ever touched a motorcycle I have been on.  If thought that there was any chance that someone could get past my guard and nail me I would not be riding a motorcycle.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 01/16/10 at 00:42:41

Paladin. wrote on 01/15/10 at 22:25:28:
No...  due vigilance will keep you safe better than 99.999% of the time.

Yeah,.. I was that confident, once...

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #28 - 01/16/10 at 07:34:59

"The helmet is for when you fail to be vigilant. "

So how old are you and what got past your guard?  What should I be looking out for?  Right now I am watching every vehicle within 100 feet of me for errant moves.  I am checking every incoming path that a vehicle may take.  As long as I don't slip up I figure I will have sufficient warning to avoid the collision.  Yeah, I can miss the idiot doing 120 mph through a red light -- but that is less likely than being struck by lightning and "gear" wouldn't do any good anyhow.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 01/16/10 at 08:54:47

Believe me,... you only think you're covered...

Pay very close attention to what you watch, and notice,... there is a point of no return.... your hand covers that brake lever right up to that point and then relaxes, instinctively knowing no avoidance is possible past that point...  You are not safe,... just past the point of no return...
That's the point when you have committed to crossing the line of fire...  At that point, no braking or swerving will get you out of the way, and a totally ridiculous move on the cars part will result in unavoidable collision...

After you get hit, recover, and you start riding again,... that point is a lot easier to see...
I call it the flinch point...  It's the point where I can feel what it felt like to get hit,... gets easier after about 6 months... but you definitely know when you are crossing it...  with every car you go by...

That point is there... and no amount of reflex, skill, or vigilance can avoid it...

I've ridden for 30 years with about 10 years of off-road experience, and I'm still light, fast, and fit...  if I can't avoid it,... neither can you... nobody can...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Half face helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.