Send Topic Print
Half face helmets (Read 1029 times)
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Half face helmets
01/13/10 at 16:47:50

OK this is kind of gross.  Has anyone been riding with a full face helmet and had a sneeze attack?  I was riding yesterday with a bad head cold and had about 4 in a row.  I had to pull off the road for a few minutes and clean up the helmet.   Putting up the face shield doesn't help much.  I'm thinking of getting a half face helmet, but i know they don't   provide any protection for the chin.  Also when i'm riding in the fog the face shield fogs up on the inside.  Then i have to put the shield up and wipe my glasses every couple hundred feet.  whatchathink?

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Half face helmets
Reply #1 - 01/13/10 at 17:51:44

a faceplant in the wrong helmet would be gross - you just put anti-fog on your shield

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/13/10 at 18:17:41

Started riding in '64.  No other vehicle has ever contacted one of my bikes.  I have never had an occasion to "use" a helmet.  They do interfer with my safe riding.  Since I am in a Nanny State I wear the lightest helmet I can find, just to be legally allowed to ride.  IMHO, the purpose of a DOT Beanie is to meet the Letter of the Law -- they are basically useless as far as any real world protection goes.  If you are not legally required to wear a helmet the choice would be, as fasr as I figure, full face for the highway and nothing in the city.   I do not need protection -- I need to be able to avoid the collision.  Which means I will not ride with a head cold -- if I'm impaired I want a steel cage around me.

Fog on the other hand, is COOL!  I love riding in the fog.  Speeds are below 35, which means I do not need eye protection from the wind.  Ride bare faced, grinning.  Nothing between me and the world to block vision -- I can see better than anyone else, hear better.  (If you need glasses for distant vision the above might not apply.)

WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/10 at 18:39:21

I have a problem breathing without a full face helmet on, at speeds over 35 mph it gets hard for me to breathe. that and I'm one of those people with a whole head, not a half head so . . . and bugs have splattered all over my face shield before, and i mean big giant dragonfly bugs and June bugs sound like stones bouncing off a windshield when they hit my helmet, and massive clouds of mosquitos. . . and I would feel more secure if I would ever have to dump my motorcycle if I have to slide with a helmet on.

So to each their own, but that's why I like full face helmets

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 01/13/10 at 19:10:46

I wear what I've always heard called a 3/4 helmet.  Has a full face shield, its just minus the part that covers your chin and mouth.  Opposite of LostArtist, I feel smothered in a full-face helmet.  I CAN'T breathe in one.  I love my helmet.  I figure it isn't quite as safe, but to me, its a trade-off that I'm willing to accept.  The only problem I've had with it is when I first installed my windshield, the face shield had a tendency to fly up when I passed a big truck (traveling in the opposite direction, not going around one) but once I adjusted the windshield, I haven't had the problem.  My husband has a half helmet, full-face, and 3/4 and he prefers the 3/4 also.  Just our 4 cents.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 01/13/10 at 20:39:20

I use a 3/4 with a flip up shield. Good precription sun glasses and the visor up in the city. Face shield down on the hiway. At hi speeds my eyes don't like the wind.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #6 - 01/14/10 at 04:39:47

I wear a full face helmet. If you wear the cheapest, just legal brain bucket, you must sign a waver so I do not have to pay for you to be on life suport when your brain dead. Thats what freedom has to offer, pay now or we pay latter!  Sad

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 01/14/10 at 05:15:04

alcoa wrote on 01/14/10 at 04:39:47:
I wear a full face helmet. If you wear the cheapest, just legal brain bucket, you must sign a waver so I do not have to pay for you to be on life suport when your brain dead. Thats what freedom has to offer, pay now or we pay latter!  Sad

I read an article about a very extensive helmet test that was done and the Price of the helmet does not necessarily equate to the amount of protection.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
Its very long, but hey, its our heads we are talking about! 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 01/14/10 at 05:34:16

I've always used a 3/4 helmet with sunglasses and full size windshield for almost 40 years.To me the full helmet restricts vision.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 01/14/10 at 05:35:26

It all depends on the weather (raining/temperature) on what helmet I wear. I have a half helmet and a 3/4 helmet with face shield for cold/rainy weather. If you go with a half helmet, use a good pair of glasses/goggles to keep the wind out of your eyes.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 01/14/10 at 07:31:56

I grew up riding snowmobiles with a 3/4 helmet until I was about 12, then switched to a full face helmet and I've never looked back.

I've become so accustomed to the full face that when I got this bike and needed a new road helmet, I thought I would try a 1/2 helmet, but I felt so exposed.  If something were to happen, I want to be here for my wife and kids, so I chose another full face and feel much more comfortable about it.

Just my $.02  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 01/14/10 at 08:06:22

I have a 3/4 helmut. Didn't care for the visability with a full face. I figure that at my age, if my chin is on the hard top, I might just as well kiss my *ss goodbye.  Sad

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Stones

Married to a Texan

United Kingdom
Reply #12 - 01/14/10 at 11:38:20

I use a full face Arai and an open face helmet.

The open face is for local riding and fly catching on a nice day.

The full face gives more protection imho.

Depends on my mood really  Smiley

ALLIANCE MEMBER
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 01/14/10 at 11:44:44

Full face for winter, open face for the rest of the year.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/14/10 at 12:02:59

I think my next helmet will be one of those modular helmets that goes from full face to 3/4 helmet, biggest reason is I wear glasses and I hate taking them off to put my full face helmet on, they've already slid off my seat once and I stepped on them, luckily only a screw popped out and had to be replaced, also hearing all these comments about visibility is making me think of trying a 3/4 face helmet.  but I ride mostly at 60mph so not sure how I'd feel about using one of them the whole time

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Half face helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.