Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Putting on the goods... (Read 790 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Putting on the goods...
01/11/10 at 00:26:05

So tonight I started putting on all the goodies that I've accumulated in the last couple of months.

Here's what she looked like before I started to get her "dressed"

First was to install the Memphis Slims Windshield and mounts. Was fairly straight forward. Took all of about 15 min to install both the mounts and the shield. (The shield seems a little shorter than I was expecting (15"), but my other shield in mind was just a flyscreen, so I'm sure this will provide much better coverage)

Next was the first piece of lugguge, the fork bag. 2 minutes max to get this baby on...  Grin

Now it's time to put on the Saddleman bags & brackets. Upon removal of the sissy bar, I found that the oversized tire was rubbing on one of the bolts even before putting the brackets on. Only rubbed a small portion of the tire, so I will have to make sure I switch to the button head bolt for the problem bolt. Also will have to move the signals since these bags are pretty substantial.

Since I've got it on the stand, and I'm stuck at this point (need to get bolts/pvc/screws) I think I'll tackle putting on that Dyna muffler too.  Shocked

Here's the stock muffler pulled off, as you can see, it looks like there was an exhaust leak where the header connects to the muffler all along..  Undecided

Here's the new one next to the old one, notice the difference in the shape...the Harley is straight and the Suzuki has a bend. Gonna have to get a short adapter pipe from the muffler shop this week to get it put back together. It looks like if I get a piece of pipe with about a 10o bend and about 5 1/4"- 5 1/2" long, I should be able to use the stock muffler bracket, then I will just need to get a new heat shield to hide the adapter pipe.

And one last shot of where the pipe used to be...

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the pipe, I would appreciate them, otherwise I will try and see what the muffler shop can do if I bring in those measurements and the Harley pipe this week.

As soon as it warms up and they clean the sand off the roads again I will be giving it the test run, so I'm gonna have to look over Lancer's post about jetting again and see what I will need to make her purr...  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Putting on the goods...
Reply #1 - 01/11/10 at 06:45:41

Looks good!  Love the pics, keep 'em coming.  The saddlemen bags are similar to mine.  I still need to do something with my signals too.  Thanks for reminding me....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 01/11/10 at 08:57:06

When I went with the Harley muff I rode up to Midas with the bike and muffler. I forget exactly, but for no more than $20.00, they had made an adapter pipe, welded it to the header, welded a bolt to the back of the muff to line up with the stock mounting bar and put everything back together. In my case, without a pipe bender and not being able to weld, it was money well spent. And it probably gave them something to talk about for a few days.

That was almost three years ago and everything is still hanging in there where it belongs. I think, however, that the muff is getting louder so it's probably getting about time to swap it out with the other of the pair I bought at the Harley take-off sale back then for $20.00. The only thing I need to do now is figure out how to get a bolt onto the second muffler. I still don't weld and they miffed be a bit when they wouldn't do the muffler on a shuttle bus I converted to an RV. It's just they do such nice work at reasonable prices.

Jack

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 01/11/10 at 09:26:17

my dyna was a straight fit  i didn't need to fabricate anything  that was with a 1993 savage tho  Shocked

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 01/11/10 at 13:02:35

Well, I had the morning off, so I scurried around picking up the misc parts I still needed to put her back together. First stop was the muffler shop where I took in the Harley muffler, but not the header. Guy was surprised about the size and didn't think he had anything, but low and behold he comes back with a piece of scrap about 6" long that will work. I asked him about bending it and he said that it would take out the flange type shape needed to put it on the header, so he couldn't do it. I guess I will have to coerce it back and see what I can come up with.  (Cost $0.00)

Next stop, Lowe's for pvc, misc bolts & screws. Tried 1/2" pvc conduit last night and the ID is too small, so I picked up some 3/4" pvc conduit which looks like might be a hair too big, but I can always shim it to make them work. Picked up some shorter screws for attaching the lights to the pvc as well (so they won't crush the wires). Tried to find some mushroom allen head bolts to replace the "problem bolts" that will attach the saddlebag brackets, but they don't carry anything like that. After some hemming & hawing about a few different options, found some phillips head screws that were the same size as the bolt, but had the mushroom like head I was looking for. Also had to pick up some longer bolts for the front ones that attach the bag brackets and some new bolts to try and attach the muffler.  (Cost $7.89)

Off to the next store, Fastenal, for an extra exhaust clamp. Sad to find out they only sell them in a 10 pack (I only need 1 more). Instead I go to Checker Auto and pick up an exhaust clamp there and I think I'm all ready.  (Cost $1.37)

Now, when am I going to find the time to put it back together  Huh
Hopefully in the next night or two, then I will have to run it and see what my options are for rejetting the carb.

By the way, I picked up all the add ons from ebay and saved a bundle. For a total of about $145 [retail would have been about $530] I think that I have made a huge difference it the way this bike looks. Now, if the weather will hurry and warm up I'll be able to get back out and enjoy it again.

Saddlebag Brackets ($28.94) [retail is $90]
Saddleman Bags ($31.12) [retail is approx $130]
Fork Bag ($17.00) [seller said he paid $60 last year]
Memphis Slims Windshield ($20.99) [retail $142]
Memphis Fats/Slims Mount ($35.00) [retail $105]
Dyna Muffler ($0.00 - included from PO when purchased) [don't even want to know the retail...lol]

« Last Edit: 01/11/10 at 14:40:39 by EJID »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/11/10 at 14:58:23

theres an OLD post in the tech section about that adaptor piece (10" 7d
bend??)for the hardley muff had midas do one for me once for $0,and a local shop did one for $5..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #6 - 01/11/10 at 15:03:35

Lookin' good EJID!

Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/10 at 15:26:46

sounds like you found some great buys EJID!!  wish I was that lucky Wink

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 01/11/10 at 15:34:09

LostArtist wrote on 01/11/10 at 15:26:46:

Patience on ebay was the way to go. Missed several auctions by $5 or less, but that's why it took a couple of months to get the things that I wanted too. And winter deals for bike parts seem to be pretty good  Grin

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 01/25/10 at 10:12:33

Not the most productive weekend, but I did get the signals mounted and wires extended. (They work right too!)

The 3/4 PVC conduit worked great, and was real easy to work with, but this is definitely a temporary fix for me. The most difficult task of doing this was drilling the bottom of the PVC where the screw goes in to hold the light on the tube. Mis-measured and drilled them a little too far in from the edge and couldn't fasten them. Had to elongate the hole slightly to attach the signals. I think they are secure, but I intend on replacing both the front and rear signals with LED signals when I get a chance (gonna have to get the LED flasher from www.superbrightleds.com when I do it so they flash at the right speed too)

Maybe I can get the rest of the saddlebag brackets and bags mounted this week so the only thing left will be finding a shop willing to cut/bend the adapter pipe for the Dyna Muff.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 01/27/10 at 20:40:59

i didn't use any muffler joint or anything, i stuffed a mountain dew can between to the pipe and muffler to make it tight lol

and then i made a bracket to work with the brackets on the sporty muffler, no welding, just some bolts, a header bracket from an 1800 vtx that i sawed in half, and a drill  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 01/28/10 at 07:22:10

Rocco wrote on 01/27/10 at 20:40:59:
i didn't use any muffler joint or anything, i stuffed a mountain dew can between to the pipe and muffler to make it tight lol

and then i made a bracket to work with the brackets on the sporty muffler, no welding, just some bolts, a header bracket from an 1800 vtx that i sawed in half, and a drill  Grin

I tried putting it on without an adapter, but maybe my Dyna muff is longer than a sporty muff because it would slip on the header pipe, but the tail end of the new muff was touching the brake arm. I don't feel like risking the rear brake's functionality for adding the Dyna muff, so if I get an adapter to turn it out just a bit it should work.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 01/28/10 at 07:50:29

the one i have doesn't fit snug unless i spin it on, and it only fits snug with all the harley writing pointin up lol oh well, gotta sacrifice for loud...and cheap!! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 01/28/10 at 16:41:35

EJID wrote on 01/11/10 at 15:34:09:

Patience on ebay was the way to go. Missed several auctions by $5 or less, but that's why it took a couple of months to get the things that I wanted too. And winter deals for bike parts seem to be pretty good  Grin

Oh yea,  patience on ebay will be rewarded with great stuff for dirt cheap.  You have to make a list of what you want and then set your max price, and then go with it.  If you loose an auction then just move on and wait for another.  I spent 6 months searching for a pair of Progressive shocks and finally got what I wanted for what I wanted.
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ?
Oh yea.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 01/29/10 at 08:59:57

LANCER wrote on 01/28/10 at 16:41:35:
EJID wrote on 01/11/10 at 15:34:09:

Oh yea,  patience on ebay will be rewarded with great stuff for dirt cheap.  You have to make a list of what you want and then set your max price, and then go with it.  If you loose an auction then just move on and wait for another.  I spent 6 months searching for a pair of Progressive shocks and finally got what I wanted for what I wanted.
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ?
Oh yea.

I did the same with my Mustang seat.  Bid on a few, let 'em go when it gets too high...  Patience can be a real b!tch sometimes, but does usually pay off!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Putting on the goods...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.